Author Topic: A New Look for East Bay Street?  (Read 18845 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
A New Look for East Bay Street?
« on: February 12, 2009, 05:00:00 AM »
A New Look for East Bay Street?

A proposal to expand the East Bay Street landscaping is making its way through city hall. If implemented, the plan intends to add trees, new sidewalk pavers, and a median in an effort to emulate a street like Las Olas Boulevard in South Florida.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/1002

Charles Hunter

Re: A New Look for East Bay Street?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 06:02:44 AM »
Isn't the City also working to install special traffic signals to make it easier to "one way" Bay Street to get people to and from the Stadium?  I swear I've seen that someplace on this board.  How will this work with a narrow street that has a median in the middle?  Do the City departments talk to one another?

Oh, and the renderings show Bay Street could be very attractive.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 07:06:37 AM »
Why take up a lane of traffic for trees and flowers?  I guess this means streetcars, trolleys or light rail is out of the question... argh.... ???
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Lucasjj

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 07:44:54 AM »
This is a waste of time and money. The only thing this does is take away a perfectly good travel lane and further impede development in the future. Downtown does not need money spent on putting trees in the middle of the road to make it better. To better invest this money downtown, how about fix and upgrade the fountatin.

downtownparks

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 07:49:14 AM »
I agree. Waste of money. Put a trolley car down the middle if you want to help Bay St.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 08:02:06 AM »
I suppose if it creates jobs though... :-[
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

archiphreak

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 08:26:20 AM »
I wonder what intersections they'll block with the median like they did in Springfield on 8th street.  What a waste of money.  I agree with the Trolley idea.  Introduce some FUNCTIONAL improvements to our streetscapes.  Oh well.  Another idiotic idea from our fearless leaders.   :-\

downtownparks

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 09:10:10 AM »
This is just Main St Pocket Park, part duex.

xian1118

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 09:13:09 AM »
Since when has everyone been so hell bent on making downtown beautiful before you make it practical? I guess this would make Bay Street a "well landscaped" ghost town...

If you will it dude, it is no dream.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 09:16:49 AM »
This is one that has not gone through the city council yet if you have thoughts on this let them know.  On many issues MetroJacksonville takes a position is there an official site position on this one? I am in the undecided group.
Lenny Smash

David

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 09:24:08 AM »
If the goal is to truly create an entertainmenet district on Bay st, I'm all for it.

As for traffic flow on weekdays and games/special events, yikes. That alone might kill it.

Carl

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 09:42:18 AM »
This is not well thought out, it seems. Doesn't the City use Bay St for parades and such for holidays? (e.g, Veteran's Day?)   If so, how will the bands, floats, or large groups get down the single-laned road with a median in the middle? Is anyone thinking about anything other than entertainment?

I just don't understand why someone would want to clog up the City with more traffic congestion and a single-laned road which is one of the main arteries through the City. As for the parking, every time someone tries to park, that vehicle is going to cause all the traffic to back up.  And what about Fire & Rescue?  Are we forgetting the "Great Fire" of Jacksonville? We need to preserve, at least, a two-laned roadway.

And, has anyone mentioned the cost for the roundabout that is supposed to also go in at Laura Street?

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 09:49:26 AM »
Why does Jacksonville always have to emulate or mimick other cities, and to add to that, emulate or mimick other cities without thinking?  Someone mentioned streetcars/light rail is now out of the question; but I guess you can always pluck up the trees and median if a year from now you decide to go light rail/streetcars, etc. (but oh what a waste of money!).

Jacksonville needs to find itself and its own identity and quit trying to be like other cities.  Jax is a Southern City; a big southern city with a small town feel; so develop areas and developments relative to Jax's history, historic identity, Southern heritage, etc.

I was in Jax this past weekend and nothing"s really changed all that much since I left in 1995 compared to other major Florida cities; but I did like the bus stops in Springfield which reminded me of the porch posts on most of the old homes in and around Jacksonville; now that's using Jax's own history and identity to put a stamp on Jacksonville itself instead of trying to be like a South Florida City, Central Florida City, or other cities around the nation.

Heights Unknown :D
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 09:49:38 AM »
Another problem may arise if they actually intend to tear down the old courthouse.

The new sidewalks would probably be ruined in the demolition process.

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 10:03:47 AM »
The hell with the median and landscaping.  Run tracks down that middle lane all the way to A. Phillip Randolph and make it part of the first phase of the downtown streetcars.

Or extend the SkyWay down that same stretch.  Either to the side of the street or put the support pylons in that same middle lane. 

Either of those is better, IMO, than trees and a median.  Just about anywhere downtown, but particularly there.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein