Author Topic: Yard waste pickup  (Read 2231 times)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: Yard waste pickup
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2021, 01:47:55 PM »
Sooooo... sent Curry an email... no response. Called Curry office... left a message. No response. Called 630-city... no response. Called Waste Management and they deny all responsibility and direct me to 630-city and city officials. (I called 3 times... it was kinda fun in a torturous kinda way...) Called and e-mailed my city council representative and got this for both messages...

I have submitted your address for collection. The challenge we are experiencing with solid waste collection service has been the result of the inability for the City's Contract Haulers to hire and retain labor staff to perform the work.  As is being experienced with many types of businesses in the service industry during the pandemic, finding and retaining Equipment Operators/Drivers is extremely challenging and Solid Waste Collections service has been hit very hard with that challenge.

Given limited resources, we have prioritized our Solid Waste Collections.  The most critical waste stream is Garbage...this is our highest priority for collection as it can be of health & safety concern.  Although all waste collections are important, Yard Waste presents the least health & safety concerns and, consequently, experiences the most challenges with our collections effort.

I can tell you that the Solid Waste Division is, and has been, working extremely hard to assist our Contract Haulers and have supplemented Contract collection crews with City collection crews when possible.  We are also evaluating other opportunities to assist as we are focused on ensuring that all waste streams are appropriately managed.

I hope this information is helpful...please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Randy
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Charles Hunter

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2021, 02:22:16 PM »
Didn't one of our neighboring counties drop recycling pick up and retain yard waste collection?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2021, 02:26:30 PM »
I have begun throwing recycling in the trash. Tired of it.
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2021, 02:29:16 PM »
Yard waste too. You just have to put regular trash on top so they don’t see it until it’s dumped

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2021, 10:57:52 AM »
He should dump it at city hall

Snaketoz

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2021, 12:10:40 PM »
Yard waste too. You just have to put regular trash on top so they don’t see it until it’s dumped
Me too.  I had yard waste sitting for 5 weeks, killing my lawn.  Got tired of seeing it, put it in with the garbage.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2021, 12:49:20 PM »
^ I mulch and/or compost my yard waste, especially grass cuttings and leaves.  Try to do the same for small branches/limbs/moss.  In our climate, this stuff breaks down in days to weeks at most.

Taking it off property is just removing the nutrients from your yard.  Then, you go and buy fertilizer to replace them.  The ultimate recycling is leaving the nutrients in the yard to be reused by the surviving vegetation.  With my way, you save on collecting/bagging yard waste, taking it to the curb, having a truck haul it away, going out to buy fertilizer that a factory had to process and haul to your store and then you haul to your house, then take your time or pay someone to spread it back over your yard.  That, to me, is the ultimate "waste."

By the way, if you ever buy mulch from the big box stores, you will often see pieces of the plastic bags mixed in that someone used to collect the material that just went to a mulching facility to re-bag and sell back to you.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 01:11:39 PM by jaxlongtimer »

Snaketoz

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2021, 01:22:11 PM »
Most of my yard waste is twigs from huge oaks.  I can't believe how many fall each day.  They clogs my gutters, cover my deck, and back yard.  Love those trees though.

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2021, 01:27:51 PM »
Joe Biden to the rescue, I guess. $4 million in American Rescue Plan funds are proposed as a solution to the… yard waste crisis.

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news/local/2021/09/21/jacksonville-might-use-federal-recovery-money-waste-collection-fix/5797794001/
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2021, 02:39:09 PM »
It isn't just yard waste. Recycle bin has not been emptied in over a month...  All my glass, plastics, metal, cans bottles, cardboard boxes are going into regular trash. The recycle bins line the street like frozen robots... overflowing. I purchased another trash can as I am now putting out 3 cans instead of my normal one.  The entire neighborhood is the same...

pierre

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2021, 02:46:07 PM »
It isn't just yard waste. Recycle bin has not been emptied in over a month...  All my glass, plastics, metal, cans bottles, cardboard boxes are going into regular trash. The recycle bins line the street like frozen robots... overflowing. I purchased another trash can as I am now putting out 3 cans instead of my normal one.  The entire neighborhood is the same...

It’s been two weeks again on yard waste. And the bulk waste hasn’t been picked up in at least a month. Our street is lined with piles of garbage.

pierre

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2021, 02:46:41 PM »
Joe Biden to the rescue, I guess. $4 million in American Rescue Plan funds are proposed as a solution to the… yard waste crisis.

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news/local/2021/09/21/jacksonville-might-use-federal-recovery-money-waste-collection-fix/5797794001/

And which DeSantis/Curry donor is going to benefit from it?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 04:31:53 PM by pierre »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2021, 03:10:40 PM »
This is a Curry and city council issue

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2021, 09:11:08 AM »
https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2021/09/22/city-of-jacksonville-considering-using-4m-of-federal-relief-money-for-waste-pickup/

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The city of Jacksonville is considering using $4 million in federal COVID-19 relief money – to address a growing problem.

Yard waste is piling up in neighborhoods across the River City for months and neighbors say they’re fed up.

The city says it’s looking into several solutions but an exact plan hasn’t been released yet.

The I-TEAM found the city received more than 9,000 complaints about yard waste pickup delays in August. That’s nearly 700 more than the month before, adding up to more than 35,000 total since April.

The city says three problems are coming into play here.

The city didn’t renew its contract with Republic Services.
Starting next month, Meridian Waste will take over its routes.
A worker shortage is also an ongoing problem.
The city is asking people to report problems they’re having with yard waste pickup. Here’s three ways to report the problem.

MyJax app
Myjax.custhelp.com
Call 904-630-CITY (2489).
The city did mention that, for the time being, some workers are working seven days a week to help fill in the gaps.

Once again, if you have an issue with yard waste, the best thing to do for now is report it.

Read the comments...lol