Author Topic: FDOT to widen I-95 through LaVilla  (Read 2048 times)

Jagsdrew

Re: FDOT to widen I-95 through LaVilla
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2022, 08:54:21 AM »
I decided to do the math the other day, and from International Golf Parkway to Beaver Street there’s over $1.5 billion of reconstruction and expansion that has either recently happened, is happening, or is going to happen on the I-95 corridor. That’s not including the additional $2 billion or so being spent on the I-295+SR9B combo, I-10, and the First Coast Expressway. And none of that includes the money going into all the big arterial roads like Beach Blvd.

For how much money is being poured into roadway projects I find it hard to imagine people will ultimately feel like traffic is being resolved to any useful degree. And it’s not like all these roads feel pleasant to drive on anyway.

If you have time, the Katy Freeway in Houston, TX expanded to 26 lanes, yes 26 lanes, to relieve congestion. Did it work? Absolutely not.
Twitter: @Jagsdrew

WarDamJagFan

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2022, 09:27:36 AM »
Capacity is increased - at the end of the project.
But ... traffic soon increases to fill that capacity.
Creating a "need" for more capacity, and more highway construction. A vicious spiral.

I find FDOT to be nothing more than a tax-payer funded racket in these areas with nobody from City Council to the Mayors' office pushing back on these never-ending projects. And as mentioned earlier in the thread, projects that are pathetic in comparison from an aesthetics point-of-view with other major cities in the state.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2022, 09:32:49 AM »
Locally, the community needs to demand more out of the design of its infrastructure projects. Don't expect FDOT to do it for us. That's the largest difference I see between Orlando, Tampa and Miami when it comes to FDOT. However, FDOT has responded well recently when locals have demanded various improvements be incorporated into major projects. The shared use path across the Fuller Warren and the full interchange at Atlantic Blvd in San Marco are two great examples.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2022, 01:18:33 PM »
...with nobody from City Council to the Mayors' office pushing back on these never-ending projects.

^ This!  The lack of proactive leadership among our elected and appointed officials is astounding.  No vision, no creativity, no backbone, no forward thinking, no genuine concern for the community and little willingness to engage, or listen to input from, the community that they are supposed to serve ... For most, it is all about helping the major campaign donors, special interests and their self interests.

Imagine, if Curry & Co. spent the same energy and effort in selling JEA or pushing Lot J to benefit his friends and himself, on projects like this that affect, for decades to come, the entire community he is elected to serve.  Just one example among thousands over the years.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 08:12:26 PM by jaxlongtimer »

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2022, 02:04:30 PM »
Well, get ready HU, from the FDOT I-95 project website https://nflroads.com/i95

Starting downtown at Atlantic Blvd. (overland bridge) - years when construction is scheduled to begin on segments to I-95
JTB to Atlantic Blvd - 2023
Baymeadows to JTB - 2023
I-295 to Baymeadows - 2025
First Coast Expressway (aka Outer Beltway) to I-295 - 2025
International Golf Parkway to FCE - 2023

I guess this is what happens when your metro population nears 2 million, and your city/urban population is a little over a million. In addition, you got all these "Northerners," and people from numerous other states moving to Jacksonville and all of Florida in droves. I understand and I'm proud of our City, but, I will be patient and accept progress and growth; it's good for the soul I guess.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialagency.com; thank you!!!

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2022, 10:25:48 PM »
40 years of road projects within 1 square mile of highway. Make it make sense.

Gotta feed the beast.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Charles Hunter

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2022, 10:54:57 PM »
Did anybody make it to the hearing?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2022, 10:09:57 PM »
I didn't make it but I'm going to invite FDOT to share their plans with the LaVilla Heritage Trail committee next month. This is a project that needs a higher level of community involvement, coordination and communication.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali