Author Topic: Jacksonville's busiest streets in 2020  (Read 473 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Jacksonville's busiest streets in 2020
« on: September 22, 2021, 07:24:50 AM »

Jacksonville's busiest streets by Average Annual Daily Traffic (AADT) count in 2020 according to Florida Traffic Online.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/jacksonvilles-busiest-streets-in-2020/
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 10:40:54 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

Re: Jacksonville's busiest streets in 2020
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 10:47:40 AM »
Obviously excluding the Interstates. What about other limited-access facilities like JTB, SR 9B, MLK, First Coast Xway?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 11:24:09 AM »
Yes, excluding all limited access facilities. I need to mention that in the article. Thanks for the catch!
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 01:04:56 PM »
I am guessing that if you widened this up to include Clay County, Blanding would have the top 5 or more positions on this list.  I avoid Blanding south of 295 at all costs.  I don't think I could live and work in that area knowing I would spend half my lifetime in my car  8).  What also distinguishes Blanding to me is that the traffic is not only high in counts but that it hardly moves.  Some of the other areas with high counts have better capacity to move cars along.

Another good thing about many of these segments is, if you are familiar enough with the greater area, you can find "work arounds" to get where you are going.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 05:10:46 PM by jaxlongtimer »

ralpho37

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 03:14:34 PM »
It sure seems like a bunch of these roads are well over capacity and that there are no plans to address them. Baymeadows Rd. appears multiple times on this list. The stretch from Southside to I-95 and on to Phillips is only 4 lanes (2+2), has multiple bus stops and is always congested. Southside from JTB to Hogan is seemingly always backed up.

On a related note, the Southside ramp onto I-95 that appears on the list... I always wondered why it hasn't been expanded to allow for I-95 NB access and an exit ramp off of I-95 SB. Doing that would relieve some congestion off of Baymeadows.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 04:54:33 PM »

On a related note, the Southside ramp onto I-95 that appears on the list... I always wondered why it hasn't been expanded to allow for I-95 NB access and an exit ramp off of I-95 SB. Doing that would relieve some congestion off of Baymeadows.

A few reasons
1. Cost of purchasing and removing the existing businesses on the east side of I-95 to add ramps and retention ponds.
2. I believe the undeveloped land west of I-95 is undeveloped because it is conservation land. I remember a major development proposed for that area was stopped a decade or so ago.
3. Too close to the Baymeadows interchange, per FDOT standards. FDOT requires 2 miles, and it is only about a mile and a half. The Southside / Phillips distance is obviously too close, but they were built long before there were spacing standards.  To get approval to go "too close" they would have to build a collector-distributor system - like FDOT did between Blanding and Collins on I-295. The FDOT plan to add 2 (or is it 3?) lanes in each direction to I-95, will pretty much fill the right-of-way from fence-line to fence-line.

I haven't been down that way lately, so it may already be done. FDOT has plans to add a left turn lane on Southside Boulevard at those I-95 ramps so northbound traffic can get to the ramp to I-95 southbound.