Author Topic: Gov. DeSantis announces plans to expedite 20 major road projects across Florida  (Read 861 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
POLK COUNTY, Fla. – Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis announced Monday morning his administration is moving forward with a proposal to expedite 20 major interstate and roadway projects across the state of Florida in the next four years.

DeSantis said the “Moving Florida Forward” initiative will help some projects finish up to 10 years ahead of schedule and will be paid for through Florida’s budget surplus.

“Just in this year, we’re going to put in $4 billion from our budget surplus to be in these key projects. We’re also going to dedicate $134 million each year to the State Transportation Work Program to further support and then because we have such a high credit rating, they’re going to be able to leverage that money that we put in for even more so the total is going to be about $7 billion over four years, which is really, really significant,” DeSantis said during a news conference in Polk County.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2023/01/30/watch-live-gov-desantis-holds-news-conference-in-polk-county/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

So none in NE Florida.
Did Curry forget to make his payment to the Godfather?

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
Wow, we kinda get screwed here. I suppose that might be because basically all the planned I-95 widening is already programmed to happen within the decade anyway, and the I-10 widening is happening now, and the I-295 widening is also programmed, and the First Coast Expressway's completion is also programmed. They don't have too many more roads to play with up here after that (for now).

Here's the included project map:

If I'm reading this correctly, that looks like $2.2 billion for additional widening of I-4? Seriously? Plus another $1.3 billion for whatever that connector road in #13 is?

Some friends out of state asked me to make a wild guess on what else you could do with seven billion dollars:

If you just limited it to rail, that gets you… probably at least one serious expansion of Metrorail ($2b), Fort Lauderdale could have their silly tunnel ($1b), do the full Tri-Rail Coastal Link to WPB ($500m), make the Sunshine Corridor happen ($1b), expand SunRail to Lakeland ($500m), make Tampa's streetcar an actual light rail network ($1b), and probably get you at least some form of passenger rail in Jacksonville ($1b). Obviously those numbers could all move around but those would definitely be the projects.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

jaxlongtimer

So none in NE Florida.

DeSantis knows that from northeast Florida to the panhandle it is reliably red for the most part and in his camp.  He is buying more votes in the purple and blue areas of Florida.  It's all about winning votes.

I note that one single interchange in Volusia County (#20) will cost a staggering $340 million.  Imagine how much infrastructure could be improved in the NW Quadrant of Jacksonville for that money.  That sum is probably more than the total spent in the NW Quadrant in the last 50 years  ;D.

This also shows that we mostly throw money at the interstates, not other roads or mass transit.  When does it end?

WarDamJagFan

So none in NE Florida.

DeSantis knows that from northeast Florida to the panhandle it is reliably red for the most part and in his camp.  He is buying more votes in the purple and blue areas of Florida.  It's all about winning votes.

I note that one single interchange in Volusia County (#20) will cost a staggering $340 million.  Imagine how much infrastructure could be improved in the NW Quadrant of Jacksonville for that money.  That sum is probably more than the total spent in the NW Quadrant in the last 50 years  ;D.

This also shows that we mostly throw money at the interstates, not other roads or mass transit.  When does it end?

FDOT probably showed DeSantis how long it takes to build a 1 mile pedestrian walkway in Jax

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
If I'm reading this correctly, that looks like $2.2 billion for additional widening of I-4? Seriously? Plus another $1.3 billion for whatever that connector road in #13 is?

The Poinciana Parkway is a half built toll road to Poinciana, which is a sprawling city that straddles Polk and Osceola Counties south of US 17/92. The Connector is a Central Florida Expressway Authority project that will link the Parkway to I-4 and US 17/92 in the vicinity of CR 54 (Loughman) and Reunion Resort.

Traffic is truly hell down down there. That stretch of I-4 between US 27 and Disney is a nightmare as well that is continously backed up. Still interesting to see no money pushed in NE Florida though. Nevertheless, is this being paid with the Biden infrastructure money that we said we didn't want?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Lunican

• The Jaxson
That's a lot of money to spend on these money losing roads.

acme54321

Traffic is truly hell down down there. That stretch of I-4 between US 27 and Disney is a nightmare as well that is continously backed up. Still interesting to see no money pushed in NE Florida though. Nevertheless, is this being paid with the Biden infrastructure money that we said we didn't want?

That section and north to the turnpike is a 24/7 traffic jam.  I don't know why they didn't run those express lanes all the way down past Disney.

Steve

• The Jaxson
Traffic is truly hell down down there. That stretch of I-4 between US 27 and Disney is a nightmare as well that is continuously backed up

Amen. Truly, nowhere in North Florida is as bad as this awfulness at the Polk-Osceola line. When I started going to Lakeland for work in 2015 there was next to no traffic. This is a disaster now and can add an hour to the drive from Lakeland to Jacksonville.

Now....we can also have the debate as to whether or not developers should have funded this, and I'd love to see equal money for intra-Florida rail.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
^I made the mistake once of attempting to take 17/92 between Haines City and Kissimmee to avoid the I-4 back up on the way to MCO. Everything was smooth sailing until I hit Poinciana. Never again!

Growing up, it took 20 minutes to get between Winter Haven and Lake Buena Vista. Those days are long gone. I still kick myself for not buying property at Reunion Resort when it was first proposed out in the boonies between Disney and US 27 in the early 2000s.

tufsu1

I am most excited about the 20 miles of "auxiliary lanes" on I-75 from Wildwood to north of Ocala!

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
The North Florida TPO Board was told at their February meeting why Northeast Florida received no funding from Moving Florida Forward:

SECRETARY OF TRANSPORTATION'S REPORT

Secretary Evans informed the Board the Shands Bridge Replacement project is under contract. This is the largest project we have let to date. As of this month, District 2 has 141 active projects and has paid out $56 million in construction costs.

The reason Moving Florida Forward did not allocate any money to our area is because Northeast Florida has $5.2 billion in projects, which is 9% of the DOT's overall budget. We will add 96 new lane miles, improve 2,305 lane miles and repair and/or replace 36 bridges over the next five years. To date, we have $1.45 billion in resurfacing projects. We are in partnership with JaxPort and the railroads to ensure that the supply chain issues do not affect these projects.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

Florida Power And Light

So none in NE Florida.

First Coast Outer Beltway Grand Opening soon!
Conservative Politics Drapes the Project.

Yes.... NE Fla is awash in road $$$$$.

North of Tampa the Toll Road initiative was thoroughly trounced. DeSantis remained as a possible Promoter.
So far, he has escaped Scrutiny.

“ Roads are The Mother’s Milk of Development “
- “    A once prominent NE Figure” - who here on this Forum can name the person that made that statement??
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 08:37:55 PM by Florida Power And Light »