Author Topic: The Photography of Max Moody Jr.  (Read 500 times)

jaxlongtimer

The Photography of Max Moody Jr.
« on: September 22, 2022, 12:07:30 PM »
https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/the-photography-of-max-moody-jr/

In one of the photos, there is a 4-masted sailing ship.  I am thinking this boat might be notable.  Does anyone have info about it?

P.S.  At first I thought it might be the Ostwind, a racing boat built by Hitler that resided in Downtown and Mandarin for many years before being scuttled as a reef in South Florida.  Supposedly, it wasn't Hitler's personal yacht but he did step aboard its decks several times.  As a result, it had a bit of notoriety and there are lots of articles on the Internet about it.  Here is one link: http://www.oldsaltblog.com/2022/04/adolph-hitlers-yachts-part-2-ostwind-and-the-offshore-reef/.  After seeing pictures of it I realized this is a different vessel.

Captain Zissou

Re: The Photography of Max Moody Jr.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 02:11:40 PM »
I too was thinking it was probably a notable boat that could be identified.  If it's the boat you say it is, that's quite the interesting bit of history.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 04:33:09 PM »
^ Pretty sure this is not Hitler's boat based on the internet photos I found.  But, this may still have a story to tell :).

duvaltilidie

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 08:06:47 PM »
Truly enjoying the galleries of old Jacksonville being found and published. I've tried looking and haven't been able to find any photos of old Riverside that show the Leon Cheek house's dock. All that remains are the pillars and pieces of rebar and old, rotted wooden deck pieces. Also, I've never seen any construction photos of the Riverwalk and the ramp that leads to Cork Screw Park. Hoping to see more pop up soon, or if they do exist if someone could share a link.