Author Topic: 4 recommendations to improve One Riverside Avenue plan  (Read 943 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
4 recommendations to improve One Riverside Avenue plan
« on: October 14, 2021, 08:14:19 AM »

Four minor recommendations from the Jaxson that will help enhance the redevelopment of the former Florida Times-Union site in Brooklyn.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/4-recommendations-to-improve-one-riverside-avenue-plan/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
Re: 4 recommendations to improve One Riverside Avenue plan
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 09:36:41 AM »
Well Done! Let’s hope the right people are reading!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 11:23:35 AM »
There will be someone at the DDRB meeting today to mention the need to consider a few of the items in the editorial.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Zac T

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 03:54:40 PM »
With heavy criticism, the DDRB approved conceptual site plan with only one member voting no.

It looked like the board was going to vote it down but the representative for the developer stated that denying conceptual approval would kill the project and the DDRB seemed to back down after that. The developer will have to come back at least 3 more times prior to receiving final approval and judging by the mood of the board, there's no way they get it without major changes to the site plan. The first architectural renderings should come on Monday

Charles Hunter

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 04:31:26 PM »
With heavy criticism, the DDRB approved conceptual site plan with only one member voting no.

It looked like the board was going to vote it down but the representative for the developer stated that denying conceptual approval would kill the project and the DDRB seemed to back down after that. The developer will have to come back at least 3 more times prior to receiving final approval and judging by the mood of the board, there's no way they get it without major changes to the site plan. The first architectural renderings should come on Monday

Is the "mood of the board" today strong enough to overcome the developer's threats to "kill the project" if things don't go the developer's way during subsequent presentations?

Did the developer or the board react to any of the Jaxson suggestions presented at the meeting?

Zac T

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 05:19:27 PM »

Is the "mood of the board" today strong enough to overcome the developer's threats to "kill the project" if things don't go the developer's way during subsequent presentations?

Did the developer or the board react to any of the Jaxson suggestions presented at the meeting?

I have yet to see the DDRB deny any projects since I've watched the meetings so I wouldn't hold my breath at this project getting denied. I will add that several board members are beginning to raise concerns at the growing number of cookie cutter projects that they've approved Downtown. I think a solution would be for them not to approve cookie cutter projects.

The board did mention the Jaxson article mostly positively but I'm not sure what the end result is going to be or if they take those suggestions to heart.

A funny comment from the developer was that this project should be looked at differently because "it's not technically located Downtown but in Brooklyn" and so it shouldn't have as high of standards when it comes to urban design requirements. That should've been an instant denial imo but the board set this dangerous precedent years ago approving projects like Brooklyn Station, the Gate gas station, and the Marriott hotel. Developers see what others have gotten away with and submit these projects knowing they don't have to try too hard.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 05:43:18 PM »
Just to be clear, The Jaxson's opinion is not to deny the project. 

We feel very strongly that there are very simple, impactful, cost-effective changes that need to be implemented. These changes won't impact the developer's proforma. 

Real estate development isn't Yes or No proposition.  There are always ways to meet the needs of both the developer and the community at large, that won't kill the financial viability of a development deal.    There's a whole lotta real estate between a rubber stamp and a NIMBY.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 05:55:45 PM »
...precedent years ago approving projects like Brooklyn Station..

That is actually the same developer. Brooklyn Station was a joint venture with Fuqua and Regency Centers.

Fuqua, when working for Sembler, also built the Riverside Publix. 

Both of those projects made simple changes to obtain approval... in both cases, the location of the retail outparcels changed and were moved closer to the street with outdoor seating areas added.

There is a path forward, that is neither painful nor costly. 

acme54321

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 08:08:23 PM »
It would be nice if the DDRB would finally call one of these developer's bluffs.  This is a great project to give that a shot.

Zac T

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2021, 09:17:39 AM »
It would be nice if the DDRB would finally call one of these developer's bluffs.  This is a great project to give that a shot.

I agree. It's tiring seeing developers hold the city hostage with poor designs on prime pieces of property

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2021, 09:54:32 AM »
I did get a chance to briefly listen to the DDRB meeting between meetings of my own yesterday. When the developer's attorney mentioned that not gaining conceptual approval yesterday would kill the project, it came off as straight BS but I also knew the DDRB wouldn't necessarily challenge that statement. The talk of the site being difficult and unique due to topography changes, easements, view corridors, etc. was also a bunch of BS to me as well. This is pretty common in most urban areas with any type of slight topography. Tallahassee is flat in comparison to many cities where similar developments are popping up across the country. They'd really freak out if they're calling the FTU unique and complex. With that said, I was glad to see that the approval came with conditions that will result in changes to make the plan better. As fieldafm mentioned, there are some minor modifications that can be made to better the site plan without blowing up the developer's proforma or eliminating the number of parking spaces (even the surface parking spaces), despite the gentle sloping topography between Riverside Avenue and the riverwalk.