Author Topic: Coming to a downtown street near you: BRT Photo Tour  (Read 1868 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Coming to a downtown street near you: BRT Photo Tour
« on: February 22, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
Coming to a downtown street near you: BRT Photo Tour

Yesterday we touched on the potential negative effects of JTA's BRT plans for downtown.  For those who don't know, those plans include taking up a massive amount of parallel parking spaces on several major downtown corridors and putting bus lanes in their place.  Without a doubt, this is something that definately does not fall in line with the goals of working to turn downtown into a massive zone of vibrant pedestrian oriented activity.  Today, we share a photo tour of the affected areas.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/349

Lunican

• The Jaxson
    • MetroJacksonville.com
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 11:29:41 AM »
This is the most idiotic plan I have ever heard of!  I especially love the Bay Street Town Center and the idea of speeding buses flying by every few minutes!  I hate this city

J

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 01:25:44 PM »
Dan - I don' t think saying you "hate this city" is very productive.  If you do hate it, feel free to leave.  Otherwise, please try being more constructive with your criticism.

longlunch

BRT Porposal
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 03:29:03 PM »
I emailed my Council rep, Art Graham, expressing my concern over the effect tthe BRT project will have on downtown and other neighborhoods, urging him to review alternative studies (going so far as to link your site's posts on the matter).
This was his response - verbatim:

"Nick,

We arae [sic] pretty much committed to this plan"

that's it. he didn't even bother to put a damn signature on it.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
It's time for a mutiny!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 04:14:12 PM »
That's the problem.  We have those in leading roles committed to a plan, despite it possibly being the biggest potential failure and waste of public funds in Jacksonville history.  At the very least, one would think if there were alternative ways to reduce the price of the system and have more of  a positive impact on the community, those in charge would do everything possible to make sure those ways were explored.  

Nevertheless, until the Council officially approves the $100 million in BJP funds for right-of-way purchasing and the Federal Government signs off on fully fund their share of the billion dollar price tag, pointing out the weaknesses in this monster is fair game.  Sounds like it's about time for a public mutiny.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jarzenka

why?
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 04:27:36 PM »
Ask Art Graham why they are committed to this plan. I bet they don't even know.

I also bet they haven't reviewed the routes, read any of the reports, or thought about the implications of the system at all. Which brings up a good question; who has?

If you are committed to a bus plan that costs more than rail, you better have a really good reason why.

Lunican

• The Jaxson
    • MetroJacksonville.com
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 05:07:39 PM »
What are email addresses that we can send more complaints about the plan too?

mike

bad idea
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 04:29:31 PM »
removing street parking in any part of downtown will be counter-productive to the efforts to revive the area.  For heaven's sake, even New York-- where most people really do ride the bus or the subway-- has on-street parking!!  Where exactly in downtown Jacksonville are bus routes being hampered by parked cars?  This is crazy, unnecessary, and contrary to everything the city is trying to do to bring downtown back.

Downtown Lawyer

Insanity
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 01:53:19 AM »
If the City tries to ram this hairbrained scheme through and take out the parking spots in front of my building, I would consider suing.  This is the most moronic downtown plan in a LONG list of moronic downtown plans.  It simply must be stopped.

longlunch

Email to Art Graham
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 11:05:43 AM »
I just emailed Art again asking why the council is "pretty much committed to this plan." I'll post his response, should he bother to reply.

nick
ricottapark.com

02roadking

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 07:52:56 PM »
Well, the way I see it  is this plan will be somebodys cash cow for years to come. Certain construction companies will benefit the greatest, along with their pals in the steel, concrete and asphalt companies. I'm pretty sure that those same bunch of companies have, and will be, donating to the war chest of sitting and future elected officials in the years to come also. Can a legally binding referendum be started to stop this madness or we just at the mercy of our "elected" officials on this one?
Springfield since 1998