Author Topic: Downtown Gyms  (Read 635 times)

landfall

Downtown Gyms
« on: September 19, 2021, 05:24:37 PM »
Are there any open Downtown currently? I know Anytime Fitness closed last year. I can't think of or see any on google, even nearby in places like Brooklyn.

JaGoaT

Re: Downtown Gyms
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 06:15:35 PM »
YMCA

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 06:30:10 PM »
Are there any open Downtown currently? I know Anytime Fitness closed last year. I can't think of or see any on google, even nearby in places like Brooklyn.

Anytime Fitness, the YMCA in the BofA Tower and True Fit (formerly within the Landing) have all closed.

The YMCA in Brooklyn and Pilates Club in Brooklyn are the only gyms currently operating in DIA's expanded 'Downtown' boundaries.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 01:54:14 PM »
The Boxing Yard in the union warehouse building was a great option pre-covid.  Not sure if they are still around.

fsu813

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 10:56:06 PM »
Is Jacksonville the only city of notable size without a gym or Starbucks in its (large) CBD?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 07:05:19 AM by fsu813 »

jaxjaguar

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 11:13:55 AM »
There used to be one on the 2nd floor of 100 N Laura and I believe the YMCA has a spot in the BoA building. The main Y building isn't in the CBD, but I would say it's probably one of the largest gyms that close to a downtown of our size. If the Skyway was extended to where the Riverside Arts Market is held it would be a lot more convenient for a lot more people.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 12:53:25 PM »
There used to be one on the 2nd floor of 100 N Laura and I believe the YMCA has a spot in the BoA building. The main Y building isn't in the CBD, but I would say it's probably one of the largest gyms that close to a downtown of our size. If the Skyway was extended to where the Riverside Arts Market is held it would be a lot more convenient for a lot more people.

Both of those have closed.

The new Y is nice. Its not necessarily out of the ordinary in terms of CBDs. In the last two weeks I've worked out at Life Time in DT Houston and the YMCA in DT Dallas... which are just as big as Brooklyn's YMCA (and in the case of Life Time, just as nice).

TrueFit at the Landing got decent business. Once the Mayor's office evicted him in favor of erecting Lenny's Lawn, the DIA offered him zero assistance on finding a new location within the CBD. He sold all of the equipment to a gym operator in another Florida city, and began working at a gym in Riverside. Without the overhead, he just does as well financially, and his loyal client base followed him.   A lost opportunity for Downtown by chasing off a successful business owner, who also just happens to be a minority business owner, that the Mayor's Chief Administrative Officer Brian Hughes called 'not viable'.   
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 01:00:32 PM by fieldafm »

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 01:05:20 PM »
Baptist has a rehab/wellenss gym on the banks of the river in their complex.  I believe at least at one time they were open to memberships of some sort.  Here is a link that may not be current showing membership options;

https://www.fscj.edu/hr/documents/wolfson-wellness-center.pdf