Author Topic: Jax 3rd Worst To Visit for Holidays  (Read 2869 times)

jaxlongtimer

Jax 3rd Worst To Visit for Holidays
« on: November 20, 2023, 01:47:59 PM »
What the Chamber of Commerce and Visit Jacksonville won't tell you  8).  Note, the biggest issues are in the domain of our authorities: DIA, JAA and JTA.

Jacksonville, Florida, ranks third in U.S. as worst cities for holiday travel

Jacksonville's scores:

Driving experience: 90.63
City experience: 66.67
Air travel experience: 46.96
Overall score: 76.60 out of 100

According to Forbes, Jacksonville had the worst walk score (25.6) and the third worst transit score (20.8 ).

Jacksonville stands out as the city with the:

Seventh highest number of people involved in fatal crashes between November and January (11 per 100,000 city residents).
Seventh highest number of weather-related car accidents in November, December and January (192).
Eighth fewest restaurants with four or more stars on Tripadvisor (744).

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news/2023/11/20/worst-cities-holiday-travel-florida-jacksonville-miami-tampa-forbes-advisor/71651691007/

« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 02:30:37 PM by jaxlongtimer »

Charles Hunter

Re: Jax 3rd Worst To Visit for Holidays
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 03:34:35 PM »
Here are the "Air Travel Experience" factors  used for the ratings:
Air travel experience, 25 points

Percentage of flights delayed, canceled or diverted.
    Number of property loss and damage claims per 100,000 domestic passengers.
    Percentage of property loss and damage claims reimbursed in full.

It seems the first one is more under the control of the airlines or the weather, not the airport (JAA).

Also, from an "Airport Nerd" article about baggage handlers (where, I assume item 2 comes from).
Most baggage handlers either work directly for an airline or for an aviation services company like QuickFlight or Baggage Airline Guest Services.
Again, it doesn't seem to be an "airport" responsibility.

Similarly, it seems the employer of the baggage handler would be responsible for paying claims.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 05:02:52 PM »
Points noted. I  didn't see this in the article I excerpted.  Agreed, some aspects may be beyond the JAA, but not necessarily all.

I would consider that property loss, damage claims and even flight turnaround can be dependent on the airport's equipment (see opening of Denver's airport a few years back - and, I have been at airports when not all luggage belts where operational or there were not enough of them), layout (including how fast one can cover the distance from planes to the terminal) and maybe runway management/availability.

There was also, in another article, consideration given to how long it took to get through security but it didn't show what that was for JIA, that I could see.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2023, 07:31:27 PM »
According to Forbes, Jacksonville had the worst walk score (25.6) and the third worst transit score (20.8 ).

I'd take these types of general statistics with a grain of salt. As long as Jax is a consolidated 800-square-mile city being compared to cities that have not annexed their suburbs, it will always have a horrible walk score and transit score. I'd be more interested to know how the original 30 square mile city would rank these days.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

acme54321

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2023, 09:19:22 PM »
They can say whatever they want, our airport is a breeze compared to most others.

iMarvin

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2023, 05:08:29 PM »

I'd take these types of general statistics with a grain of salt. As long as Jax is a consolidated 800-square-mile city being compared to cities that have not annexed their suburbs, it will always have a horrible walk score and transit score. I'd be more interested to know how the original 30 square mile city would rank these days.

I can't imagine it being over 45-50. Fort Lauderdale gets a 56 and has 9 neighborhoods that have a higher score than Jacksonville's most walkable neighborhood (Downtown at 71). LaVilla somehow gets a 68 (5th highest in the city), which honestly makes me question their entire methodology.

They can say whatever they want, our airport is a breeze compared to most others.

