Author Topic: Sulzbacher Moving to Brentwood  (Read 842 times)

acme54321

Sulzbacher Moving to Brentwood
« on: June 21, 2022, 07:48:36 AM »

fsu813

Re: Sulzbacher Moving to Brentwood
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 10:54:28 PM »
Deconsolidation of daily, intensive homeless services from the Downtown core is the only way to alleviate the associated burden on Downtown in the next decade. Years ago, the local homeless thought leader felt that was blasphemy and became quite upset at this suggestion during a City Council special committee meeting. Others on this forum have urged adding 10, 20, 30k+ residents as a way to dilute the negative impact of these services on the core - great idea in theory, but not realistic anytime soon. The cheapest, quickest way to make a dramatic improvement in people's experience and perception of Downtown is to incentivize more of the daily intensive service providers (mostly shelters) to deconsolidate, so great to see this  move actually coming to fruition after a loooooooong exploration period.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 10:56:19 PM by fsu813 »

acme54321

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 06:29:41 AM »
I fully agree.  No one wants to admit it but there's a problem and its a major roadblock to bringing people downtown.  Not to say it isn't a problem in other places too.

The next one that needs to go is the Salvation Army.  Their poorly maintained properties (and surface lots) dominate three of the most visible blocks downtown.  Not a great look.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 06:33:49 AM by acme54321 »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 12:15:35 PM »
I must say, I'm not really crazy about services being relocated to historic Black communities for the sake of making downtown better. As a planner, I get the gist that systemic and discriminatory policy practices are still at play locally. It keeps me pretty skeptical of conversations to relocate the jail and ideas such as landbanking in the urban core. Most of us already know who'll end up with the short end of the stick.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 12:17:17 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 12:22:36 PM »
I also believe COJ is and has been the biggest problem for Downtown. Not this particular issue or having more residents living in it. The recent self storage debate is a great example of how we tend to trip over our own two feet.

There are places all over the country, big and small, with more vibrant DT scenes despite having to deal with vagrancy and not having 10k residents. What they all tend to have in common is that they don't look like a war zone and more priority has been given to making them pedestrian friendly and maintaining their sense of place.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

fsu813

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022, 12:49:44 PM »
I must say, I'm not really crazy about services being relocated to historic Black communities for the sake of making downtown better.

Ideally, in my mind, each "side" of town would have their own smaller hub of services. Of course, that's difficult to do considering the power/influence structure in Jacksonville (and beyond).

fsu813

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022, 12:55:09 PM »

The next one that needs to go is the Salvation Army.  Their poorly maintained properties (and surface lots) dominate three of the most visible blocks downtown.  Not a great look.

The properties on the Eastside of Main Street are for sale:
https://www.cbre.com/offices/corporate/jacksonville/jacksonville-property-search/details/US-SMPL-55674/salvation-army-41-east-duval-street-jacksonville-fl-32202?view=isLetting%2CisSale

The irony is that the Sulzbacher Center and Salvation Army are among the best run, most professional service centers we have. The ones fronting State & Union have a larger negative impact.

sandyshoes

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2022, 01:44:34 PM »
So then what happens to the homeless I see at State and Union Streets?  If they are physically able to walk the distance, they can get to shelter/food/showers/beds, and safety in hurricanes/freezing weather, but when those disappear - then what?  I know "neighborhood hubs" were mentioned by someone already, but I don't get the impression those will be large enough to take care of them. I don't think either agency will be kind enough to bus them safely to Brentwood to find what they need. These people never dreamed they would become homeless.  Now their only lifeline of sorts it being yanked away by the very people who receive donations and volunteers to serve this population?!?? Welcome to the COLD new city of the south. 

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2022, 10:28:33 PM »
So then what happens to the homeless I see at State and Union Streets?  If they are physically able to walk the distance, they can get to shelter/food/showers/beds, and safety in hurricanes/freezing weather, but when those disappear - then what?  I know "neighborhood hubs" were mentioned by someone already, but I don't get the impression those will be large enough to take care of them. I don't think either agency will be kind enough to bus them safely to Brentwood to find what they need. These people never dreamed they would become homeless.  Now their only lifeline of sorts it being yanked away by the very people who receive donations and volunteers to serve this population?!?? Welcome to the COLD new city of the south. 
Not all of them ever dreamed they would be homeless, only some of them. It's hard to believe but there are some, or even most that are in fact homeless by choice; then of course there are some that just stumble into homelessness like you said, and yes, it is a shock. Good point on the homeless population needing shelter for freezing cold, blazing hot weather, hurricanes, tropical storms, etc. All of them cannot shelter or fit into the Liberty Center or other smaller places (Clara White, etc.), so, WHERE WILL THEY GO AND WILL SHELTER BE PROVIDED FOR THEM IF SULZBACHER IS MOVED MILES AWAY? This is in fact something that our City Leaders need to really look at and microscope. Btw, I work in the social work arena in a small private social agency and interact with the homeless demographic quite often; so I know quite a bit about them.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialagency.com; thank you!!!