Author Topic: Streetcars Coming to Downtown Jacksonville?  (Read 17517 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Streetcars Coming to Downtown Jacksonville?
« on: January 09, 2009, 05:00:00 AM »
Streetcars Coming to Downtown Jacksonville?

An in depth look at the results of JTA's Streetcar Pre-Feasibility Study. This study attempts to define a basic implementation strategy as well as identify and assess the districts a streetcar could potentially serve.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/979

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: Streetcars Coming to Downtown Jacksonville?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 07:13:15 AM »
Awesome!  Is there a pdf downloadable version?  Even the enlarged version is difficult to read...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

copperfiend

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 07:59:44 AM »
Wow, this look great.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 08:07:56 AM »
Unfortunately, this thing will also be indefinately delayed if Peyton's road economic stimulus plan takes away transit money.  While I'm not sold on the phase 1 routes shown, $65 million for a +4 mile streetcar line will benefit the community more than spreading out $100 million on minor isolated road improvements.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 08:52:07 AM »
I think this is great as well and hopefully the buslines and other public modes of transport will efficiently hook up to the street car lines in case people would like to "street car it" downtown and other areas they would serve rather than "bus it."  I'm not that enthused either with the layouts; I think the layouts should also include the port, all of Eastside, a little more to the north of Springfield, and a little more west of Riverside and Brooklyn possibly over to a mile or two east of Cassat.  Anyhoo, hope it works and most of all, hope that it is thoroughly planned with a firm feasibility study done before the lay the tracks and put on the streetcars.

Heights Unknown
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialservices.com and thank you!!!

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 09:22:41 AM »
Neither of the 'phase 1' options include the stadium/sports complex as a destination.  To my uneducated eyes, this seems short-sighted.  While I love the potential coverage of the streetcars' route as envisioned, I would think the Sports Complex would be more of a priority for the initial phase.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

SunKing

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 09:40:23 AM »
What are the possibilities, if any, that such a project could be privately funded?

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 09:41:19 AM »
I know if I had the assets, I'd have already gotten it started. ;)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

Jason

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 09:49:10 AM »
Looks like a good study.  I'm with Lake on the alignment though.

IMO, all these studies should still take a back seat to commuter rail.  The key is and will always be feeding the downtown system with riders, not distributing the ones that are already there.

Jason

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 09:55:05 AM »
This is the best alignment listed.  The proposed extension of the skyway through Brooklyn should also be stretched down Riverside and around the corner down Roselle St. and connect to the streetcar line at Park.

Why is the BRT crap still in there?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 09:57:10 AM by Jason »

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 10:34:34 AM »
Personally, I don't like any of them, but I like the fact that we are discussing this.

Lucasjj

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 10:48:26 AM »
Without a reliable feeder system into that area, such as commuter rail, this is going to be a lot like the Skyway. A system connecting a few locations that will have limited riders becuase they will have to drive down there to get on it anyway.

Also I feel that this would be ineffiicient and expanding the Skyway would be better suited for the area it is covering. For instance if you were wanting to go to Five Points from San Marco. You would have to take the Skyway over the river and get off just to go to a street car station and take that down to Five Points. For the hassle it would be easier, and quicker to drive. Also I believe it would be more attractive to people if they only had to use one form of transit to get where they are going.

If however the entire route including all the areas that are suggested in the study is implemented, then the Skyway should be removed to avoid duplicating efforts. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 11:00:44 AM »
Why is the BRT crap still in there?

This is because a neutered version of BRT is still apart of JTA's long range rapid transit plan.  However, as long as its an express bus service, using existing streets and complementing rail corridors, its alright.

Jason

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 11:56:15 AM »
Personally, I don't like any of them, but I like the fact that we are discussing this.

What alignment would you prefer?