Author Topic: DCPS to relocate from Southbank  (Read 3322 times)

Charles Hunter

Re: DCPS to relocate from Southbank
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2021, 09:01:32 PM »
There might also be a few options in the Rail Yard District.  One is the old school property the school board already owns on Stockton and currently uses for maintenance I believe.  It would be close to the I-10 exit to Stockton and to Beaver Street giving it good access. It would only be about a mile from Downtown and centrally located.  Locating there would also give a neighborhood-in-need a big economic shot in the arm.
This is one of the parcels in the surplus bundle with the Southbank site. According to the Property Appraiser site, the Stockton parcel is 1.99 acres, and the existing one-story building has 11,738 heated square feet. Immediately adjacent to the 'surplus' parcel is a 20.28-acre parcel also owned by DCPS that houses the Landscape Maintenance Yard. There is still a lot of undeveloped space on the Landscape Yard parcel.  A building of 120,000 square feet could be built there. I wonder about the proximity of McCoys Creek and the prospect of flooding (although the upcoming McCoys Creek project is supposed to take care of that). 

Another spot might be the assorted parcels (looks like developers are already assembling them) lining I-95 on Myrtle Avenue and roughly across from JTA's bus barns.  This would be even closer to Downtown and have good access (and visibility) from I-95.
I think U-Haul or some personal goods storage company is assembling the parcels across from the JTA Bus Barn on Myrtle, and have committed to preserving some of the buildings. None of the buildings would be useful to DCPS and would need to be demolished to make room for a new office building.

One other spot in that area with substantial acreage is the old US Natural Resources complex between Beaver and Kings Road and across from the main US Post Office facility.  This recently sold to an investor that might be happy to flip it.  Again, good access from I-95 and within a mile from Downtown.

Together, the 11 former USNR parcels total around 9 acres, not counting the city streets that divide them.  Assembling smaller groups of parcels maintaining the east-west streets (State and Union Streets), but closing the north-south Blanche Street gives options ranging from 2.23 acres to 3.35 acres - plus whatever Blanche Street would add. I would imagine the environmental clean-up of most of these parcels could be quite extensive - and expensive.

I agree with Lake that it would be better for Downtown and the DCPS employees, to locate their new HQ in the Northbank Core. Better for the employees - not only the HQ employees but also District employees and the public needing to go there - by being located near restaurants and other amenities including transit.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2021, 10:24:09 PM »
^ Charles, thanks for the detailed response. Despite your concerns over this area, I think you also highlight much of its potential to meet the requirements of DCPS.

Addressing some of your concerns....

Re: Stockton Street, that location will not only benefit from the restoration of McCoy's Creek but will be along side the Emerald Trail offering a great amenity to employees wishing to take lunch time walks, runs or bike rides or just enjoy and outdoor picnic!  I also believe this property is elevated quite a bit over the creek flood plain as it currently exist.

Re: Myrtle Avenue, I was referring to the blocks north of the U-Haul and existing building structures.  These blocks have been mostly cleared of their shotgun houses and are thus vacant lots although a very few of the original shotgun houses remain.  Those owners would need to be compensated, of course, and the short street ends starting at Myrtle and dead ending at I-95 would need formal closure.

Re: US Natural Resources, I would imagine that funding could be found for any environmental cleanups, a la what Shad Khan is getting from the City for Lot J and/or the Shipyards/Metro Park properties or what JEA did for Rummel's District project.  Much of such costs would also be reflected in the sales price of the land.  If we ever want to move toward more infill in the urban core, this assistance, like grants for historic preservation, is a must.  Giving it to the School Board should be a lot more popular than giving it to Shad Khan or the District.

As the School Board's property is exempt from property taxes, it would be better on less valued land on the fringes of Downtown than in Downtown.  As stated before, it also provides a catalyst for developing a part of town that has been mostly overlooked before now.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2021, 10:51:10 PM »
JLT, thanks for your response, you make some interesting points.

Thanks for pointing me to the right area along Myrtle. If you're talking about the area between Adams and Duval (and closing Monroe), that looks like about 4.6 acres. It appears there are several homes on the north side of Duval Street, so it would have to stay open.  Isn't Adams the northern border of the U-Haul site?

