Author Topic: Downtown's Red Tape  (Read 2136 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Downtown's Red Tape
« on: April 26, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
Downtown's Red Tape

What do Fuddruckers, Einstein’s Bagels, and Chamblin’s Uptown have in common?The opening of these businesses was delayed by permitting issues. Business after business have attempted to open a location downtown and have been delayed for weeks, and in some cases even months, because a merchant did not have the right permit, or did not apply for the right license.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/397

vicupstate

Excellent topic ! Needs more work though
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 07:02:31 AM »
How about some interviews with these folks.  What specifically have they run into?  How about sending an unidentified 'reporter'  through the process.  
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

clayton bixby

job security
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 09:01:15 AM »
a complicated permit process ensures job security for those city bureaucrats whose livelihood depends on that process.  It makes perfect sense, in the bizzaro world of big government that we have today.

JJ

Clueless and Dopey
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 01:39:37 PM »
Are city leaders and clueless. They don't care about downtown. And when they try, they manager to screw it up. This city goverment blows!

JJ

Sorry
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 01:40:15 PM »
I meant "our" not "are" but I am sure the grammar police will let me have it,

BagLady

My 2 cents
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 11:50:20 PM »
I agree with vicupstate. Send in someone, an 'unidentified' reporter to investigate, someone posing as a business person.so that we can get further insight on the problems.

As the other poster (Clayton) said, "a complicated permit process ensures job security for those city bureaucrats whose livelihood depends on that process."

This is the root cause!   ---Finally, JJ, don't worry about the grammar, because your comments were right on point!

It's not fair or right that our city leaders, when they seek election or re-election, they make so many promises that they know won't be kept. We need new businesses downtown. I'm old enough to remember when we had a lively, thriving, downtown. It wasn't Madison Avenue or Rodeo Drive, but there was enough "Southern bustle" in the downtown area for the residents to feel proud.

We had May Cohen, Furchgotts, Ivey's, Woolworth's, Kreskge's, WT Grant's, JC Penneys, Diana Shop, Mangam's, Young Men's, Rose's, various furniture stores, others that I can't remember. I very rarely go downtown any more as there's just not too much there any more. Parking is a mess downtown, so that discourages visiting and too many simultaneous one-way streets one, two, and three before there is another street going in the opposite direction.  

If there are "illegal" mis-spellings here, and there probably are--it's been so long since those stores I mentioned were here---I think I'd better apologize to the Spelling Police before I post my comment.   :-

joey

Parking???
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 08:57:29 AM »

Can someone please explain to me why our downtown has a parking issue? on every corner there is a parking station (which I never use because there is always a spot on the street). I just don't get why people complain about this all of the time. In my experience our downtown is very accsessable by car and should be a non issue when it comes to attracting customers to downtown stores. There may be a problem with the amount of parking garages taking up prime real estate but not the amount of parking spots. If you want to see a parking problem go to SoHo on the weekend. That's an issue.

NeoUrban

Same issues in Springfield...
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 11:23:18 AM »
Permitting issues also caused problems for the Springfield Farmer's Market. Specifically, the Duval County Tax Collectors Office (who gives out permits and licenses) does not communicate with the Historic Preservation Committee. When zoning codes downtown contradict with the zoning overlay in the Historic District, they defer to the Downtown codes which do not necessarily apply to Springfield. We need a strong City Councilperson in our District who will push for TND ordinances AKA "SmartCodes" that will boost mixed-use friendliness rather than the current constrictions. See links like http://www.sustainable.doe.gov/landuse/tools.shtml  for more info.

mtraininjax

Stirr the pot
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 12:39:13 AM »
Go get 'em Kevin! What is next to take on, perhaps the Ski Slope overlooking Queen's Harbor?