Author Topic: Wait, is Lerp not actually happening?  (Read 2239 times)

fsu813

Re: Wait, is Lerp not actually happening?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2021, 07:00:42 AM »
How can the City find tens or hundreds of millions for Khan's self-interested projects or the doomed-to-fail U2C project and not something like this that would be iconic for the City and of use by most everyone living here?  I would suggest if the community wanted it that the City could find the dollars as it does for anything the Mayor wants.  It's all about priorities.

Also, was this decided based on votes by only two people?  I thought there were at least a couple of more involved.  Seems that a major decision like this would be in front of a decent sized committee representing a range of community perspectives.  It should also have followed a few community town halls with presentations by the bidders and a public Q & A.

I would also flip this around and ask what the heck Curry expects to get for the funds he budgeted.  How did he come up with his numbers?

It all seems so arbitrary, lacking transparency and the poorly executed.  Mimics Lot J in many ways.

It's very early in the process, people. The scope, design, costs, budget etc aren't firm, all subject to change.

I believe the only thing that was decided, was that Perkins & Will would be the lead firm working on the project, based on their vision concept design. Vision concept designs often change, sometimes substantially (see Daily's Place), so I'd expect changes once everything is firmed up.

For example, I highly doubt a natural shoreline will be installed where COJ *just finished* rebuilding the docks.

JPalmer

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2021, 08:07:41 AM »
I think they need to develop a series of regularly scheduled events, even if it’s monthly like Art Walk Wednesdays.  Just make use of the space.

jaxoNOLE

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2021, 10:32:49 AM »
It's very early in the process, people. The scope, design, costs, budget etc aren't firm, all subject to change.

I believe the only thing that was decided, was that Perkins & Will would be the lead firm working on the project, based on their vision concept design. Vision concept designs often change, sometimes substantially (see Daily's Place), so I'd expect changes once everything is firmed up.

For example, I highly doubt a natural shoreline will be installed where COJ *just finished* rebuilding the docks.

That's all fair; I think the concern (at least mine, as a layperson) is once again process-oriented. The DIA made such a big deal about and awarded so many points on the basis of the art installation. It was so important that it ultimately determined the winner and, as I said previously, their scores on other areas of the rubric would likely suffer without the art installation. The living shoreline, the design of the civic building (if it even gets built), precise budget, exact layout, details on the positioning/size/finish of the art piece -- all of that I reasonably expected to be up for debate. But selecting the designer because of the art piece, and then suggesting very early the art may not happen and isn't that important anyway, is just bad process: putting the cart before the horse because DIA wanted to demonstrate progress, before they knew what they really wanted. And it feels like we've once again burned an RFP bidder (Agency) who acted in good faith to hit the publicly-stated budget ballpark by awarding the contract to a competitor who was far more expensive entirely because of the art piece we are now so ambivalent about.

P/W has the capacity to design and deliver a very nice park, with or without the art. I'm not doomsaying on that front, but no art sends them backwards to fill that hole. With all of the hype and subsequent equivocating up to this point, I don't begrudge anyone drawing parallels to past mistakes. 

P.S. -- Credit where it's due to Heights Unknown--I think you were advocating for Agency from the beginning because you believed we would never commit to seeing the P/W vision through, no?

MusicMan

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2021, 11:27:43 AM »
" Maybe a "renderings graveyard" could be the uniquely Jacksonville art piece? Cute little headstones, one for each fizzled idea, and a large obelisk for Lot J? It'd be pretty meta to pay homage to all the dead Landing renderings at the site of the dead Landing."

"I think you may have hit on something there.

The only problem I see is that 7 acres (or whatever it is) might not be enough space."

Hysterical, and yet 100% spot on. I love it.

vicupstate

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2021, 12:45:07 PM »
Vision concept designs often change, sometimes substantially (see Daily's Place), so I'd expect changes once everything is firmed up.

Well, THAT's certainly not comforting.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

jaxjags

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2021, 01:21:01 PM »
So why do we pay consultants to enter a design contest, choose a winner that has a sculpture the is unique, then decide that city agencies will change the design. Again this sounds like Jax. Sure we shouldn't remove docks for a shoreline redesign and we need to keep the building pads, but we don't need to redesign! Again, if you want a world class park, you will have to pay for a world class park ( and more important MAINTAIN it).

JPalmer

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2021, 02:07:11 PM »
Vision concept designs often change, sometimes substantially (see Daily's Place), so I'd expect changes once everything is firmed up.

Well, THAT's certainly not comforting.

In this instance it kind of is...

Also, if we are going to spend $15mil on a sculpture, why not a gorgeous $15mil. rendition of Augusta Savage's "The Harp"?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2021, 02:41:31 PM »
The Harp is already funded and will be placed in a park in LaVilla near the Ritz Museum.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2021, 07:58:10 AM »
New chief resiliency officer: Park design at former Landing site ‘in flux’

During a bill-signing ceremony Sept. 23 with Mayor Lenny Curry finalizing her appointment, Coglianese told reporters she is giving input on Riverfront Plaza’s design to the Downtown Investment Authority and architectural firm Perkins & Wills Inc.

“The design is not final. It’s going to be changed,” Coglianese said.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/new-chief-resiliency-officer-park-design-at-former-landing-site-in-flux
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

pierre

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2021, 11:37:01 AM »
It’s going to be Lenny’s Lawn for a looooong time

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2021, 01:38:29 PM »
New chief resiliency officer: Park design at former Landing site ‘in flux’

During a bill-signing ceremony Sept. 23 with Mayor Lenny Curry finalizing her appointment, Coglianese told reporters she is giving input on Riverfront Plaza’s design to the Downtown Investment Authority and architectural firm Perkins & Wills Inc.

“The design is not final. It’s going to be changed,” Coglianese said.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/new-chief-resiliency-officer-park-design-at-former-landing-site-in-flux

You would think resiliency would be one of the factors, all along, in evaluating the proposals along the waterfront or on other City controlled properties.  Does this mean she is going to review again the entire development of the waterfront including Ford on Bay, the Shipyards, MOSH, the Four Seasons and Metro Park?  What about at the stadium with Lot J, the practice facility and other future improvements to that area?

Zac T

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2021, 03:13:30 PM »
At the NEFAR meeting today, Lori Boyer gave a 2-3 year development timeline for the Landing Park. She also mentioned that they would like an art design committee to decide whether to work with Jefre and his plans for the Jax sculpture or to move forward with another artist altogether

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2021, 03:44:54 PM »
At the NEFAR meeting today, Lori Boyer gave a 2-3 year development timeline for the Landing Park. She also mentioned that they would like an art design committee to decide whether to work with Jefre and his plans for the Jax sculpture or to move forward with another artist altogether

2-3 years? Hmm.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Charles Hunter

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2021, 03:48:08 PM »
She also mentioned that they would like an art design committee to decide whether to work with Jefre and his plans for the Jax sculpture or to move forward with another artist altogether

Wasn't Jefre's design a major factor in the DIA - and Boyer - selecting P&W?

Zac T

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2021, 04:01:38 PM »
She also mentioned that they would like an art design committee to decide whether to work with Jefre and his plans for the Jax sculpture or to move forward with another artist altogether

Wasn't Jefre's design a major factor in the DIA - and Boyer - selecting P&W?

One of the things she mentioned as a major factor in choosing Perkins & Will was the pedestrian ramp from the Main Street Bridge and how it shields 2 stories of parking on the private development pad and integrated into its design. She seems to be supportive of the sculpture but it looks like they want to toss the final decision to somebody else