Author Topic: (Rubber) Stamp of approval for the mayor  (Read 3417 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
(Rubber) Stamp of approval for the mayor
« on: February 02, 2007, 07:01:52 AM »
(Rubber) Stamp of approval for the mayor

In completing his trifecta, the Mayor today succeeded in co-opting all three print news sources.  The triumph came today when the Times-Union editorial board who, up until today had been strangely silent on the issue of Peyton’s appointment of an unqualified candidate for Planning Director, broke their silence.  They came out in favor of Brad Thoburn.  This appears to come as a result of some strategic political planning the mayor initiated a couple of months back when only he knew he would be attempting to push his friend through.  At that time, Peyton sent Thoburn over to meet and greet the editorial board of the Times-Union and to push the absurd (see other articles on this site) idea of the Outer Beltway.  Apparently the move succeeded and is paying dividends today.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/332

Brad Supporter

shut up!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 10:12:05 AM »
you guys need to shut up!!  the mayor knows what he is doing.  you should trust the mayor.

AJCORDON

re: shut up!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 10:22:03 AM »
Brad Supporter: you're right, why should the Mayor and the City Council have to follow the law. After all, they made it and obviously, believe they are above it!

Mad Hatter

The Peyton Political Pathology
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 10:31:12 AM »
I love the comment by this poster.  "the mayor knows what he is doing"

Yes the mayor does know what he's doing when it comes to the pathology of his actions.  He wants what he wants and will stoop to whatever lows he has to to get it.  Screw Jacksonville.  His buddy wants a high paying job.  Never mind the qualifications.

Yes the mayor knows what he is doing when he has his employees write letters of support for Thoburn.  They also know what he is doing and want to keep their jobs, so they write those letters without blinking an eye. The Times Union knows what it is doing as well, no matter how underhanded it is.  They are not a credible source for information about this administration nor can they come up with an unbiased representation of him in print.

The saving grace in all of this is the public also knows what he is doing and we are not going to stand for it.  We deserve better than the manipulations of this mayor and Jacksonville deserves a better mayor.  We likely will not see one for the next four years, but we will see new members on the council.  

In any case, this is not over yet.

just me

Concerned Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 11:08:57 AM »
Blah, blah, blah we hate the mayor.   Blay, blah, blah we are sooooooo smart.  Blah, blah, blah blah, we can do it better.  Blah, blah, blah why won't anyone pay attention to how smart we are?  Blah, blah blah, did I mention we hate the mayor?  Blay, blah, blah, blah.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
blah, blah, blah.... accountability
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 11:27:23 AM »
Blah, blah, blah....county courthouse now estimated at $400 million....  Blah, blah, blah.....a history of poor planning and city management has led to a community that sprawls to oblivion now cramping the amount of industrial space we have remaining in Duval County....  Blah, blah, blah.... thousands of tract homes still being allowed to build right next to Cecil Commerce Center.... Blah, blah, blah, where's the accountability and vision?  Not just for the mayor but the entire local political scene.  Did I mention blah, blah, blah.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Brad Supporter

just trust me
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 04:35:49 PM »
Brad is going to show you all up.  He is going to be the best planning director this sacred city has ever seen.  I know Brad and I know this city.  They are going to be great together.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
I hope so
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 04:58:55 PM »
I hope so, because if he fails at least he gets a hefty salary at taxpayer expense for his time spent.  On the other hand, we (the residents of Jacksonville) will be left to deal with the remaining mess.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

tufsu1

Impressed
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 08:23:55 PM »
Brad Thoburn was asked to speak for 5 minutes (on a moments notice) at a lunch for local planners yesterday.  I spoke with several people after who were very impressed with what he had to say and how it was said.  Being a good public speaker is a must for a Planning Dircetor, and they don't always teach that in planning school!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Impressed
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 09:08:40 PM »
They must have really been impressed if they feel speaking well for 5 minutes is enough to over ride 10 years of experience and background education in the field.  The real question would be if any of those planners would mind taking a back seat and working under him.  Regardless of what side of the fence everyone may fall on, on this issue, how this thing plays out will be definately interesting.

Lunican

• The Jaxson
any specifics?
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 12:20:22 AM »
Do you know in particular what topics he discussed that made a good impression? The reason I ask is because this site has a fairly extensive interview posted and most considered his answers to be less than impressive.

