Author Topic: Shoppes at East Marco Publix takes shape  (Read 5655 times)

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
Re: Shoppes at East Marco Publix takes shape
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2022, 11:10:44 AM »
Never knew there was so much on that block.

jaxjaguar

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2022, 12:59:59 PM »
20 years of planning and this is what one of the best historic neighborhoods in Jax gets. Haha...hahahaha... hahahahhaahaha. It's truly incredible how backwards Jacksonville has become since the boom from the late 80's-90's/early 00's.

At least the Riverside Publix sort of preserved the street front business/walkable aesthetic. 20 years and the best they could come up with was a strip mall that looks copy/pasted from Atlantic Blvd. Ugh... The one bright side is the surface lot is smaller than it could be.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2022, 05:31:38 PM »
Other than there being some parking under the Publix, feels like a carbon copy of the Riverside Publix shopping center.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

sandyshoes

« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2022, 02:23:26 PM »
Now I'm getting nostalgic for all the little tiny grocery stores of my childhood;  the little standalone A&P on Jammes Rd.; the bigger one in the Cedar Hills Shopping Center, across Wilson Road from the other part that had a Zales, Lerner's, Western Auto and Winn-Dixie with its  cool light-up signage at night....Would love to see a separate thread on those types of grocers and their locations, if someone has time to go dig them up, please?  Feel free to cut this reply from this thread as you wish.  My hubby and I often wish we could get some good old Clark's Beefsteaks again.  (Those were devised by the family who owned the Clark's Grocery in San Marco).  I don't know what kind of clamor took place in San Marco to bring an Orangetheory where you can work off your Crumblecookies before you get Publix groceries and then decide to just eat at the upscale seafood restaurant.  It's not too late to chuck the add-on storefronts and just let Publix expand into those spaces and stand on its own as THE neighborhood market.  Parking sitch would be also better without folks competing to park for the other places when they open. 

realestatejax

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2022, 04:22:25 PM »
Now I'm getting nostalgic for all the little tiny grocery stores of my childhood;  the little standalone A&P on Jammes Rd.; the bigger one in the Cedar Hills Shopping Center, across Wilson Road from the other part that had a Zales, Lerner's, Western Auto and Winn-Dixie with its  cool light-up signage at night....Would love to see a separate thread on those types of grocers and their locations, if someone has time to go dig them up, please?  Feel free to cut this reply from this thread as you wish.  My hubby and I often wish we could get some good old Clark's Beefsteaks again.  (Those were devised by the family who owned the Clark's Grocery in San Marco).  I don't know what kind of clamor took place in San Marco to bring an Orangetheory where you can work off your Crumblecookies before you get Publix groceries and then decide to just eat at the upscale seafood restaurant.  It's not too late to chuck the add-on storefronts and just let Publix expand into those spaces and stand on its own as THE neighborhood market.  Parking sitch would be also better without folks competing to park for the other places when they open.

It's pretty damn tough to make money on just a Publix.  You make it on the shops space.

Pottsburg

• Always Carry Always Conceal
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2022, 08:14:24 AM »
Other than there being some parking under the Publix, feels like a carbon copy of the Riverside Publix shopping center.

The layout is very different, its similar to the Greenwise store in Nocatee
Forza Napoli!  EPL has nothing on the Serie A

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2022, 08:29:36 AM »
I was speaking more in terms of shopping center layout. In both cases, you have a Publix store with roughly 15,000 square feet of specialty retail. Unlike a suburban strip mall, the specialty retail creates a pedestrian scale atmosphere on at least one street. In both cases, you also have a large surface parking lot fronting another street. The largest difference between the two is that this Publix includes some parking under it.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

acme54321

« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2022, 06:10:35 PM »
Well, to the surprise of no one, all of the signage and lane markings on Atlantic have been removed and its back to two full lanes westbound at the Publix.

JPalmer

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2022, 02:35:37 PM »
Well, to the surprise of no one, all of the signage and lane markings on Atlantic have been removed and its back to two full lanes westbound at the Publix.

I think it was changed after the the first day school.