Author Topic: A rare look inside Historic Old Stanton School  (Read 1107 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
A rare look inside Historic Old Stanton School
« on: January 19, 2022, 09:25:54 AM »

A rare look inside one of Florida's most overlooked historically significant buildings: Historic Stanton

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/a-rare-look-inside-historic-old-stanton-school/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

MusicMan

Re: A rare look inside Historic Old Stanton School
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 08:13:14 PM »
I'm struggling with the fact its owned by private entities and it's still in this condition.

Incredible potential.

For anyone who is interested, "School House #8" at 1221 E 16th Street is for sale.

42,000 sq ft on over 2 acres.  Seller asking $750,000
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 08:22:18 PM by MusicMan »

acme54321

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 10:43:44 PM »
That non profit hasn't been able to maintain the building for decades.  Something needs to change or else I fear the situation is going to keep getting worse.

Josh

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 09:10:48 AM »
For anyone who is interested, "School House #8" at 1221 E 16th Street is for sale.

42,000 sq ft on over 2 acres.  Seller asking $750,000

I went there for 4th and 5th grade back in the early 90s when it was J. Allen Axson.

It breaks my heart to see the condition it's in now every time I drive to a Jags game.

MusicMan

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 09:28:22 AM »
If Shad Khan wanted to make a meaningful impact on Downtown (aside from fielding a horrible football team) he could set aside $5 million or so to renovate a couple of these old Public School projects, or do it himself.  Last time I checked Forbes the Jags had (somehow)  increased in value by $1.5 billion. so there should be some cash available somewhere.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 10:22:18 AM »
If Shad Khan wanted to make a meaningful impact on Downtown (aside from fielding a horrible football team) he could set aside $5 million or so to renovate a couple of these old Public School projects, or do it himself.  Last time I checked Forbes the Jags had (somehow)  increased in value by $1.5 billion. so there should be some cash available somewhere.

I mean, Khan 'doesn't even own a condo here'... so why should he be expected to donate $5mm to renovate some former school properties?

Have you yourself donated to the nonprofit that has owned this school for the past 100+ years?

The Jaguars recently put up money to restore a longtime community staple on the Eastside... but somehow deserve criticism to not donating several million more to renovate another building?   This fascination that Shad Khan is somehow responsible for curing the entire ills of Jacksonville is truly bizarre.
https://www.jaguars.com/news/khan-family-and-jaguars-foundation-make-1-million-commitment

MusicMan

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 11:59:40 AM »
I'm more impressed with what the Weaver's did at John Gorrie than anything Khan has done here.  And that is what I am talking about, not necessarily making money but improving the neighborhood. I'm certain the Weaver's spent more than a $1,000,000 at John Gorrie, and it turned out to be a huge win for the area.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/making-old-new-again

There is an impressive legacy of local philanthropy in Jacksonville by folks with a tiny fraction of the money Shad Khan has.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 03:34:47 PM »
There is something to be said for donations that can immediately make a tangible improvement for people and communities that need it the most. LIFT Jax and Historic Eastside CDC are now assisting struggling long time residents in home repair, as a part of the efforts there to limit displacement as redevelopment continues to take place in Springfield and the Sports District. Residents have seen what has happened to Brooklyn and LaVilla and don't want any parts of that type of gentrification. It's pretty cool to see many of the small shotguns and other dwellings being fixed up now. This approach is a good solution to Jacksonville's affordable housing challenges.

No need to compare donations between individuals. Hopefully, everyone will keep donating to the community. Our city needs all the help it can get.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali