Author Topic: Southgate Plaza to Apartments  (Read 1307 times)

acme54321

Southgate Plaza to Apartments
« on: October 08, 2021, 09:57:34 AM »
Looks like something might finally happen at the old Southgate Plaza.   Should be an improvement for the area.  The apartment complex across the street is a little rough though...

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/southgate-plaza-shopping-center-could-become-apartment-community
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 09:59:38 AM by acme54321 »

Captain Zissou

Re: Southgate Plaza to Apartments
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 10:21:56 AM »
I'd love to see some site plans, but I suspect this will look a lot like San Marco Promenade.  I would love some retail in the northwest corner.  The retail in this area has never reached critical mass, so locking up this whole property for residential use would be a real loss for the St Nicholas neighborhood.

acme54321

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 10:55:20 AM »
I'd love to see some site plans, but I suspect this will look a lot like San Marco Promenade.  I would love some retail in the northwest corner.  The retail in this area has never reached critical mass, so locking up this whole property for residential use would be a real loss for the St Nicholas neighborhood.

It would be nice if the buildings fronted Beach but you are probably right.  I don't know if I agree about the lack of retail being that much of an issue though.   

Charles Hunter

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 11:41:17 AM »
If this works, here is the site plan from the rezoning application.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 12:04:38 PM »
It would be better for the Beach Boulevard atmosphere and St. Nicholas Town Center if the ponds were flipped to the center or rear of the property. As presented, that's a lot of dead frontage space along the main drag.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Captain Zissou

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 12:27:18 PM »
They're seriously putting ponds on Beach?  What a horrible waste. Put them in the middle or in the back toward Atherton, landscape around them, and make it a park/amenity.  Put the buildings along Beach and Schumacher with retail or at least the tenant amenities at the corner.

acme54321

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 03:38:33 PM »
Those ponds out front are an interesting choice  ???

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2021, 07:37:35 PM »
I am wondering, where is the nearest grocery store to this area?  It looks like the future Publix in San Marco, the Walmart or Aldi on Philips Highway or Publix at Atlantic and University.  Going down Beach, it looks like the Walmart near Southside Blvd. is the first option.  That's about 4.5 miles in traffic.  Altogether, these options are a long way from a lot of houses in this area.  Hard to believe they can't support one well run grocery at this location.  Add the new apartment dwellers and its even more people looking for food...

I would think they could find a decent grocery tenant for a piece of the property facing Beach.  It might even justify building a parking lot over a retention pond.  Maybe that's why the put the ponds there... to have a future option to build retail over them later?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 07:41:13 PM by jaxlongtimer »

acme54321

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2021, 07:55:59 PM »
I am wondering, where is the nearest grocery store to this area?  It looks like the future Publix in San Marco, the Walmart or Aldi on Philips Highway or Publix at Atlantic and University.  Going down Beach, it looks like the Walmart near Southside Blvd. is the first option.  That's about 4.5 miles in traffic.  Altogether, these options are a long way from a lot of houses in this area.  Hard to believe they can't support one well run grocery at this location.  Add the new apartment dwellers and its even more people looking for food...

I would think they could find a decent grocery tenant for a piece of the property facing Beach.  It might even justify building a parking lot over a retention pond.  Maybe that's why the put the ponds there... to have a future option to build retail over them later?

The Arlington River Publix is like 5 mintues away and the San Marco Publix will be 5 minutes the other way.  There was previously a Save A Lot in this plaza that closed a few years ago.  It was pretty shitty though.

fsu813

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2021, 10:53:19 PM »
They're seriously putting ponds on Beach?

You've won the Name This Apartment Development contest!

"THE PONDS ON BEACH, LEASING FALL 2023".

DTWD_NW904

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2021, 09:28:07 PM »
Yeah Im not a big fan of the ponds being on Beach Blvd myself. However, anything will be an upgrade to what's currently there.