Author Topic: The rise and fall of San Marco's Oriental Gardens  (Read 713 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
The rise and fall of San Marco's Oriental Gardens
« on: July 30, 2021, 09:42:19 AM »

Situated just south of San Marco's Craig Creek, Oriental Gardens was a tourist attraction that charmed Jacksonville visitors for nearly two decades.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/the-rise-and-fall-of-san-marcos-oriental-gardens/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Wacca Pilatka

Re: The rise and fall of San Marco's Oriental Gardens
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 10:22:53 AM »
Is the developer the same George Clark whose very fine Klutho-designed prairie house on Riverside was demolished in the 70s?
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 05:38:14 PM »
Just another example over the decades of Jacksonville not appreciating what makes the area special to lose something like this.  Add it to the movie industry we once had, the loss of historic buildings, the rampant urban sprawl replacing beautiful natural lands surrounding the City or the lack of appreciation for properly caring for our river.

ben says

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 09:18:22 AM »
Spent the first 30 years of my life here; born and raised. Remember growing up to stories re: what Oriental Gardens "used to be"...

Despite the 2-3 McMansions that have popped up on the street recently, it'll always maintain some of that "old school JAX" charm to me :)
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

MusicMan

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 09:48:13 AM »
" the rampant urban sprawl replacing beautiful natural lands "

Have you seen the Everglades recently..?

JPalmer

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 03:08:54 PM »
This is pretty cool, but I do think flooding is pretty bad down there now.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 11:35:18 PM »
" the rampant urban sprawl replacing beautiful natural lands "

Have you seen the Everglades recently..?

With respect to this comment, I would say much of Florida's natural beauty has been raped by rampant development.  As a native Floridian, it is sad to see so much that has disappeared.  We mostly live in a "manufactured" setting today.  In fairness, I am not so sure Florida is the only place to experience this but I do think the State has suffered much more than many others.

MusicMan

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 10:55:12 AM »
Walked my dog on Oriental Gardens yesterday. I know in the past they had drainage issues but I saw no evidence of any problems ongoing.
It's a nice street. There remains a "concrete" creek which is a remnant of what was there decades ago.