Author Topic: BRT Coming to Blanding Boulevard  (Read 12385 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
BRT Coming to Blanding Boulevard
« on: February 24, 2009, 05:00:00 AM »
BRT Coming to Blanding Boulevard

This week, Jacksonville's first bus only lanes will open along Blanding Boulevard between Morse Avenue and 103rd Street.  This project offers the community a real life local example of Bus Rapid Transit in action. Will it be a success or will it serve as a monument displaying the reasons why investment in rail should become JTA's top priority?

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/1016

jeh1980

Re: BRT Coming to Blanding Boulevard
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 06:39:37 AM »
I think that it's a real giant step for us. I think it will work out for good. First BRT, then rail may soon follow suit :)  8)

robbie davis

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 07:46:59 AM »
This is the dummest idea that I have ever heard or. We have fought the construction on this section of road for over two years hopeing that when finished the rush hour traffic would move smoother and faster. After two years of construction and much much money spent we are still right where we started. We still have two lane traffic. Only three ways to get into Jacksonville from Orange Park Roosevelt blvd,295 and blanding. I am not alone in my feelings for this stupid project. Has the genius that came up with this project ever tried to get in or out of jacksonville during rush hour or any hour? Someone has stepped in it on this idea and believe me I am not alone in my feelings. Be prepared to hear from sane people on this stupid idea.From the looks of the BUS LANE cars will still have to slow to a crawl to get around the bus because the BUS LANE is too narrow. STUPIDITY AT ITS FINEST.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 07:55:53 AM »
Welcome Robbie... Do you drive this stretch daily?  Where are you coming from and going to?  What times?  Would you be willing to post your daily experiences?  Jacksonville is pretty new to mass transit and growing pains are to be expected.
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

copperfiend

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 08:38:12 AM »
I used to work at the Sir Goony's on this stretch of Blanding. I haven't been there in a while but am surprised to here this is where the bus only lanes will be.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 08:43:33 AM »
It will be interesting to see how the flea market deals with parking on the weekends.  That's when those parallel parking lanes used to really fill up.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

stug

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 08:50:38 AM »
Yuck.

brockalee

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 09:13:42 AM »
I think this is a good idea. It's very dangerous when you find that you're stuck in the non-moving group of cars behind a parked bus, then you try to merge into the other lane of fast moving cars... (I've been there many times.) Hopefully this will remedy that and they can extend the bus lane beyond the current plan.

The most frustrating part of my morning drives in this stretch is on Wednesday going past the flea market. There isn't a safe place to cross the street near there, and it's scary to see an old lady jogging across the road - especially when she doesn't see the oncoming vehicle because she's stepping out in front of a vehicle that's turning in the middle of the road!

But to continue with the bus lane comment, I hope it works! Now we should have two lanes that continually move and one "frequent stops" lane. Nice work JTA!

reednavy

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 09:26:40 AM »
Robbie, I think it is quite funny on 2 parts. You said dumbest, but can't spell it correctly. 2nd, to get to 295, you have to take either US 17 or Blanding. So technically, it is only 2 ways in and out of the county.

Not a big fan of more buses, but I will give this time to evolve and then judge it, because right now, Jacksonville needs all the help it can get.
Jacksonville: We're not vertically challenged, just horizontally gifted!

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 09:38:27 AM »
Welcome brock... let us know how the commute progresses.
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

David

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 09:43:11 AM »
Robbie, I think it is quite funny on 2 parts. You said dumbest, but can't spell it correctly. 2nd, to get to 295, you have to take either US 17 or Blanding. So technically, it is only 2 ways in and out of the county.

Not a big fan of more buses, but I will give this time to evolve and then judge it, because right now, Jacksonville needs all the help it can get.

Ut-oh, the Spelling nazi's at it again.

Watch this, this'll drive him nuts:

Tim Deegen.

reednavy

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 09:59:15 AM »
Considering the post made no real sense. At least make your first post good and check your facts before saying 295 is a way in and out of Clay County, because it sure isn't.

Saying it is stupid and all, fine, but at least give it some time to see what happens. Lastly, a 3rd lane on Blanding would not do anything to relieve the traffic on that section because 3 lanes in Clay County sure hasn't done it.

IMO, rail should've come well ahead of the BRT idea.

ac

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 10:09:12 AM »
Call me cynical, but I'm just waiting for the first aggro driver or scofflaw to try and appropriate these lanes and get pancaked by an express bus.  I have a feeling it won't take long.

Seriously, I'm hoping that this enforces the need for more mass transit infrastructure, but at the same time illustrates that rail is the better option over BRT.  Is that possible?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 10:23:37 AM by ac »

David

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 10:18:14 AM »
I'm not arguing with you about the other points Mr. Navy, you are correct there. I have a wait and see attitude about the whole BRT thing. My expectations aren't very high though.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 10:35:02 AM by David »

reednavy

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 10:29:49 AM »
My expectations aren't very high though.
Amen.