It has its pros and cons. Personally, I'd take the bigger airport with more destinations over JAX any day. I think Miami's airport in particular isn't too bad.

tufsu1

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2023, 03:24:21 PM »
Here's another ranking the Chamber won't be mentioning - Jax is 3rd worst in Florida for declining cities

https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/st-pete-among-the-3-fastest-declining-florida-cities-analysis-shows/?nxsparam=1

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2023, 06:49:47 PM »
I was born at Miami Beach.
Growing up , dinner time conversations noted Jacksonville is Cruddy.
Based on family business trips to Jacksonville.
Parents are natives of Charlevoix Michigan. Events had them head to South Florida.
Right Past Florida First Coast…. Where Miami Began…

That time period would coincide with Jacksonville Consolidation.
Moving here was a classic example of “ Under Buying”.
Ha!… Life Events…
I ended up Marrying a Daughter of Jacksonville General Counsel upon Consolidation.
Yea Jacksonville!!!
My sister moved here….. her son graduated from Douglas Anderson.
They moved out and are not returning.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 09:04:56 PM by Florida Power And Light »

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2023, 11:31:02 PM »
I always wonder who comes up with these things. Is there an AI somewhere out there programmed to just turn random numbers into badly arranged lists?
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2023, 09:05:03 AM »
Lol, no offense to Port St. Lucie but that's a sprawling exburb with no core. I'd be more than happy to give many of these decling cities, including the long built out Hialeah, a go before locating to a rapidly growing exburb.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jax_Developer

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2023, 10:56:26 AM »
I always wonder who comes up with these things. Is there an AI somewhere out there programmed to just turn random numbers into badly arranged lists?

In my econometrics class, we were taught how to manipulate data to spit out virtually any answer you want. I could create a dataset that says Jacksonville is the 'best' city in the world. Values/inputs that make any statistical set "valid" are rarely provided, so the casual audience just accepts the results. Wouldn't be surprising if they have someone (or a software) putting together favorable results for whatever entity funded the study.

To me, this study is completely BS lol. We have beaches... that pretty much removes Jacksonville from any worse holiday list. The restaurant claim is valid, we 100% lack high life dining. The driving thing however... there have been several crash studies done for I-95 (Jax to Daytona) and I-4 (Daytona to Orlando). Those two areas are #1 & #2 in the country for crashes. A huge reason why? Tourists. HMMM.

Jax_Developer

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2023, 11:06:14 AM »
To determine which cities are worst for holiday travel, Forbes Advisor analyzed data for the 50 most populated cities (42 of which had available data) across three key categories: driving experience, city experience and air travel experience.

We evaluated these 14 relevant metrics:

Driving Experience - Total points: 40

Number of people involved in fatal crashes between November and January per 100,000 city residents: 11% of score. Data comes from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Fatality and Injury Reporting System Tool (FIRST). For this metric, we took a five-year average, using data from 2016 to 2020. City population data comes from the U.S. Census Bureau, 2022.
Number of fatal weather-related car accidents between November and January: 11% of score. Data comes from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Fatality and Injury Reporting System Tool (FIRST). For this metric, we used the total number of fatal weather-related car accidents in November, December and January between 2017 and 2021.
Average gas prices: 6% of score. This metric reflects the average price of regular gasoline. Data comes from AAA, 2023.
Number of hours lost in traffic congestion per year: 6% of score. Data comes from the INRIX 2022 Global Traffic Scorecard.
Average speed in rush hour traffic: 6% of score. Data comes from the INRIX 2022 Global Traffic Scorecard.
City Experience - Total points: 35

Crime rate: 8% of score. This metric reflects the number of violent and property crimes per 1,000 residents. Data comes from Neighborhood Scout, 2021.
Average hotel price for a four-night stay during the holiday season: 7% of score. Data comes from Expedia, 2023. For this metric, we found the median hotel price in each city for a four-night stay during the following time periods: November 21-25, December 22-26 and January 1-5. We then took the average across all time periods for each city.
Number of tourist attractions with three or more stars on Tripadvisor: 5% of score. Data comes from Tripadvisor, 2023.
Number of restaurants with four or more stars on Tripadvisor: 5% of score. Data comes from Tripadvisor, 2023.
Walk Score: 5% of score. Data comes from WalkScore.com and reflects pedestrian friendliness.
Transit Score: 5% of score. Data comes from WalkScore.com and reflects access to public transit.
Air Travel Experience - Total points: 25

Percentage of flights delayed, canceled or diverted: 9% of score. This metric reflects the total percentage of flights delayed, canceled or diverted in November, December and January between 2018 and 2022. Data comes from the Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS) TranStats database.
Number of property loss and damage claims per 100,000 domestic passengers: 9% of score. This metric reflects the total number of property loss and damage claims in November, December and January between 2013 and 2022.
Percentage of property loss and damage claims reimbursed in full: 7% of score. This metric reflects the percentage of property loss and damage claims submitted in November, December and January between 2013 and 2022 that were fully reimbursed.
Property loss and damage claims data comes from the Transportation Security Administration (TSA). All data reflects claims submitted for property loss or property damage that occurred during the TSA screening process at each airport.

