Author Topic: Shoppes at East Marco Publix takes shape  (Read 5652 times)

JPalmer

Re: Shoppes at East Marco Publix takes shape
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2022, 01:34:31 PM »
8 feet of lane reduction will be a major issue for the less than two hours each day during the roughly 170 days a year in which school is in session?

It could definitely be a major impact.  The car line from Landon spills out onto Atlantic and they just sit there blocking the entire right lane where the road is now one lane.  So either JSO is going to have to run the car line off or people are just going to drive over the now striped off portion of the left lane and JSO will have to ignore it.  I imagine the latter is what's going to happen.  It's going to be a total cluster in the beginning of August with the Publix opening and school starting until people start to figure it out, that's for sure.

Lol...It's painted stripes and I assume most people who drive this area on a daily basis drive right over the stripes like myself.

acme54321

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2022, 02:02:16 PM »
8 feet of lane reduction will be a major issue for the less than two hours each day during the roughly 170 days a year in which school is in session?

It could definitely be a major impact.  The car line from Landon spills out onto Atlantic and they just sit there blocking the entire right lane where the road is now one lane.  So either JSO is going to have to run the car line off or people are just going to drive over the now striped off portion of the left lane and JSO will have to ignore it.  I imagine the latter is what's going to happen.  It's going to be a total cluster in the beginning of August with the Publix opening and school starting until people start to figure it out, that's for sure.

Lol...It's painted stripes and I assume most people who drive this area on a daily basis drive right over the stripes like myself.

Me too, which is fine until the day JSO sits out there and starts handing out tickets.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2022, 02:15:05 PM »
As far as the intersection safety improvements are concerned, there was quite a bit of publicity surrounding these enhancements. I went to two public meetings that Councilwoman Cumber had hosted in conjunction with FDOT.

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/local/2-million-dollar-safety-improvement-project-could-be-coming-san-marco-area/F2FWK2CPSRHJXNI7QHETYSQDVM/

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2021/09/08/san-marco-square-hendricks-avenue.html

https://residentnews.net/2021/10/01/town-hall-meeting-called-to-address-pedestrian-safety-concerns-alter-traffic-patterns/

Are we even talking about the same thing?  All of these links are about the Hendricks/San Marco Blvd intersection.

Yes. That intersection alone didn't cost $2mm. It also included lane restriping at the intersections of Atlantic/Hendricks (including the turn lane into East San Marco and the lane reductions at the intersection of Atlantic/Hendricks); installing beacon crosswalks (two) along Atlantic Blvd; and restriping the crosswalk at Alford/Hendricks.

sandyshoes

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2022, 09:29:06 AM »
A reminder, to those who will have to cross the infamous San Marco RR tracks; consider bringing a cooler and ice to keep perishables, refrigerated or frozen items until you get home. Some of those trains are very long and slow. I'll venture out after all the opening day mayhem. 

acme54321

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2022, 07:50:26 AM »
Pigs are flying over the now open Publix.  My wife went this morning and successfully came back with some random stuff we needed.

MusicMan

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2022, 09:51:17 AM »
Any pedestrians get flattened?

Captain Zissou

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2022, 10:42:22 AM »
One thing I believe is not in dispute is that as things stand today, January 16 of 2019, the "Publix in San Marco" venture has been a failure.
Yes it "takes a long time" to put these deals together, but 10 years is extreme. And quite frankly, NO ONE BLOGGING HERE knows when if at all a Publix will eventually open on the site.  I'm fairly certain the company behind the development, Regency, is not publicly owned, so there are no share holders asking questions and pushing for a resolution to the issue.
Looks like there has not been any horrific pedestrian accidents in the first 4 hours of being open, Musicman, but thanks for the keen insights.  Looking through all of your past expert analysis on this project, here is my favorite.  I think this is back when you were simping hard for Sanmarcomatt, so I'll forgive the arrogance of not bothering to google whether Regency was public or not.

MusicMan

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2022, 10:56:54 AM »
Bravo Captain.  You win again!

Post a list of all the other stuff built from 2006 (I believe the annoucement of this project) until today while your at it. 

https://www.news4jax.com/money/2022/08/11/new-publix-20-years-in-the-making-finally-opens-in-san-marco/

sandyshoes

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2022, 01:03:26 PM »
Ever being a glutton for punishment, couldn't help myself, had to go see the new Pbx.  At lunchtime. The parking, including the garage, is very tight and difficult to get in/out of.  Strange to be confined in an elevator, about 6 adults can get on with little space (certainly not 6 feet) in between.  It was different to get onto an elevator with a shopping cart afterwards, but they are freight elevators to handle the load.  When you get off the elevator and get your cart (they have the smaller carts, as well as regular ones). Trying to get the feel of the place and a vague idea what's where, I felt like almost like a chimney swift must feel.  The outside walls seem to be hexagonal, and the aisles seem shorter, and they do seem to have fewer items.  Never got near the meat counter, so not sure where that was.  Got just a few items and left.  The people-watching was fun - especially when the punkers were so terrified of the scene they left quickly.  I'm afraid it's too small.  They could definitely have done better on the layout and the parking, instead of making space for other little shops. It's already a cluster. Just my own personal .02 cents.  I know everyone's been to a grocery store before, but just sharing my own personal experience.  I'll keep my status quo. 

fsu813

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2022, 02:32:12 PM »
A significant portion of the first floor parking garage was 8 inches under water about an hour ago. Yikes.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 02:34:45 PM by fsu813 »

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2022, 02:34:36 PM »
I'm fairly certain the company behind the development, Regency, is not publicly owned, so there are no share holders asking questions and pushing for a resolution to the issue.

FYI, Regency Centers, is indeed, a public corporation.  It trades under the stock symbol REG on the NASDAQ.  The company is valued at over $11 billion.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2022, 03:09:11 PM »
Ever being a glutton for punishment, couldn't help myself, had to go see the new Pbx.  At lunchtime. The parking, including the garage, is very tight and difficult to get in/out of.  Strange to be confined in an elevator, about 6 adults can get on with little space (certainly not 6 feet) in between.  It was different to get onto an elevator with a shopping cart afterwards, but they are freight elevators to handle the load.  When you get off the elevator and get your cart (they have the smaller carts, as well as regular ones). Trying to get the feel of the place and a vague idea what's where, I felt like almost like a chimney swift must feel.  The outside walls seem to be hexagonal, and the aisles seem shorter, and they do seem to have fewer items.  Never got near the meat counter, so not sure where that was.  Got just a few items and left.  The people-watching was fun - especially when the punkers were so terrified of the scene they left quickly.  I'm afraid it's too small.  They could definitely have done better on the layout and the parking, instead of making space for other little shops. It's already a cluster. Just my own personal .02 cents.  I know everyone's been to a grocery store before, but just sharing my own personal experience.  I'll keep my status quo. 

Honestly, this sounds - outside of the elevators - like the Riverside Publix but a bigger store. I mean the parking HAS to be better than Riverside if for no other reason than there's more of it, right?

Now.....if the parking area flooded with standard rain, that's not ideal, though given the place is still under construction that could be teething issues.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2022, 03:22:10 PM »
The people-watching was fun - especially when the punkers were so terrified of the scene they left quickly.

Care to elaborate on this?

Captain Zissou

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2022, 03:24:23 PM »
Now.....if the parking area flooded with standard rain, that's not ideal, though given the place is still under construction that could be teething issues.

Could still be debris barriers over the storm drains to prevent contamination, but they also slow drainage. There are some significant puddles outside my office, so it may have been more than just a standard rain.

acme54321

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2022, 04:33:31 PM »
My house is like a 1/4 mile away and it straight up monsooned for like 30 minutes this afternoon.  At one point it was horizontal.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 04:41:15 PM by acme54321 »