Author Topic: Elements of Urbanism: Stamford & White Plains  (Read 4033 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Elements of Urbanism: Stamford & White Plains
« on: December 09, 2008, 05:00:00 AM »
Elements of Urbanism: Stamford & White Plains

Metro Jacksonville takes a look at White Plains, New York and Stamford, Connecticut, two cities successfully living in the shadow of New York.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/949

zoo

Re: Elements of Urbanism: Stamford & White Plains
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 07:25:14 AM »
I also noticed that Stamford has a fair amount of public art well-integrated in its public spaces - something Jacksonville is working on (but struggling with in terms of integration, imho).

ruck

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 10:53:07 AM »

This could be that building on e bay street with the jaguar on it.

I see riverside ave, where that everbank tower is.

I can see this being the old convention center, across from the new transportation center. If they can ever agree on building a much needed bigger convention center.

;D

jeh1980

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 09:42:15 PM »
It seems to me that ALMOST ever city we see on this here site has too many surface parking lots!   ;) :D

RiversideGator

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 12:03:53 AM »
Those dang cars!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 01:44:36 AM »
It seems to me that ALMOST ever city we see on this here site has too many surface parking lots!   ;) :D

Yes.  Try getting out of the car and walk past a few blocks of surface parking and you'll realize why you may be the only one on the sidewalk.  Surface parking is the kryptonite of walkability.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 09:48:36 AM »
One Jacksonville.com contributor disagrees:

Lack of parking downtown

What has become of the available parking downtown for special events such as the Boat Parade and Fireworks? Used to be, you could park almost anywhere, lots were open and free, and there was plenty of room (I'm refering to 5 years ago - not 50). When trying to find a parking space for the boat parade, lots were charging $10, City lots next to Skyway stops were closed and locked, and you were fearful of parking in a private area for fear of being towed. Also, the private lots that used to let people park (CSX, etc.) are now chained closed. Lets stop the runaway building downtown and save some room for the people. If you want people downtown, give them a place to park.

http://www.jacksonville.com/node/44710

He started with a good point, but then instead of concluding that the current parking should be made available, he concluded that there are too many buildings.

RiversideGator

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 10:49:36 AM »
Perhaps parking spots on the street could be increased in number and made free for 2 hours.  End the parking meter monopoly downtown and watch it bloom.