Author Topic: Jacksonville's multicultural history  (Read 472 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Jacksonville's multicultural history
« on: September 28, 2021, 07:21:34 AM »

A brief look at the multicultural history of Jacksonville from September 14th's Jacksonville History & Heritage Series virtual panel discussion.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/jacksonvilles-multicultural-history/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Adam White

• Facebook
Re: Jacksonville's multicultural history
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 11:06:47 AM »
Does Jacksonville still have the Greek/Grecian festival? I moved to Jax from Greece in 1979 and as a kid, it made me think Greek culture was something that you experienced everywhere you went. I didn't realise it was kind of a niche thing for Jax. And the World of Nations (or whatever it was called) used to be pretty amazing - they used to hold that in the coliseum as well and it was always pretty busy.

My mom was also involved with the Irish Cultural Association - I think there was a decent number of Irish people (as in 'from Ireland' not 'my great-great-grandfather was from Ireland) in Jacksonville at the time.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

tufsu1

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 03:25:34 PM »
^ as of a few years ago, yes. I attended in 2018 at the Morocco Shrine Auditorium. The local Greek Orthodox Church organizes the festival.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 04:32:18 PM »
Yes, they do - November 5 - 7, 2021
We are excited to announce our 2021 Jacksonville Greek Festival.
This year's festival will be held on November 5th-7th at our new campus on 12760 Beach Blvd. There will be food, fun, and a cultural experience for the entire family. We look forward to seeing you!

Delicious Homemade Greek food
    Live music and dancing
    Family friendly environment
    Amazing Cultural Experience
    Did We Mention Unbelievable Food and Desserts!

https://jaxgreekfest.com/

Captain Zissou

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 04:42:47 PM »
Is there any sort of graphical display or gantt chart depicting the timing of these cultural movements?  Super interesting article, but I'd love a visual aide.

The increase in more niche focused asian restaurants in the Beach Blvd & St Johns bluff area has been a delicious outgrowth of the concentration of asian immigrant residents in the area.  Mariana's grinds, Hot Pot, Paris Banh Mi, Q Cup,     

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 07:30:02 PM »
No graphic display but now that you mention it, it would not hurt to make one.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 10:21:25 PM »
One group not mentioned in the article is the arrival of European (e.g. Germany, Russia, Eastern Europe) Jews in the latter 1800's and beyond.  Jacksonville actually had a Jewish mayor in that period.  Many of Jacksonville's hotels, stores, restaurants, manufacturers and distributors in those days were initiated by this group.  This appears to mirror the referenced Arab population in that regard.  In fact, at one time, supposedly Jacksonville was the only city in the world that had equal numbers of Jews and Arabs. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 09:43:08 AM »
^As a part of the history and heritage series this year, we did a full virtual panel discussion on Jax's Jewish history. So this time around, we attempted to highlight several communities that we had not spent time mentioning. I believe I did a power point for that panel event as well. I'll try to dig it up and post it also.