Author Topic: Urban Parks: Willowbranch Park  (Read 3040 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Urban Parks: Willowbranch Park
« on: December 11, 2008, 05:00:00 AM »
Urban Parks: Willowbranch Park

Located at 2870 Sydney Street, Willowbranch Park provides Riverside residents with 17 acres of passive and recreational public space.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/956

billy

Re: Urban Parks: Willowbranch Park
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 06:33:09 AM »
Cool looking library.

jtwestside

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 08:35:55 AM »
This is where I proposed to my fiancée.    :)

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 09:00:44 AM »
Great tour!

My first apartment was at the corner of Cherry & Downing.  I spent quite a bit of time at that park.  Doesn't look a whole lot different, other that the upgrades to the playground.  I'd really love to see the creek cleaned out and upgraded a bit.  Other than that, the park is one of the best in town.

Wrangler of Space

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 10:33:13 AM »
Wonderful asset of the neighborhood.

Lived at Herschel and Aberdeen for a year.  Spent a good amount of time in the park.

RiversideGator

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 12:04:28 AM »
Nice pictures.  Thanks for posting.

BTW, is anyone aware of the School Board proposal to build a new public swimming pool for Lee High School in the park where the basketball courts are now?  This would be a disaster IMO.

deathstar

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 01:22:19 AM »
Another area I spent a lot of my childhood at. Me and my Mom lived in that pink apartment building, upstairs, back in the 80's before she met my step-dad. I remember when the tree by the telephone pole was maybe 6 feet tall, and playing on it, and my Mom and Grandmother yelling at me because it was so close to the road! I also remember one day after they painted the hallway, I came by with a marker and had a field day with it, but not for long :P

Willow Branch Public Library is also a place I remember going to as a kid while attending West Riverside, and to the underground area for story time. Afterwords, we'd go play in the WB Park for a little while. Heh, that creek was our restroom, by the way, so I wouldn't advise doing any exploring down there lol.

SunKing

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 11:20:56 AM »
Also the first place the Allman Brothers played together in a free concert.  They were down here to jam with Butch Trucks I believe and since they didnt have a name they were just introduced as the Brothers Allman.  That's the story anyway.

wordofmouse

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 01:16:22 PM »
this is unacceptable as a park. Specifically the over grown ditch that runs a near lifeless stream into the St. Johns. I took my own photos and on a grass roots level begin the process of activism and put an end to accepting that this is what was the original design for the park.