Author Topic: Amtrak's Vision: Jacksonville/Orlando/Tampa  (Read 5204 times)

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
Re: Amtrak's Vision: Jacksonville/Orlando/Tampa
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2021, 08:21:11 AM »
Amtrak’s talking to FDOT now…

https://twitter.com/lmower3/status/1466430084169011201?s=21

Quote from: Lawrence Mower
Amtrak is in preliminary talks with the Florida DOT to "expand" services in Florida, @FDOT_Secretary told lawmakers yesterday.

FDOT doesn't know yet what Amtrak has in mind. It currently operates lines from Jax to Tampa/Orlando/Miami.

Amtrak is flush with money from the recent infrastructure bill, and has money to spend in Florida, Thibault said.

I wonder how we get some Jax people into those conversations.

Interestingly, a lot of the talk in the replies is about restoring the line Amtrak marked as “suspended,” from Jacksonville west towards New Orleans. I don’t think the state support is there for anything to come if it (would likely require FDOT acquiring the line, making substantial improvements, and adding signaling), but food for thought.

Of course here’s an article from just two weeks ago pointing out those very same challenges, as well as the potential cost (although I think for that price they’re essentially building it to top-notch standards as opposed to enough to start service):

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/473904-north-florida-officials-push-for-research-into-2-billion-rail-restoration/
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 08:27:47 AM by marcuscnelson »
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2021, 01:51:12 PM »
Amtrak’s talking to FDOT now…

https://twitter.com/lmower3/status/1466430084169011201?s=21

Amtrak is in preliminary talks with the Florida DOT to "expand" services in Florida, @FDOT_Secretary told lawmakers yesterday.

FDOT doesn't know yet what Amtrak has in mind. It currently operates lines from Jax to Tampa/Orlando/Miami.

Amtrak is flush with money from the recent infrastructure bill, and has money to spend in Florida, Thibault said.

I wonder how we get some Jax people into those conversations.

Good start! I was fearful politics between the governor and Biden would screw us over, like the high speed rail thing between Obama and Scott.

Jax entities like FDOT D2, COJ, NFTPO, JTA, etc. are aware but it may not be their priority at the moment. At some point there will have to be coordination and involvement. One of the best things to do right now is for public pressure being applied to them, so that this becomes a higher local priority.  That pressure should include moving the train station back downtown, getting a new stop or two in outlying counties and fighting for service times that align with local commuter peak times.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2021, 04:51:13 PM »
Good start! I was fearful politics between the governor and Biden would screw us over, like the high speed rail thing between Obama and Scott.

Obviously the talks are only preliminary right now, but here's to hoping.

Jax entities like FDOT D2, COJ, NFTPO, JTA, etc. are aware but it may not be their priority at the moment. At some point there will have to be coordination and involvement. One of the best things to do right now is for public pressure being applied to them, so that this becomes a higher local priority.  That pressure should include moving the train station back downtown, getting a new stop or two in outlying counties and fighting for service times that align with local commuter peak times.

There must be some way to get people interested in putting the pressure on, I'm not sure what the best way to get that message out there is.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey