Author Topic: Connecting FCCJ's Downtown Campus  (Read 3105 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Connecting FCCJ's Downtown Campus
« on: February 11, 2009, 05:00:00 AM »
Connecting FCCJ's Downtown Campus

FCCJ's Downtown Campus represents the institutions academic presence in the heart of Jacksonville's urban core.  Many of the programs offered at the Downtown Campus are vocation in nature, such as building construction and automotive repair.  Other programs focus on GED, high school completion, adult literacy, and English as a Second Language (ESL).

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/1000

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
Re: Connecting FCCJ's Downtown Campus
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 11:41:03 AM »

I would submit that THIS is the best solution for the Campus to grow. Extend the Skyway to an FCCJ/Bethel Station, then on to Main, where it could interchange with Streetcars and bus services to the Northside of the City.

OCKLAWAHA

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 11:46:11 AM »
Yeah, FCCJ's  downtown expansion could be an excellent opportunity for the core. Hope things are done right.

BTW, i love the new photo archive!! Tremendous stuff, metrojax!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
ProjectMaximus, I love to new photo archive too.  Kudos to Lunican for getting it up and running.

Ock, Skyway aside, how would you propose addressing the street and buildings?  The major disconnect between the campus and its surroundings is that all the activity takes place in an environment sealed off from everything else. 
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 05:14:37 PM »
I think the "MALL" that runs between the buildings EAST AND WEST, could add a NORTH SOUTH component under the Skyway as a sort of "SKYWAY MALL AT FCCJ". As new infill takes place the focus would then be more of a tee shape then a single hidden corridor. The North South mall would open up to expose the excitement at Bethel and across from Rosa Parks.

OCKLAWAHA

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 05:43:29 PM »
That's a cool idea Ock. I wonder if schools like to have more of a general public presence in their food/retail areas.
Lenny Smash

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 06:26:37 PM »
As the campus is expanded, the mall could also be extended to Main Street, since it aligns with Orange Street.  By doing such, you then tie the campus in with Laura, Main and Confederate Park.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali