Author Topic: Nashville: Arena took downtown Nashville from eerie to epic  (Read 642 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
Nashville: Arena took downtown Nashville from eerie to epic
« on: January 20, 2022, 12:43:05 PM »
https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/columnist/dave-ammenheuser/2016/01/22/arena-took-downtown-nashville-eerie-epic/77092054/

Worth the read. There is a paywall but you get like 5 articles a month.

What I didn't know is that the land around 2 of the sides of Bridgestone Arena was vacant when the arena was completed (And was just parking). They then sold the land for development later and later built a convention center next door - worked out well.

One thing they don't have to contend with is the parking need for Titans Games. Nissan Stadium is across the river from downtown, though still walkable to downtown which ended up being a brilliant design. Nissan Stadium has a lot of parking lots on one side of the stadium that works for the "go to the game and leave" crowd, but it's close enough to be walkable for people who want something to do before/after a game.

There really isn't a reason we CAN'T do something similar here. I'd love the ballpark and arena to be in the core, but we're not moving them.

jaxjaguar

Re: Nashville: Arena took downtown Nashville from eerie to epic
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 05:11:28 PM »
Of the "large" stadiums I've been to I think Nissan and Coors field are the best from a location perspective. Both are very walkable if you're a visitor staying downtown and the amenities nearby are excellent at both. They're prime examples of why having a pro sports team can be a great asset for a downtown. Tens of thousands of people flock to the nearby bars and restaurants before and after the games and support the local businesses in the core while visiting.

Even Orlando is pushing for better connection between downtown and the sport venues. We just found out Sunrail is going to extend their hours to help people get to and from the stadium on game days (Church Street station is an easy walk to Amway).

Ken_FSU

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 10:03:33 PM »
Had very similar thoughts the last time I was in Nash, Steve:

https://www.metrojacksonville.com/forum/index.php/topic,37145.0.html

The synergy around the Arena with Assembly Hall, The Ryman, Broadway, etc is just nuts.

Will be a couple of decades before either the Arena or Baseball Grounds are obsolete, but man would it be cool to see them brought into the urban core proper one day so that the CBD could actually benefit from that ~million in annual foot traffic.

I get the efficiencies of shared infrastructure between all the facilities, but I’m not particularly convinced that the sports complex really benefits downtown all that much out on the periphery.

Ken_FSU

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 10:13:57 PM »
P.S. You’d need to rework Independent Drive, but the Landing site would be such a great location for the Baseball Grounds, overlooking the Main Street Bridge PNC Park style, with views of Friendship Fountain and the Acosta. Times-Union property too.

fsu813

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 11:11:53 PM »

Will be a couple of decades before either the Arena or Baseball Grounds are obsolete, but man would it be cool to see them brought into the urban core proper one day so that the CBD could actually benefit from that ~million in annual foot traffic.

About the time our "new" county courthouse will be due for significant maintenance upgrades..... hmmmm....