Author Topic: DCPS to relocate from Southbank  (Read 3320 times)

Charles Hunter

Re: DCPS to relocate from Southbank
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2021, 02:41:40 PM »
I can't believe there are only 50 employees at DCPS HQ. Sadly, a quick look at their website is not very illuminating.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2021, 03:45:39 PM »
I agree that something needs to be done quick and that the nonprofit won't be able pull things off alone. However, I don't see them selling it to DCPS or DCPS wanting to spend millions to retrofit it as a space for 50 employees. They likely could build or less space cheaper right now considering our vacancy rates.
What are our vacancy rates downtown right now Lake? Pretty low and good? Yesterday evening at dusk, when the office lights were coming on, I noticed almost all of the floors were lit up on the tall office towers and the other lower height office buildings as well; does that mean pretty full?
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialagency.com; thank you!!!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2021, 05:51:35 PM »
According to a recent Jax Daily Record article:

Average Northbank Downtown vacancy rate: 10.9% to 27%

Average Southbank Downtown vacancy rate: 11.2% to 15.4%

Average suburban vacancy rate: 19.3% to 20.4%

Average asking lease rate per square foot: $21-$25

CBRE reports the office recovery continues to lag other property sectors in the third quarter as firms adjust lease sizes and terms, often opting for shorter leases.

CBRE reports CSX downsized by 128,000 square feet at 550 Water St. Downtown following Florida Blue’s downsize of more than 600,000 square feet last year Downtown and in Deerwood Park.

Don’t look for much Class A speculative office construction.

“We estimate that current construction costs for new class-A office space would require rent in the $40 range, which is well above current market,” Colliers wrote.

Colliers reports the average Class A asking lease rate was $22.27 a square foot during the quarter.

Full article: https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/commercial-development-outlook-office-vacancy-rates-climb-as-companies-downsize

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2021, 11:47:05 PM »
^ I had reason recently to canvas Liberty Business Park off of Butler Blvd. on  A C Skinner Parkway.  This is a "mature," very large (appears to be about 60 acres) and first class office park, located in a "hot" part of town, and is home to a number of major offices including the HQ's for Daily's.  Even so, it appears to me that about 25 to 35% of it was vacant.  Plus, they still have about 3 large parcels still undeveloped.  I was a bit surprised and wonder if COVID is the issue, there is just too much office space at this time or a bit of both.

If "in demand" suburban space like this isn't near full occupancy, I don't know how Downtown gets there.  Suburban landlords, with that kind of vacancy, are going to drag down Jax lease rates making it even harder for justifying more "higher rent" buildings Downtown.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 11:58:09 PM by jaxlongtimer »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2021, 08:16:31 AM »
Updated article from the Jax Daily Record. It appears that the new headquarters does not have to be downtown, which is a big mistake for Jax if that happens. If you can't keep your public entities downtown, what does that say about the desire to attract private offices?

Duval County Public Schools is searching for a buyer for its administration building on the Downtown Southbank and seeking bids to develop a new headquarters off the riverfront.

Real estate firm CBRE Inc. released an invitation to negotiate Nov. 30 on behalf of DCPS.

It solicits bids for the new headquarters and offers the sale of the office building at 1701 Prudential Drive along the St. Johns River as well as up to three surplus school properties, including the Schultz Center event venue.

New HQ list of requirements
This is what Duval County Public Schools is seeking for its new headquarters:
• Room for about 618 full-time employees, or 185-190 square feet per person.
• A total of 100,000 to 120,000 square feet of space.
• A 3,000- to 5,000-square-foot boardroom.
• A cafeteria.
• A visitor lobby and waiting area.
• Break rooms.
• Collaborative spaces.
• Conference rooms.
• Print and copy areas.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/duval-school-district-seeking-bids-for-a-new-headquarters-location
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

MusicMan

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2021, 11:07:21 AM »
Seems like moving into the Midtown Centre OP would be a no brainer:

"He said one option could be for a buyer/developer to acquire the Schultz Center and other DCPS assets at 4019 and 4037 Boulevard Center Drive in the Midtown Centre Office Park and lease them back to the district for a consolidated administrative campus."

Existing buildings in a central location. Plenty of parking. This would be a very efficient move.

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2021, 12:05:50 PM »
^Midtown Centre is perhaps easiest for the district, but maybe not the best for the city.

One place my head is at is that the office should be a TOD of some kind, get some inter-agency synergy going. So if we look in the walkshed of the Skyway or downtown Flyer stations, are there options? The old Stein Mart building sold a few months ago, is there space there?
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2021, 12:34:05 PM »
Horrible for downtown if it loses +600 public workers. That's equivalent to a major company picking up leaving for the burbs.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2021, 03:22:11 PM »
There might also be a few options in the Rail Yard District.  One is the old school property the school board already owns on Stockton and currently uses for maintenance I believe.  It would be close to the I-10 exit to Stockton and to Beaver Street giving it good access. It would only be about a mile from Downtown and centrally located.  Locating there would also give a neighborhood-in-need a big economic shot in the arm.

Another spot might be the assorted parcels (looks like developers are already assembling them) lining I-95 on Myrtle Avenue and roughly across from JTA's bus barns.  This would be even closer to Downtown and have good access (and visibility) from I-95.

One other spot in that area with substantial acreage is the old US Natural Resources complex between Beaver and Kings Road and across from the main US Post Office facility.  This recently sold to an investor that might be happy to flip it.  Again, good access from I-95 and within a mile from Downtown.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 04:45:51 PM by jaxlongtimer »

jaxjaguar

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2021, 04:26:10 PM »
Could Public School #4 be demoed and a new HQ be built on top? The building is beyond saving at this point and I think they already own the property? This would keep them near the core, allow them to build exactly what they want in a convenient location, revitalize a decrepit property in an upcoming area, and free up prime real estate for housing/hotel/etc.

MusicMan

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2021, 04:39:40 PM »
"Horrible for downtown if it loses +600 public workers. "

I hear what your saying Lake but do you really believe the 600 employees there were bringing any vibrancy to the CBD?  I imagine the vast majority bring their lunches in a cooler and drive straight home after work.

acme54321

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2021, 04:57:31 PM »

I hear what your saying Lake but do you really believe the 600 employees there were bringing any vibrancy to the CBD?  I imagine the vast majority bring their lunches in a cooler and drive straight home after work.

Youust have never gone to tidbits at lunch lol

MusicMan

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2021, 05:36:28 PM »
No... I have not.

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2021, 06:25:36 PM »
Would have bee ice if it was considered with the jEA building and stayed the 9 stories they originally planned on.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2021, 07:25:46 PM »

I worked next door for a year or two. They do eat at Southbank and San Marco businesses. We did and even took the Skyway to the Northbank sometimes.

I believe they would be a better benefit if relocated to the Northbank. Get them closer, not further away. It should be easier to do this with a public entity than a private one.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 07:27:49 PM by thelakelander »