Author Topic: Greenleaf Building Sold, Jacobs moving from Downtown  (Read 642 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: Greenleaf Building Sold, Jacobs moving from Downtown
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 04:11:50 PM »
Huh.....Not sure how I feel about this one. Admittedly conflicted as there aren't too many retailers left from the heyday of Downtown retail.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 04:24:42 PM »
I know JWB has been spending a lot of money in downtown already, but I'm very excited for them to move their operations to the urban core.  I am sure they will enhance that block at the street level.

Alex Sifakis

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 05:23:33 PM »
I agree that it was bittersweet to see Jacobs go, but I think everyone will be excited for the type of retail (and the quality of tenant) that we are planning to bring to the first floor of all of our buildings.  The amount of interest in DT from out of town, best in class retail has been remarkable.  IMO, outsiders see what is happening much more clearly than most local operators (although there are some clear exceptions to that - we are having conversations with some great local operators as well).

sandyshoes

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 06:16:51 PM »
What will happen to the landmark clock?

Alex Sifakis

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 10:40:51 PM »
Nothing, going to stay right where it is!

fsu813

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 10:42:32 PM »
JWB continues to put their money where their mouth is regarding Downtown revitalization, where other developers have not. Bravo.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 02:11:10 AM »
I worked in the Greenleaf building for a couple of years.  I think it is one of the most beautiful buildings in the City, a real gem in a perfect location.  This is a real "catch" for JWB.  Jealous of this purchase :).

I am thinking Jacobs has to be the oldest retail left in the core by far.  With their departure, other than bars and restaurants, what retail is left of any note?  Maybe the Jaxson does a review of the remains, if any.

Clothing, home goods, grocery, hobby stores, furniture, newsstands, department stores, service companies (insurance and now, even some bank branches) movie theaters, auto stores, pharmacies/drug stores, travel agents, jewelry stores, variety stores, the post office.... one by one, all but gone from downtown.  Churches are struggling, and, now, with COVID, many office workers are disappearing too.

I think residential is the main hope for the future of Downtown which may bring some of the above back one day.