Author Topic: Will Russia invade Ukraine?  (Read 22597 times)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: Will Russia invade Ukraine?
« Reply #180 on: June 04, 2022, 08:31:44 AM »
IS has added an interactive map .  It is zoomable, contains terrain and highway/roadway information... very detailed.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/36a7f6a6f5a9448496de641cf64bd375
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #181 on: June 06, 2022, 08:05:33 AM »
Translated Russian and Ukrainian comments from military bloggers... interesting perspectives.

https://wartranslated.com/
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #183 on: June 26, 2022, 03:32:33 AM »
Severodonesk has fallen following a controlled withdrawal by Ukrainian forces...

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-june-25

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #184 on: June 29, 2022, 07:39:24 AM »
A Russian military blogger provides Russian perspective of Donbas area fighting...

https://wartranslated.com/igor-girkin-recaps-donbas-offensive-in-a-broadcast-with-former-russian-politician-28-june/

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #185 on: July 06, 2022, 07:39:22 AM »
Interesting political analysis of Russian goals in Ukraine after the fall of Luhansk oblast...

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-july-5
Russia’s stated objectives in its invasion of Ukraine remain regime change in Kyiv and the truncation of the sovereignty of any Ukrainian state that survives the Russian attack despite Russian military setbacks and rhetoric hinting at a reduction in war aims following those defeats. Russian Security Council Secretary Nikolai Patrushev stated on July 5 that the Russian military operation in Ukraine will continue until Russia achieves its goals of protecting civilians from “genocide,” “denazifying” and demilitarizing Ukraine, and obliging Ukraine to be permanently neutral between Russia and NATO—almost exactly restating the goals Russian President Vladimir Putin announced in his February 24 speech justifying the war.[1] Putin had stated that the operation aimed to protect civilians from humiliation and genocide, demilitarize and denazify Ukraine, and prosecute genocidal perpetrators.[2] Patrushev’s explicit restatement of Putin‘s initial objectives, nearly five months later, strongly indicates that the Kremlin does not consider recent Russian gains in Luhansk Oblast sufficient to accomplish the initial goals of the "special operation,” supporting ISW’s ongoing assessment that the Kremlin has significant territorial aspirations beyond the Donbas. Patrushev’s statement suggests that Russian military leadership will continue to push for advances outside Donetsk and Luhansk blasts and that the Kremlin is preparing for a protracted war with the intention of taking much larger portions of Ukraine.[3]

Patrushev’s statement is noteworthy because of its timing and his position as a close confidante of Putin. Patrushev is very unlikely to stray far from Putin’s position in his public comments given his relationship with Putin and his role in the Kremlin. His restatement of virtually the same maximalist objectives that Putin laid out before the invasion even as Russian forces seemed to be closing in on the more limited objectives of securing Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts—which Putin and other Russian leaders had hinted were their new aims following their defeats around Kyiv—strongly suggests that those hints did not reflect any actual change in Kremlin policy. Patrushev’s statement significantly increases the burden on those who suggest that some compromise ceasefire or even peace based on limited additional Russian territorial gains is possible, even if it were acceptable to Ukraine or desirable for the West (neither of which is the case).

Igor Girkin, a Russian nationalist and former commander of militants in the 2014 war in Donbas, responded to Patrushev’s statements and continued expressing his general disillusionment with the Kremlin’s official line on operations in Ukraine. Girkin said that the intended goals of “denazification” and “de-militarization” will only be possible with the total defeat of the Ukrainian military and the surrender of the Ukrainian government.[4] Girkin noted that Russian victory is premised on the capture of "Novorossiya”—a notional territory that encompasses eight Ukrainian oblasts, including the Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts and much of eastern and southern Ukraine. Girkin also claimed that the capture of “Novorossiya” is the bare minimum and that Russian goals will be realized through the total capture of “Malorossiya,” which is an invocation of the Russian imperial concept for almost all Ukrainian territory. Girkin is once again pushing back on the Kremlin line, which he views as insufficient in securing Russian objectives in Ukraine. Luhansk People’s Republic (LNR) Ambassador to Russia Rodion Miroshnik similarly suggested that the Kremlin has not yet met its goals in Ukraine, despite reaching the borders of his claimed oblast, and stated that LNR authorities are still not confident in the security of the LNR.[5] Girkin and Miroshnik’s statements, taken together, indicate that Russian nationalists continue to push for further territorial gains and, at least in Girkin’s case, full-scale regime change and the incorporation of most of Ukraine into Russia. Patrushev’s statement suggests that Kremlin thinking may not be that far removed from these extremist nationalist ambitions. 

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #186 on: July 11, 2022, 04:42:41 PM »
The recapture of Snake island by Ukrainian military has enabled 8 ships to enter Ukrainian ports to export grain previously blockaded by Russian forces...

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3526913-eight-foreign-ships-enter-ukrainian-ports-to-take-out-grain.html

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #187 on: July 11, 2022, 07:47:21 PM »
Great news

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #188 on: July 28, 2022, 07:49:53 AM »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #191 on: August 12, 2022, 08:46:15 AM »
Orlando Figes explores the role of Russian history in the Ukranian war... about 9 minute read.

https://quillette.com/2022/08/12/the-roads-not-taken/