Author Topic: Kings Avenue Station to break ground soon  (Read 2129 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Kings Avenue Station to break ground soon
« on: March 20, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
Kings Avenue Station to break ground soon

The Southbank's next major urban infill project on the horizon is scheduled to break ground before this Summer.  The Chase Properties, Inc development is expected to be under construction for 18 months before opening its doors in late 2008/early 2009.

Full Article: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/374
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 11:58:45 AM by thelakelander »

Brian Braswell

Cable cars? Cable Cars?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 08:08:33 AM »
Why Why Why NOT extend the Skyway instead?  Bring it down to street level to cut cost & run it to the sports complex!  I parked at the King St. garage for the FL GA game last year & rode it as far as the Omni.   Then I took a cab to Alltel.  Repeated the process after the game & still saved $$ & saved valuable time/traffic.   I'd be willing to wager that revenue from 1 football/baseball season in addition to concert events would surpass all other ridership combined..........Ho much more cost effective would a cable car system be?  Seems almost gimmicky.

Lunican

• The Jaxson
Cable cars
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 09:00:32 AM »
The cable cars are a gimmick, and that is why they would be privately funded. Unfortunately, JTA has no plans to extend the Skyway, and a private developer wouldn't be able to pay for it.

Also, extending the Skyway along the ground is not possible, but building a much lighter structure definitely is.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 09:17:44 AM »
Imo, it probably is gimmicky.  I'd also bet that a skyway extension to the Stadium district, via Bay Street, with support infrastructure that isn't over built such as ours was, would cost less/mile than our planned BRT system, as well as spur additional infill development along it's path.

Nevertheless, if the developer is willing to privately finance the cable car idea, so be it.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

RG

Much Better
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 01:55:17 PM »
I really like the new rendering.  The old one looked cheap and cartoonish.  The new look is more restrained and dignified.  I am impressed.  I cant wait to see this start construction.

dj

nice renderings
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 03:14:07 PM »
This will turn out to be a nice project and will surely add some riders the Skyway.

Jeremiah

"No plans for expansion"...
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 03:09:24 PM »
I've argued this point before and I'll argue it again.  Jacksonville is the perfect city for a mass transit/skyway loop.  With developments still going up all over the perimeter of Jacksonville (much like Northern Virginia and the Metro DC area), the traffic situation is only going to get worse.  But it also provides an awesome opportunity for the city to design the transit system with those developments in mind, creating a beltway through the city.  The pending commuter rail is an excellent starting point for that.  Awareness does need to be raised with city officials however before any real change can be made.  I'll get off my soap box now.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Kings Avenue Station to break ground soon
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 11:57:33 AM »
Here's a link to the floor plans for phase 1.  It includes space for two restaurants/dining areas on the ground floor.
http://internetjobsite.net/drawings/HiltonGardenInnA01toA111frmJaxSouth.pdf
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali