Author Topic: Short Term Solution to the Old Landing  (Read 2070 times)

vicupstate

Re: Short Term Solution to the Old Landing
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2021, 09:01:59 AM »
Rouse projects throughout the US have suffered simpler demise.

I seem to recall Lake saying the Landing is the ONLY Rouse project that has actually been demolished. All the others are either still retail oriented or have been repurposed.  The flaw in the Rouse model is that festival marketplaces only survive in areas with substantial tourism. The locals alone cannot support the concept, although Norfolk might be an exception at least in part. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2021, 09:30:28 AM »
Yes, the Rouse 1980s festival marketplace concept failed outside of markets with substantial tourism. Nevertheless, the buildings of the failed centers in the smaller markets have been adaptively reused for a number of uses, ranging from museums and food halls to urban college campuses. Only Jacksonville makes the mark of a city who evicted +30 tenants in favor or demolition for an empty lawn. In Norfolk, that festival marketplace failed too. However, it was renovated into a food hall.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 02:35:43 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

CityLife

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2021, 01:46:48 PM »
Yeah, it was an insane move to tear down a structure that had great bones and could have easily been repurposed into a food hall or something similar.  Even though I wasn't a fan of the teardown and advocated for repurposing the structure at the time, I still had faith the DIA and City could pull of the redevelopment. My bad for that faith and for giving Lakelander a hard time for being skeptical about their ability to pull it off. Prior to demo, the DIA should have sought joint architecture and landscape architectural designs of a repurposed Landing, with more green space/public amenities to at least see what was feasible.

I posted this awhile back, but I worked on a new and expensive project in Jupiter, where a billionaire developer (and his buddy Joe Namath) built a few restaurants on the water (right next to Square Grouper if you know Jupiter). The design of one of them is very similar to the outer, waterfront portion of the Old Landing. That outer portion of the Landing could have been saved and converted to twin restaurants/brewpubs/breweries and added onto. The ring portion and paved areas could have been removed and converted to a more park like/green environment similar to what was desired within the Landing park redesign RFP.

Here you have a developer paying tens of millions of dollars in one of Florida's best waterfront dining districts to essentially replicate a similar architectural form of The Landing.

Remove the interior and you have two great restaurant/entertainment spaces and an opportunity to add plenty of green space.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 01:51:31 PM by CityLife »

pierre

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2021, 01:59:56 PM »
It’s not shocking that it’s Jacksonville that did this. Torn down completely with no idea what to do with it. So now we’re stuck with Lenny’s Lawn for how many decades?

jaxoNOLE

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2021, 05:32:58 PM »
It’s not shocking that it’s Jacksonville that did this. Torn down completely with no idea what to do with it. So now we’re stuck with Lenny’s Lawn for how many decades?

Yep, $15 million to the owner to acquire a building so we can tear it down -- but $12 million in public money to the same owner who wanted to pump $50 - $70 million of his own money into the property 7 YEARS AGO was an irresponsible use of taxpayer money.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2021, 10:19:27 AM »
Yeah, it was an insane move to tear down a structure that had great bones and could have easily been repurposed into a food hall or something similar.  Even though I wasn't a fan of the teardown and advocated for repurposing the structure at the time, I still had faith the DIA and City could pull of the redevelopment. My bad for that faith and for giving Lakelander a hard time for being skeptical about their ability to pull it off. Prior to demo, the DIA should have sought joint architecture and landscape architectural designs of a repurposed Landing, with more green space/public amenities to at least see what was feasible.

No worries. Unfortunately I don't have much faith in the city's ability to pull off many of the initiatives being discussed. We're still repeating some mistakes of the past. Until we move away from the same old tired strategies, it's hard to see why outcomes will be any different than they have been in the past.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2021, 10:23:38 AM »

Yep, $15 million to the owner to acquire a building so we can tear it down -- but $12 million in public money to the same owner who wanted to pump $50 - $70 million of his own money into the property 7 YEARS AGO was an irresponsible use of taxpayer money.
Pretty crazy. That project and the Landing park are done by now and activated with life if that political decision was made in an opposite manor. One simple decision ends up being a decade of lost economic opportunity. My hope is that we learn from these mistakes.