Author Topic: Direct flight from JAX to Sarasota (or Tampa)?  (Read 1227 times)

fieldafm

• Editor
Re: Direct flight from JAX to Sarasota (or Tampa)?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2022, 02:51:55 PM »
The only time its taken me more than 4 hours to get from Jax to Sarasota, is when I left Jax at 3pm on the Friday of a holiday weekend.  The new 301 loop around Starke shaves off at least another 15-20 minutes to the trip nowadays.

Even if you did the Silver flight through Tampa, you have greater than a 25% chance that the flight gets cancelled right now.... and you'll spend more time in airports then you would just driving. 

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2022, 06:21:50 PM »
If you drive for an hour at a time and take 2 or 3 stops for lunch or visiting an historic site or a park (our state parks are pretty good and they seem to be plentiful enough to be close to wherever you might find yourself) or other attraction along the way, maybe you could pull it off.

I would hope a one hour ride at a time was manageable given you probably take that long at times in some of your local travels, wherever that might be (it is getting to where it could take an hour to go crosstown in Jax).

In the past, we've had to break up the trip a bit (we only had the one kid at the time). But it's so long that we don't want to spend too much time. We barely ever ride anywhere now - prior to the pandemic, we'd take buses all the time. These days, we walk the kids to and from school and walk most everywhere locally. We do take the train when we have to. But I think the lack of using public transport has made the kids more susceptible to motion sickness, as they are out of practice (for lack of a better word). I do think that if we drive carefully (in order to avoid lost of jerking movements/stepping on the brakes) it shouldn't be too bad, fingers crossed. The smoother the ride, the better.

Not trying to be flippant, but maybe this is a mindset issue that can be addressed with counselling.  Tough to have to live with this issue for a lifetime.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2022, 10:15:15 AM »
The only time its taken me more than 4 hours to get from Jax to Sarasota, is when I left Jax at 3pm on the Friday of a holiday weekend.  The new 301 loop around Starke shaves off at least another 15-20 minutes to the trip nowadays.

Even if you did the Silver flight through Tampa, you have greater than a 25% chance that the flight gets cancelled right now.... and you'll spend more time in airports then you would just driving.

Thanks. Most of the options I see would end up taking far too long. We probably take longer than you, given that we stop a bunch, etc with the kids. Back in my child-free days, I'd regularly get it done in about 4 hours. I am not sure the 301 loop was there last time, so I might check that out.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2022, 10:21:54 AM »
If you drive for an hour at a time and take 2 or 3 stops for lunch or visiting an historic site or a park (our state parks are pretty good and they seem to be plentiful enough to be close to wherever you might find yourself) or other attraction along the way, maybe you could pull it off.

I would hope a one hour ride at a time was manageable given you probably take that long at times in some of your local travels, wherever that might be (it is getting to where it could take an hour to go crosstown in Jax).

In the past, we've had to break up the trip a bit (we only had the one kid at the time). But it's so long that we don't want to spend too much time. We barely ever ride anywhere now - prior to the pandemic, we'd take buses all the time. These days, we walk the kids to and from school and walk most everywhere locally. We do take the train when we have to. But I think the lack of using public transport has made the kids more susceptible to motion sickness, as they are out of practice (for lack of a better word). I do think that if we drive carefully (in order to avoid lost of jerking movements/stepping on the brakes) it shouldn't be too bad, fingers crossed. The smoother the ride, the better.

Not trying to be flippant, but maybe this is a mindset issue that can be addressed with counselling.  Tough to have to live with this issue for a lifetime.

Maybe - but I think it's something they are likely to grow out of. Probably would resolve itself if they rode in cars more, but since we don't own a car, they don't get much practice.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”