For cities with two major airports, we used the total number of air travel disruptions at both airports. The number of domestic passengers comes from the BTS.

Crashes per capita - 22% of the 100 point score
Average Gas Prices - 6% of the 100 point score
Average Speed in Rush Hour - 6% of the 100 point score (LOL, what?)
Rate & Percentage of Property Claims & Loss - 16% of the 100 point score

Boom, 50% of your data set right there with those 4 items. Not sure I have ever cared/seen/looked up anything about a single one of these
items. Yet Forbes believes these items to be very significant! No R^2 provided, which means all of these variables mean absolutely nothing.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2024, 06:15:12 AM »
Apparently we have advanced to NUMBER ONE!!!

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/travel-insurance/best-travel-insurance/#worst-cities-for-summer-travel

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Jacksonville was ranked the worst city in America for summer travel by Forbes Advisor, with restaurant ratings, flight delays, crime rate and other factors cited in the article. 

In a promotional piece on travel insurance, Forbes Advisor compared the "43 most populated cities with available data across 16 metrics to uncover the worst places to visit during the summer." 

Forbes' research uncovered that Jacksonville was the worst vacation spot for summer travel. Minneapolis was ranked the best. 

Jacksonville scored as high as you can in Forbes' metric, in a bad way, tallying 100 out of 100 points.

Here are the categories Forbes said Jacksonville did poorly on:

Scores lowest for walkability and third lowest for access to public transportation.Jacksonville International Airport has the second highest percentage of disrupted summer flights (28.9% on average).Sixth fewest parking lots and garages (1.49 per 100,000 residents).Eighth highest crime rate (63.99 crimes per 1,000 residents).Ranks eighth for fewest restaurants with four or more stars on Tripadvisor (728).

Tampa was the one other Florida city ranked in the top 10 worst summer travel cities, appearing at number eight. 

In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2024, 08:39:05 AM »
This one says it all about those types of rankings and perhaps our general population as well:

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2024/06/12/residents-tourists-split-after-new-study-ranks-jacksonville-the-worst-city-for-summer-travel/

There were a handful of tourists on Jacksonville Beach who were impressed by the First Coast.

“We wanted to go to Hatteras, but it was too far away. It was like a three-day drive so we thought why not hit the Atlantic in Florida,” Caleb Colson said.

Colson and his family drove 16 hours from Fort Worth, Texas to visit Jacksonville for the first time.

“There’s tons to do here,” Colson said. “There’s a lot of restaurants, a lot of activity. So far, we’ve had a great selection of food. We love the seafood, fresh seafood. So yeah, I heard it wasn’t that great of a place to visit by a local, but I think it’s pretty cool.”

Locals like Walker agree with the ranking. He and his girls take to the beaches often to surf and paddleboard.

But other than that, he said there’s not much else to do.

“We want more things to do except bars. There’s a new bar built every month. Some things for families and stuff and make it safe where you can bring your family to the beach. You don’t have to worry about your stuff getting stolen or getting shot,” Walker said.

The local views everything through a negative light and the person visiting in town is living it up on amenities, cuisine, cultural and environmental experiences they don't have everyday access too.

From my experiences, the one place out-of-town people get puzzled by is downtown. They simply don't understand why there's not more pedestrian scale vibrancy, considering our natural and phyiscal landscape.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2024, 12:05:17 PM »
You know the Beaches are in the big time when they have mini-golf, a water park, laser tag, etc. that is now at Adventure Landing but maybe crosses the ditch when they close at their current location.  Also, a multi-plex movie theater.  Good that the bowling alley just reopened. 

These are things our family visits when in Orlando.  Kind of surprised someone hasn't already worked to fill that void.