Author Topic: Again, rules mean little in Jax as self storage request moves forward  (Read 5050 times)

fsu813

Re: Again, rules mean little in Jax as self storage request moves forward
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2022, 08:45:05 AM »
Here's some facts: in an area in desperate need of residential infill with street level retail, a developer of storage facilities actually has a contract in place.

Please explain that.

In this ultra premium location, where are all the residential developers?  Corner Lot? JWB?  The local guys?  The big money from Atlanta and Miami? I assume they are waiting for the storage guys to get turned down, then they will step in with plans?

You are the expert. Were they turned down? Could they not make it work financially?  Everyone blogging on this site says that's the perfect fit for this area, so why isn't it happening?  I'm asking so please answer.

My guess was there is enough residential in place and under construction to satisfy the current need. Obviously I am wrong. So you enlighten us.

Doing whatever is viable at the moment isn't a good strategy. Good to have standards, of which zoning is a form of.

MusicMan

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2022, 08:57:40 AM »
I do not. I asked what folks thought was a good fit. "Residential with retail at street level."  So then I asked why that was not being pursued there. 

There are better places for storage, I suggested using part of the massive parking lot it at Philips and Emerson, which I think is a good use for some of the asphalt there.   I think it called San Marco East.  Probably not allowed as it is already parking.  But there is room on that parcel, so it seemed like a good place. 

I also proposed that the reason no one is pursuing residential with retail at street level is because the developers (looking in that area) believe it's got enough right now between what is already there and what is proposed. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2022, 09:09:50 AM »
So then I asked why that was not being pursued there.

It was mentioned on the other page that Vestcor had recently pursued this particular piece of property. Nevertheless, there doesn't appear to be a strong case to change the zoning overlay for this particular project. There are plenty of sites in and surrounding downtown where self storage can be built without changing the zoning code. Hopefully, this particular developer will pursue some of those opportunities.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

MusicMan

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2022, 10:31:21 AM »
Agree. Would the proposed storage building be about the same size as the garage recently constructed at Hendricks and I 95 for the project there?  It pretty damn big.

vicupstate

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2022, 11:18:52 AM »
A self-storage buyer could probably offer more money to the seller than a developer. I would assume the revenue per SF is significantly higher with self-storage. Thus the seller has an incentive to go that route and the self-storage buyer has good reason to offer more for the property.  That doesn't make it a compatible use for the area, which is why that use is not permitted. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

fsu813

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2022, 08:47:36 AM »
At LUZ yesterday evening, Gaffney said he will withdraw the bill.

This would have passed if not for the last minute overwhelming public input against it.

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2022, 09:45:14 AM »
Definitely a good move. There was no logical reason to change the overlay for this project. There's opportunity for the developer to build this type of product in most CCG-1 and CCG-2 zoning districts adjacent to downtown already. They should redirect their site selection efforts to these locations.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

MusicMan

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2022, 11:10:08 AM »
Agree . Now it's free for all those "residential with street level retail" investors to make their move.

Not sure if there's enough room but 1853 Kings Ave, 1877 Kings Ave and the neighboring parcel (no address) look like a reasonable possibility. Correct Zoning as well (I think).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 11:44:35 AM by MusicMan »

acme54321

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2022, 12:11:51 PM »
Agree . Now it's free for all those "residential with street level retail" investors to make their move.

Not sure if there's enough room but 1853 Kings Ave, 1877 Kings Ave and the neighboring parcel (no address) look like a reasonable possibility. Correct Zoning as well (I think).

Someone was planning to build storage on those parcels like 5 years ago around the same time that the units on the other side of the road were built but it never happened.

acme54321

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2022, 10:21:23 PM »
It's kind of shocking how a relative few emails can make  a difference.  Hard to believe that 120 emails is all that it takes to make a difference in a city of a million.  Really shows you how much people care, or rather don't.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2022, 08:44:26 AM »
It's kind of shocking how a relative few emails can make  a difference.  Hard to believe that 120 emails is all that it takes to make a difference in a city of a million.  Really shows you how much people care, or rather don't.

I have to give Councilwoman Cumber credit here.  This rezoning application was thought to be dead many months ago.  Pouncing on this opportunity that it was basically forgotten about, the attorney-in-fact got it moving again hoping to avoid public scrutiny.

Cumber made A LOT of calls and sent emails to a comprehensive gamut of people (including many outside of Downtown and San Marco), trying to drum up awareness and public opposition to this horribly, short-sighted overlay change.  It worked.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 08:48:08 AM by fieldafm »

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2022, 04:20:41 PM »
I have disagreed with Cumber, but she was 100% right here. Many thanks to her, Matt Carlucci and San Marco Preservation Society, as without them, this was on track to pass. It’s unbelievable that such an obviously bad decision had so much support among council members. Or at least I wish it was unbelievable.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

acme54321

« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2022, 05:05:05 PM »
I have disagreed with Cumber, but she was 100% right here. Many thanks to her, Matt Carlucci and San Marco Preservation Society, as without them, this was on track to pass. It’s unbelievable that such an obviously bad decision had so much support among council members. Or at least I wish it was unbelievable.

Totally agree