One with 100 year family history in Jacksonville

Must we always repeat the errors of the past
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 02:50:47 PM »
Can you say unlined landfill? Can you say contaminated ash piles? Can you say poorly placed recreaton equipment? Can you say corruption and lack of accountablity? All his has happened in the past when unqualified persons were in charge of making major decisions in this community. Why do you think the founders of consolidation had the foresight to suggest qualifications for appointments to key positions? In the first case, where Brad is called as an expert witness or the head of planning for the city, and the plantiff and the judge ask, What are your qualifications? Do you think there will be laughter in the courtroom when he says "I have a degree in politics" How will he respond to the defense attorney who says, "But I dont understand Mr. Thoburn, you dont have the qualifications for an entry level planning position much less that of the director? This is not about Brad. It is about a practice that was the cause of the effort to consolidate rearing its head again.

Anon

"RUBBER" is right.
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 03:36:55 AM »
First, looks like "Brad Supporter" is THE Brad Thorburn; or whatever his name is.     It is YOU who should "shut up" now and forever.     You're not LEGALLY qualified.     So, the only way you got the job is by "doing a favor or a job" for or ON Peyton, yes?     You CONSORT with Peyton?     God, I knew it.     Apparently, you're better than those other "b**ches" he's been screwing around with, huh?

Second, ANYONE can do a better job than you.     The difference is we're not willing to "bed" Peyton to get it.    

Third, you are expected and required to take "SPEECH CLASS" within your 1st or 2nd YEAR of college.     So, if Brad had only 1-2 years of college, he has taken this class, you moron.     Who knows, maybe Brad-ley was involved in DRAMA CLASS, too.     Most actors KNOW how to speak and what to say to SNOW ANYBODY.

Fourth, more than HALF of the people who work within the city of Jacksonville aren't really and truly "qualified".     That's why the city is up to its A$$ in debt.     That's why Channel 12 News rarely announces the hard-core TRUTH about anything or anybody, and shows favoritism.     That's why City Council members continue to screw around at their tax-paid meetings; going through issues so fast and furious while not granting ALL of the public easy access to these issues, and the stupid President of this Council (a friend of Peyton's) should really stop wasting his time and OUR money and become a COMEDIAN because that is truly all he is good for.     Running our city is a joke for him.     I over-heard him say so.    This city was, has been and will be forever built on B*ll-Sh*t.     Why do you really think so many B*ll-Sh*ters and liars and corporate criminals come HERE to Jacksonville???      Come on, people.    

And then, there is this:

John Peyton is too "celeb-driven".   He's more of a "celebrity type" and he's alway looking for a spotlight instead of really, really performing his duties for the good of all concern.

Why not vote for Peyton?    I'll tell you why you shouldn't vote for him.    He is like the "Marie Antoinette" of his time and of Jacksonville, and Jacksonville needs to get it.

Observe:  

His father and his father's associates at Gate Gasoline were given special priviledge regarding the land over on the westside.    A.K.A. the Cecil Field issue.

His friends and associates get special priviledge while his forces the city and it's people to PAY FOR what should be his personal expenses when it comes to "wining and dining" special interest.  

If you justifiably cross him or his friends and associates, he does whatever he can to get back at you; including using ANY means to get you locked up in jail even though it is usually for a falsehood.   Jailing anyone under falsehoods and with pretense is a serious violation of city, county, State and U.S. laws and codes.  

While partying at Club Paris on opening night, he met and shook hands with Louis J. Pearlman.    Pearlman is currently facing multiple civil and criminal charges; mostly for swindling and stealing monies from investors, for commiting various bank and investment frauds, and for giving monies out in return for favors rendered from various people, celebs, and politicians.....like the time he paid the now Gov. Crist campaign monies while Crist was Attorney General and running for Govenor in exchange for Crist turning his head away while Lou Pearlman continued to commited these and other various crimes.    I happen to know that before this Club Paris party that Peyton and Pearlman have had previous "business" meetings.

People, YOU ARE WHO YOU HANG WITH.   There are so many other various reasons why my family, friends and I WILL NOT be granting Peyton any support at all.    Do some research and wake up.    Peyton is not as innocent and boyish as he appears.   Please readers and citizens of Jacksonville, don't let you eyes deceive you.

Anonymous

I know what I want to do with my life, now:
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 03:48:45 AM »
My ambition:

I'M MOVING OUT OF JACKSONVILLE, and am leaving the rest of you idiots behind to pay the debt and clean up the mess.     The first smart decision I've made since I've been here.