Author Topic: Downtown Holiday Window Displays 2008  (Read 4784 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Downtown Holiday Window Displays 2008
« on: December 19, 2008, 05:00:00 AM »
Downtown Holiday Window Displays 2008

The City of Jacksonville has revived a wonderful tradition in downtown Jacksonville with holiday window displays for the 2008 season. Downtown storefront windows come alive with festively-decorated holiday scenes created by local artists, designers and businesses.Displays can been seen on Laura, Adams, Hogan and Bay streets and will be on display from November 28 - January 2.  Windows will be lit until 10 p.m. on weekdays and midnight on weekends.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/967

rbrust

Re: Downtown Holiday Window Displays 2008
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 09:48:35 AM »
Ennis: 

You, I'd LOVE to meet.  I've come to enjoy your posts about growth management but this photo essay is wonderful. 

I do media relations for the city of Jacksonville and getting local media to cover this story was like pulling teeth.  Our Special Events Department -- in particular Christina Langston -- did an amazing job in just a few weeks time.  I anticipate 2009 will be even better with more artists and more windows. 

Thank you for doing this event justice.

Renee

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 09:56:35 AM »
We are glad you found us Renee... Welcome!  The articles and pictures Ennis posts ARE wonderful.  We are lucky to have him...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Jason

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 10:03:16 AM »
Welcome Renee!

Great tour Ennis!

I would love to see the lighting on the trees year round.  It makes the area look a lot more festive.

GideonGlib

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 10:09:41 AM »
It's pretty, but it would be nice if they would have used LED lights to be more conscience of the carbon footprint of all those extra lights.

Maybe to compensate Jacksonville can participate in Earth Hour in 2009, like most of the bigger, more progressive cities will be doing.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 10:11:27 AM »
The tree at the Landing was converted to LEDs this year...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

stug

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 11:05:41 AM »
This is going to sound horrible and totally un-environmentally conscious of me, but I really hate the look of the LED christmas lights. They're so cold looking. I wish they could create something efficient that could match the golden glow of regular old twinkle lights.

Lucasjj

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 11:21:57 AM »
I agree. We bought a strand this year to light up a wreath, and we took it back. They just appear dull to me.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 08:19:50 AM »
I will definitely go see the windows and I hope this tradition grows in our downtown.
Lenny Smash

deathstar

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 11:21:03 PM »
Here's a picture I took of Jack (Nightmare Before Christmas) in 5 Points back in 2006, it's one my favorite displays ever :)

sandyshoes

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 01:34:15 PM »
Wow...and no atheists were offended by the CHRISTmas decorations?  I'm surprised they didn't put up some kind of squawk.  As there were no menorahs, et al, and no kwanzaa decorations, this can't be called "Holiday" decorations - obviously, it's Christmas decorations.  And kudos for doing it!!!

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 04:00:19 PM »
The people being upset about Christmas greetings and decorations are an urban myth. My church just like any others that fret over this are just trying to rally people and increase attendance. It is a shame they feel they need to resort to the gimmick.
Lenny Smash

David

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 04:00:54 PM »
I think they lynch atheist in Jacksonville.

Besides, you can enjoy Christmas decorations without believing Jesus is magic. They're shiny!

David

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 04:04:26 PM »
Yea i've always wondered about that too. I've heard rumors of people protesting christmas celebrations, but i've never met anyone in person.

It's the overly p.c. large corporations with uber-sensitive company policies that make people call it a "holiday" celebration, but for the general public, I've never seen anyone ever making a big deal out of it, especially here.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 05:33:22 PM by David »