I haven't been by the Stockton property, and I am not aware of the difference in grade.

The US Natural Resources property is adjacent to the "S"-Line segment of the Emerald Trail.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2021, 04:41:01 AM »
Part of the old USNR property is now leased to a new manufacturer.

http://www.thybar.com/thybars-new-jacksonville-plant/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

vicupstate

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2021, 09:56:21 AM »
Given all the vacant Northbank land the city owns, they really should sell the DCSB whatever acreage they need. Get three appraisals and go with the lowest, or at lest the average, given the need for DT to keep those employees.   

With all the First Baptist property available, that should be looked at too.

I doubt the DCSB would be interested in leasing though, so Stein Mart, etc. might not be a good option.   

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

jaxjags

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2021, 12:01:37 PM »
Wouldn't be surprised to see a custom built/leased building, not directly on the water, in Rivers Edge. Lots of statements such as we like where we are and want a central location, just not on the waterfront makes me think that could happen. Not sure about timing on vertical construction in Rivers Edge. Similar to what JEA is doing.

MusicMan

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2021, 12:05:11 PM »
"I believe they would be a better benefit if relocated to the Northbank. Get them closer, not further away. It should be easier to do this with a public entity than a private one."

That definitely makes sense. Given the fact  it makes sense and would contribute to CBD vibrancy, what are the odds it will happen?

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2021, 12:54:25 PM »
Here's a thought: The block on the Northbank bounded by Main, Church, Ocean, and Duval Streets. It's almost entirely surface parking, save for the "Volunteers in Medicine" building which seems to be for sale. Super central location, a block from City Hall (and therefore the JWJ Park Skyway station), also adjacent to the Main Street Pocket Park & Main Library, prime redevelopment opportunity.

If the new JEA building is any indication, a project scaled down to the 120k square feet they want should come in at around $50m, and if they skimp on the parking (because it's the Northbank, come on) it could be even less. That's reasonably within the "$12 million to $60 million cost range spread over 20 years".
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

jaxjaguar

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2021, 11:41:57 AM »
While Jax is struggling to figure out which workforce to move out of the core next, Miami is planning on building a new middle school downtown which includes 493 workforce apartments and 10 teacher apartments on the same property.... DCPS and DIA should be taking notes.

https://www.thenextmiami.com/brickell-world-school-miamis-first-ever-school-with-housing-for-teachers-built-in-set-to-break-ground/

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2021, 01:09:08 PM »

I doubt the DCSB would be interested in leasing though, so Stein Mart, etc. might not be a good option.

Looking through the DCPS ITN, it appears that they are open to leasing. It appears they want a similar product and outcome as JEA's new offices that are being developed and leased by Ryan Companies. If that's the case, the Northbank and Southbank are full of potential sites. Basically, every site that JEA did not pick could be potential locations for consideration.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxjaguar

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2021, 01:28:33 PM »
Any of these surface lots would do... great access to Central Station and would help cluster more businesses in the area.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2021, 01:36:29 PM »
I do think that a building adjacent to a Skyway Station would be really nice. You can have limited parking onsite (or none) which would make the building cheaper to build for sure.

jaxjaguar

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2021, 03:27:31 PM »
I wonder if they could convince FSCJ or UNF to go in on a construction project with them?

Charles Hunter

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2021, 04:15:17 PM »
The City should just 'take' the illegal lot on the site of the old Greyhound station as the penalty for building illegally.  Yes, I know the chances of that happening are similar to the Jags going to the Super Bowl this year.

If relying on Skyway for parking, they would have to get an agreement with JTA to run the Skyway on nights when there are School Board meetings.  [begin snark] With the super-duper autonomous vehicles, does it matter if they are near a station? "Where we're going, we don't need no stations." [end snark]

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2021, 05:53:42 PM »
Is the DCSB committed to the urban core?

If not, I am thinking the 190 acre "tech park" that UNF just took over might be a candidate for a suburban location.  Disadvantage is it is not centrally located within the county but I don't know how much that means to them.