Author Topic: Amtrak Capitol Corridor Service  (Read 5380 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Amtrak Capitol Corridor Service
« on: November 20, 2008, 05:00:00 AM »
Amtrak Capitol Corridor Service

The Capitol Corridor is a 172-mile passenger train route operated by Amtrak in California. By comparison, Jacksonville is 140 miles from Orlando, 197 miles from Tampa and 344 miles from Miami.  Imagine if there were as many as 32 daily passenger trains running between Jacksonville and Florida's other cities.  The Capitol Corridor gives us a glimpse of what a Florida corridor system could become.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/942

MattnJax

Re: Amtrak Capitol Corridor Service
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 08:53:26 AM »
Do you guys agree that Amtrak should move their Jacksonville station to a more desirable location. Say downtown? Right now it's off of New Kings Rd. in a really bad part of town, and very much off the beaten path.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 09:21:43 AM »
Yes, that's a no brainer.  Amtrak should come home to the downtown terminal and the convention center needs to go.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Joe

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 09:25:19 AM »
I'm pretty sure that the proposed LaVilla transit hub includes a small amtrak station just south of the convention center. Is that part of the plan less concrete than the rest of the transit hub components?

It's kind of a stupid configuration, as riders would have to walk through the front of the convention center to transfer between the trains and skyway/buses/taxi/parking etc. But it's still about 1000x better than the current station location.

MattnJax

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 09:28:31 AM »
Yes, that's a no brainer.  Amtrak should come home to the downtown terminal and the convention center needs to go.

Yeah that would be pretty cool if they could revitilize the Prime Osborn into an Amtrak terminal and build a new modern convention center along the riverfront. I think that the site of the old Southside JEA plant would be perfect for a new convention center. Similar to the riverfront convention center in Savannah.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 09:47:06 AM »
Yes, Amtrak is a part of the proposed transportation center, although its much smaller than what would be needed for a corridor service hub.  If we can get the convention center out of there, it offers us the ability to move the other transit hub components closer and create a larger rail component.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »
it's hard for me to understand why a guy with Peyton's business acumen wouldn't jump at the chance to build a large, flagship convention center along the waterfront to serve as an architectural staple of our city and to attract large conferences/conventions to the area.

tufsu1

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 09:32:30 PM »
perhaps because his business acumen tells him that there is no money!

cracklow

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 11:57:28 PM »
Didn't he already try that with the courthouse?

MattnJax

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 06:47:46 AM »

Peyton just isn't very progressive, and he's very inept at getting anything done. Basically, he's your typical Republican.

JaxByDefault

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 09:52:33 AM »

Peyton just isn't very progressive, and he's very inept at getting anything done. Basically, he's your typical Republican.

I once lived in a mid-size city with a Republican, business-oriented, gas company owning Mayor, whose father had also been Mayor.

During his tenure as mayor, the town undertook an ambitious downtown redevelopment plan that refurbished whole blocks of historic buildings, initiated in-fill construction, brought business downtown, created a pedestrian square with shops and restaurants lining the space, began to address the city's homeless problem, developed a plan to renovate and aging and ill-working downtown park, beefed-up develpment grants for the historic neighborhoods bordering downtown, and started talking to Amtrack and Nashville about rail.

That den of progressive urban planning: Knoxville, TN. If it can be done there, it can be done anywhere.

Mayor Peyton's background and political party aren't the problem--his lack of urban planning savvy, penchant for no-bid contracts, and his lack of vision are. Refusing --or not using--available money and services from Amtrack is clear evidence of a fundamental problem with this city's government.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 09:56:09 AM by JaxByDefault »

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 10:10:33 AM »
Problem #2? He refuses to "gain" vision by speaking to citizens that would love to help show him the way. He speaks down to the peasantry with remarks such as "we need to get you with JTA..." "Hollingsworth is the man, he really gets things done..." In short, he might as well wear a button that says don't call me - I'll call you. (add infinate dial-tone) and one gets the picture. Living in Jacksonville from the earliest 1950's on and off until today, I don't think we have ever had a leader like Peyton. Even though Godbold hated my plans and wanted only his Skyway, he still invited EVERYONE to his dinners, pertys, spoke to us, kissed or hugged the wives and at least sounded like he cared.

So what to do? I'd love to be Peytons friend, someone he could ask about transportation, someone that would not only share the light but also take some of the darts for the administration. But what to do if he doesn't even want to speak to you?

Mr. Mayor? I'm as close as your phone, you have my card - unless it was lost, in which case Glorious Johnson has it.

OCKLAWAHA

MattnJax

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 10:21:59 AM »

I once lived in a mid-size city with a Republican, business-oriented, gas company owning Mayor, whose father had also been Mayor.

During his tenure as mayor, the town undertook an ambitious downtown redevelopment plan that refurbished whole blocks of historic buildings, initiated in-fill construction, brought business downtown, created a pedestrian square with shops and restaurants lining the space, began to address the city's homeless problem, developed a plan to renovate and aging and ill-working downtown park, beefed-up develpment grants for the historic neighborhoods bordering downtown, and started talking to Amtrack and Nashville about rail.

That den of progressive urban planning: Knoxville, TN. If it can be done there, it can be done anywhere.

Mayor Peyton's background and political party aren't the problem--his lack of urban planning savvy, penchant for no-bid contracts, and his lack of vision are. Refusing --or not using--available money and services from Amtrack is clear evidence of a fundamental problem with this city's government.

I think his political party and background have everything to do with how he governs. While I can't speak with much knowledge about Knoxville's Mayor, who has an eeriely similar background to our mayor, I will say that Knoxville is probably the most progressive city (as most major college towns are) in the conservative state of TN, which might have something to do with the progression happening there. He also could be of the more centrist, progressive type Republican like our last mayor, mayor Delaney, who led the very progressive fight for the Better Jacksonville Plan, and which Peyton clearly isn't a past of. Peyton just doesn't seem to be a take-charge type of Mayor.

copperfiend

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 10:25:37 AM »

Peyton just isn't cut out to be mayor. Unfortunately, there is such a lack if interest by many Duval citizens that he got re-elected with relative ease. I don't see things getting any better under Pretty Boy Davis when he takes the throne.

MattnJax

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 11:06:50 AM »

If he wanted to, and had the drive, he could build a new courthouse and a new convention center with the $400 million dollars that the current courthouse is suppose to cost.