Author Topic: Publix hinted as possible tenant at One Riverside in Brooklyn  (Read 1976 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Publix hinted as possible tenant at One Riverside in Brooklyn
« on: October 19, 2021, 09:39:54 AM »
A co-developer of the proposed One Riverside project raised the possibility Oct. 18 that Publix Super Markets Inc. might lease space at the Brooklyn apartment and retail project.

The comments came at a Downtown Development Review Board workshop.

Full article: https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/photo-gallery/publix-hinted-as-possible-tenant-at-one-riverside-in-brooklyn
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxjaguar

Re: Publix hinted as possible tenant at One Riverside in Brooklyn
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 12:18:14 PM »
I thought it was going to be a Greenwise Market? Would make more sense since I'm sure they want to push Fresh Market out / the size of the lot isn't really large enough for a full size store.

Side note... Just returned from Miami beach and every Publix we visited (including the one in Downtown Miami proper) is on stilts with parking below the store. They have elevators and these cool cart escalators to go up and down. Would love to see something like that replace the current Riverside store. It would greatly increase parking for 5 points / allow grocery shoppers more spots when there are events in the area.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 12:31:48 PM »
^That's also the plan for the East San Marco Publix. Parking below the store. Greenwise is more likely the potential anchor for One Riverside than a regular Publix. Publix just happens to own Greenwise, so when people around here hear Publix, they just think Publix. Sort of like people referring to a Walmart Neighborhood Market as Walmart, in the same sense they'd think about a traditional Walmart store.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

CityLife

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 01:52:49 PM »
I thought it was going to be a Greenwise Market? Would make more sense since I'm sure they want to push Fresh Market out / the size of the lot isn't really large enough for a full size store.

Side note... Just returned from Miami beach and every Publix we visited (including the one in Downtown Miami proper) is on stilts with parking below the store. They have elevators and these cool cart escalators to go up and down. Would love to see something like that replace the current Riverside store. It would greatly increase parking for 5 points / allow grocery shoppers more spots when there are events in the area.

I know it's semantics, but both Publix's in Miami Beach have the store on the ground floor and have parking on top. This arrangement is way better in walkable areas.

Jagsdrew

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 01:57:43 PM »
Would love to get more density out of the development. Modest 9-10 stories out of one or two of the buildings at least. The plans look aesthetically good but I think having such prime real estate like that, the DIA and other teams really need to push the developer to go bigger.

Additionally, there is still imo too much road/car accommodations in the development which need to lean more towards pedestrian and green space. Just feel like it's shaping up to be a lot of congestion in there.
Twitter: @Jagsdrew

landfall

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 04:24:30 PM »
The renderings and the pathway to the riverfront are a bit better than I anticipated.

If this is going to be Publix or some branch of it, be interesting to see then whats lined up for the Independent Life, the Trio, Berkman as well potentially and where else have I missed? Given Sprouts is already there too.

Retail wise otherwise, to be honest, I think people will hate me for saying it, but I wouldn't mind a Chick fil-a.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 04:55:26 PM »
^The apartments in general appear to be fine. With this project, the major challenge is un-suburbanizing the retail parcels at the entrance along Riverside Avenue. This is a case where the development should be more Tapestry Park and less Tinseltown.

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 06:01:37 PM »
What would the downside be for the developers to bump the grocery to the street and parking on the other side? Seems like an easy move to make this project quite a bit better

acme54321

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 06:52:53 PM »
Retail wise otherwise, to be honest, I think people will hate me for saying it, but I wouldn't mind a Chick fil-a.

A CFA in Brooklyn would slay.

jaxjaguar

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2021, 10:09:45 PM »
I know it's semantics, but both Publix's in Miami Beach have the store on the ground floor and have parking on top. This arrangement is way better in walkable areas.

No. Both of the ones we visited in Miami Beach are 100% on stilts with parking below. You take an escalator or elevator up to both. I would know... I was literally in them 2 days ago lol.
Publix Super Market at North Shore
Publix Super Market at Surfside

There are like 5 Publix on the island. 2 of the remaining 3 have parking above and 1 is a standard store with a surface lot.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 10:23:13 AM by jaxjaguar »

CityLife

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2021, 09:37:42 AM »
No. Both of the ones we visited in Miami Beach are 100% on stilts with parking below. You take an escalator or elevator up to both. I would know... I was literally in them 2 days ago lol.
Publix Super Market On the Bay
Publix Super Market at Surfside

There are like 5 Publix on the island. 2 of the remaining 3 have parking above and 1 is a standard store with a surface lot.

Sure you weren't intoxicated? ;) I was just at Publix on the Bay recently too and am looking at it right now on GoogleMaps streetview. You walk in to the store at grade, with parking above. The escalator takes you to your car on the 2nd and 3rd floor parking. Same thing with the Publix at 5th and Alton.  Really, not worth arguing about...just making the point that a ground level store is much better in walkable environments.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 09:45:09 AM by CityLife »

jaxjaguar

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2021, 10:27:17 AM »
Sure you weren't intoxicated? ;) I was just at Publix on the Bay recently too and am looking at it right now on GoogleMaps streetview. You walk in to the store at grade, with parking above. The escalator takes you to your car on the 2nd and 3rd floor parking. Same thing with the Publix at 5th and Alton.  Really, not worth arguing about...just making the point that a ground level store is much better in walkable environments.

I copied the wrong name. I meant Publix Super Market at Surfside & Publix Super Market at North Shore.

6876 Collins Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33141

9400 Harding Ave, Surfside, FL 33154

Normally I would agree about ground level, but with this location being so close to the river I think stilts make sense. it protects the store in the event of a storm surge and would allow them to reopen more quickly in a time of need.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 10:52:14 AM by jaxjaguar »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2021, 11:32:48 AM »
If this store had parking on the first floor, it would resolve a big part of the suburban site plan issues.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2021, 12:40:05 PM »
If this store had parking on the first floor, it would resolve a big part of the suburban site plan issues.

That significantly increases the project cost.  Moving the store up to the street and replacing the parking spaces along Leila Street and moving them to the back of the store (parking stall count remains unchanged), costs very little and can be done relatively easy.

The only thing between the developer doing this and not doing this is the DDRB, because the Code doesn't really require it... it only 'encourages' it with no real bonus/incentive for doing so (which is insane). 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2021, 12:47:33 PM »
^Definitely agree 100%.