Author Topic: DIA may put historic Snyder Memorial building on the market  (Read 1126 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
The Downtown Investment Authority says it will try again to put the Snyder Memorial building on the market to find a buyer or developer to repurpose the historic church.

DIA Director of Downtown Real Estate Development Steve Kelley told the authority’s Retail Enhancement and Property Disposition Committee on June 15 that it plans to solicit a request for proposals.

Full article: https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/dia-may-put-historic-snyder-memorial-building-on-the-market
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Downtown Osprey

Re: DIA may put historic Snyder Memorial building on the market
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 10:44:48 AM »
I love this building so much. I've always thought it would be an incredible music venue similar to Ponte Vedra Music Hall.

jaxjaguar

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 12:00:08 PM »
What happened to the plans to convert it into something like Underbelly? I remember during One Spark they had it open and there were talks of it becoming a brewery / music venue.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 01:25:11 PM »
That died a long time ago. Not for sure that was anything more serious than a very very conceptual proposal for the property.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 02:49:21 PM »
I remember when this building was a viable Church (way way back). I think a restaurant/sports bar eatery would be appropriate. If not that, maybe an entertainment venue of some sort. Raze it? No. But the way our city leaders think, don't rule that out either.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialagency.com; thank you!!!

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 04:23:50 PM »
Isn't one of the only pre-fire buildings left in the core?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2022, 05:26:52 PM »
No, it was built in 1903. Everything in this portion of downtown was destroyed by the Great Fire.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2022, 06:22:33 AM »
But… my oh my where will the panhandlers go?
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Ken_FSU

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2022, 02:31:51 PM »

With the qualifier that maybe I'm just totally unapproachable, there really aren't many traditional panhandlers downtown, at least during the week. I can count on one hand the numbers of times I've been asked for cash in the CBD in the last five years or so. Really does seem to be mostly people who legitimately seem like they belong in a mental facility getting help. Mumbling to themselves. In the case of Snyder, literally laying in the sidewalk all day, sometimes without pants.

Beach Boulevard on the other hand has become borderline unsafe with all the panhandlers. At nearly every intersection these days, you've got people camped with boilerplate signs, walking up and down the median, and sometimes into traffic. I take it by the fact that cops drive right by them that it's not illegal?

Charles Hunter

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2022, 02:36:56 PM »
^ It is illegal, but, apparently, the cops have more pressing needs. Like not getting out of their air-conditioned cars into the 90+ degree heat.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2022, 04:32:13 PM »

With the qualifier that maybe I'm just totally unapproachable, there really aren't many traditional panhandlers downtown, at least during the week. I can count on one hand the numbers of times I've been asked for cash in the CBD in the last five years or so. Really does seem to be mostly people who legitimately seem like they belong in a mental facility getting help. Mumbling to themselves. In the case of Snyder, literally laying in the sidewalk all day, sometimes without pants.

Beach Boulevard on the other hand has become borderline unsafe with all the panhandlers. At nearly every intersection these days, you've got people camped with boilerplate signs, walking up and down the median, and sometimes into traffic. I take it by the fact that cops drive right by them that it's not illegal?

My understanding is that panhandling is not illegal if they only approach your car when you waive them over from the sidewalk to contribute to their cause.  I think this is the result of court decisions about freedom to hold a sign as long as you don't harass people.

Most of the panhandlers I see are "regulars" with cookie-cutter signs and using the exact same locations repeatedly (is there a school for this? :) ) over several years making me suspect they are not homeless and not mentally ill, just seeking tax free money without working for it legitimately.  I donate to well known social agencies so they can access these agencies that will triage their "needs" and determine what is truly appropriate to support them, something I am not set up to do on my own.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2022, 04:45:50 PM »

I’ve been doing at least one tour a month of Downtown since last October, including at times when we’re the only ones down there besides the regulars. I can count on one hand the number of times I or anyone on my tour has been panhandled there. In Five Points, on the other hand, it’s multiple times a week.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

MusicMan

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2022, 07:41:09 PM »
A cool building. Is there a link to interior photos?

My good friend lives at Churchwell Lofts. He see's the homeless and panhandlers up close and personal.  Do you folks live downtown?
I remember dropping him off one evening after he returned from travel, about 11 pm. Before he could make it to his door a dude was asking him for help....$$$.   Gas money as I recall. 

And I have been hit up every time I get a beer at Bold City DT.... 

In Five Points its a couple of times between Hawkers and MedMen. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 08:06:08 PM by MusicMan »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2022, 08:40:23 PM »
My comment regarding panhandling was less about panhandling and more about a abandoned landmark building used mainly by the homeless…
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2022, 01:41:27 PM »

And I have been hit up every time I get a beer at Bold City DT....

I get hit up every blue moon. No more than any other city though. It's been the same, regardless of where my Northbank offices have been since 2010.