Author Topic: Jax Zoo and REZOOVENATION  (Read 1956 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
Jax Zoo and REZOOVENATION
« on: October 18, 2021, 04:30:21 PM »
For those that haven't heard, this is a pretty awesome plan:

https://www.jacksonvillezoo.org/rezoovenation

Big Plan include the new Main Entrance and Manatee Entrance Exhibit, a new Lion Exhibit and Event Space, new Elephant Exhibit, and bringing Oragutans here.

The Bill is $50M, split by private donations and COJ.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Jax Zoo and REZOOVENATION
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 10:39:53 PM »
Does the Manatee Entrance Exhibit count as an aquarium for the aquarium people out there?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxjaguar

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 11:01:25 PM »
Does the Manatee Entrance Exhibit count as an aquarium for the aquarium people out there?

I don't think so. Aquariums generally refer to things that house fish or Cetacea. Is it an aquarium? Most definitely. Would the community call it an aquarium? Probably not. This would be more similar to the otter exhibit.

pierre

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 05:33:28 AM »
Really awesome plan. And the first 3 million comes from the Weavers.

Josh

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 09:05:36 AM »
I wonder what's going on with he other capital improvements they've been talking about over the last several years: a restaurant, new docks, a living shore where the current docks are, etc.

I'm assuming the manatees in this exhibit will be rescues/rehabs similar to the current manatee facility.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 10:00:56 AM »
The Manatee exhibit (as I understand it) will be a combination of rescues as well as some permanent there. Apparently, there are times where Manatees are rescued and are in okay health, but for one reason or another can't realistically go back into the wild.

Not sure about the riverfront situation as I have those same questions.

acme54321

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 12:04:58 PM »
The Manatee exhibit (as I understand it) will be a combination of rescues as well as some permanent there. Apparently, there are times where Manatees are rescued and are in okay health, but for one reason or another can't realistically go back into the wild.

Down in Homosassa at the wildlife park they have a resident manatee that got hit by a boat and lost a lung which affected its ability to control buoyancy and couldn't survive in the wild.  So I would expect that kind of thing.

I was wondering about the docks too. 

Captain Zissou

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 09:41:45 AM »

Down in Homosassa at the wildlife park they have a resident manatee that got hit by a boat and lost a lung which affected its ability to control buoyancy and couldn't survive in the wild.  So I would expect that kind of thing.

As part of a science organization I have swam with those manatees many times.  They are wonderful creatures and very gentle.  That said, you are correct that they cannot be released into the wild.  Jacksonville Zoo has rehabbed and released many manatees in the past.  I suspect the manatees will be either in the rehab process or unable to be released.  I'm so excited to see the new exhibit!!

DTWD_NW904

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 09:20:48 PM »
Wow, I really hope this goes through!

tufsu1

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 10:17:13 PM »

nope - the folks from AquaJax still want an aquarium in downtown

jaxjaguar

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 10:53:10 AM »

nope - the folks from AquaJax still want an aquarium in downtown

In that case they should work with MoSH to model after the Frost Museum of Science in Miami. AquaJax could pool resources with MoSH's new building project to make something really impressive that better fits the scale of Jax's downtown. We don't need a monstrously sized, stand alone, aquarium as long as it has some unique and impressive features / design.
They could expand upon the River ponds and aquariums that MoSH currently has by adding a more impressive ocean section. Between a few outdoor river and marsh features + some larger inddor ocean sections (larger than the current tanks) + 1 very large ocean tank it could be an impressive exhibition especially when combined with a science and history museum.

This would also provide a good opportunity to do the boat unification with the Jax Zoo that was discussed many moons ago.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2021, 05:39:49 PM »
^ It's been discussed previously in these forums that maybe the Zoo should run any aquarium project as taking care of animals of all kinds is already their specialty.  I don't see MOSH having that skill set so much.

Tying the river access between the aquarium and the Zoo would also make more sense in this situation.  One upgraded admission gets you the zoo, the boat ride and the aquarium.  For a bit more, they can make it a 2 day pass and include MOSH.