Author Topic: Elements of Urbanism: Newark, NJ  (Read 3402 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Elements of Urbanism: Newark, NJ
« on: November 21, 2008, 05:00:00 AM »
Elements of Urbanism: Newark, NJ

A brief tour around the downtown of New Jersey's largest city: Newark

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/874

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
Re: Elements of Urbanism: Newark, NJ
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 05:20:31 AM »
Interesting article, I see East Orange on the map. I stayed there this past Sept and caught the NJ transit into NY. Its very easy to naviagte on there transit system.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 07:20:09 AM »
Interesting.  My main reason for being in Downtown Newark was because I stopped to visit college classmates who live in East Orange and commute by train to Manhattan for work.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

copperfiend

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 09:29:53 AM »
The last picture looks like some of the buildings that were in downtown Jacksonville but have since been torn down.

MattnJax

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 10:48:25 AM »
I didn't realize Prudential was based in Newark. Pretty neat. Other than that, what a crap-hole! Sorry, had to get in a dis on New Jersey.

stjr

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 12:44:10 PM »
A couple of years ago we wanted to do a family visit to NYC between Christamas and New Years.  It turned out to be a record setting week for tourists in NY and no rooms were available even at then average sky-high rate of $400/night.

We found that staying at the then newly renovated Hilton at Newark Penn Station for $99/night was the deal of the year.  The hotel is connected by overhead enclosed crosswalks to Penn Station and several hi-rise office buildings.  Without ever stepping outside, we had all weather access to transportation, shopping, banking, post office, restaurants, etc.  Trains to NYC's centrally located Penn Station ran about every 20 minutes for over 18 hours a day.  The trip was cheap and only 10 minutes, less than many Manhattan subway or cab rides.  You couldn't beat the convenience on either end of the trip.  For the security conscious, police where everywhere at the stations even at 1 AM.

I highly recommend this route to anyone visiting NYC who wants the equivalent of great access without the price.  As mentioned, the station also connects to Newark Airport.  We arrived by car and the hotel had adequate parking.
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!

I-10east

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 02:21:37 PM »
I went to Newark to go to the airport back in '86 (from NYC, and to Jax) then I got the hell outta Newark via plane on my way to Jax; Newark is not exactly a place to raise a family; I'll just leave it at that.

Why does it matter if a city's F-500 is DT or not? F-500 is a F-500 suburban, or DT, period. Oh yeah, Cassat, and Edgewood where W/D is based is "really" out there in the sticks. ::)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 11:12:11 AM by I-10east »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 02:57:48 PM »
A company with major offices in downtown could be a major factor in its development.  However, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter.  Like the rest of the stats listed, its just a general comparison between two places. 
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

stephElf

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 03:08:48 PM »
I didn't realize Prudential was based in Newark. Pretty neat. Other than that, what a crap-hole! Sorry, had to get in a dis on New Jersey.

Me and you are gonna brawl.  ;)

but yea Newark is a dump.

Shwaz

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 03:13:21 PM »
Other than that, what a crap-hole!

I have stayed in Newark twice in the last 2 years and really hate it. Last time I stayed in Elizabeth right next to the airport because of a canceled flight. It was a trying 12 hours to say the least.

There was billboard next to the hotel the read:

HELP WANTED

Stop the killings
And though I long to embrace, I will not replace my priorities: humour, opinion, a sense of compassion, creativity and a distaste for fashion.

MattnJax

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 03:27:48 PM »

Me and you are gonna brawl.  ;)

but yea Newark is a dump.

Haha sorry Steph. Didn't mean to diss your beloved state. You can beat me up tonight at the bar.