Author Topic: Downtown Cover-Up!  (Read 2223 times)

Ken_FSU

Re: Downtown Cover-Up!
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2021, 11:35:37 AM »
The media probably didn't report on this because at the end of the day, it's not all that newsworthy. No one was injured, no one died, thankfully. Some joyriding and vandalism isn't much of a story these days. Imagine if we put out an article every time some graffiti went up somewhere. Or what, that a bunch of teens were downtown at once? In denser cities this is almost certainly common. Not to mention that it's July, while school's out and the days are sunny. To call this a cover-up is a bit sensational.

^This guy gets it.

"Idiot(s) inconvenience property owners; business proceeds as normal" ain't much of a headline.

Particularly during a global pandemic when our hospitals are stressed to the point of breakage.

During the first two weekends of July, a mob of teenagers occupied Johnson (Hemming) Park late on Saturday nights.  On the first Saturday, they went wild on the scooters, then painted graffiti on the Dalton Building, before shooting out the building's windows. On the Second Saturday, they did the same, but shot up City Hall.  Photos attached and also a video of the graffiti artists carrying a ladder.

This timeline is factually incorrect.

The graffiti goons were not part of some wild Hemming Park scooter mob that tagged the building before shooting the windows out. If you look at your own photos of the graffiti cleanup, the windows are still intact, and if you watch your own video, there's not a scooter to be seen. The two incidents happened a week apart and were not nearly as sensational/anti-youth/anti-scooter as you may hope.

From my understanding - I've been out of town a lot over the last couple of weeks, so I might be wrong - the damage to the two buildings' windows came on the same night (not on consecutive Saturdays), likely from the same idiot.

Like with most major urban areas, vandalism is fairly common in Downtown Jax (Wells Fargo, Suntrust Tower, and a few other buildings have caught some bullets or bricks in recent years and there's graffiti all over the urban core). It's not a great look for the city and bad for downtown business that things like this to happen on City Hall's front doorstep, but with covid-19 and genuine violence plaguing the city, some spray paint and a few broken windows from some high school dropout or tweaked-out goon ain't particularly noteworthy. Glad no one was hurt, and I've got faith that we'll see heavier, more active policing moving forward.

sandyshoes

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2021, 09:29:59 AM »
Doesn't the man on the ladder with the bucket appear to be 'covering up' the graffiti with primer, or something of the like?  Look closer. 

fsu813

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2021, 07:42:38 AM »
Another shooting in JWJ Park last night. Unclear if the damage to City Hall mentioned is new, or from the previous shots documented in this thread.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2021/08/01/multiple-shootings-overnight-in-jacksonville-leaves-one-dead/

Ken_FSU

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2021, 09:34:57 AM »
Glad no one was hurt, and I've got faith that we'll see heavier, more active policing moving forward.

Nailed it!

City’s gotta get JWJ under control after hours.

Especially with Marriott potentially moving in down the street. 

MusicMan

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2021, 09:59:27 AM »
Weren't two kids shot in JWJ Park over the weekend?  And bullets hit City Hall? Saw that somewhere....

fsu813

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2021, 11:01:33 AM »
Assistant Chief Pendley addressed this issue at the Urban Core CPAC last night. They're increasing their presence around the park at night.

MusicMan

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2021, 11:04:02 AM »
Just found it on News4Jax, and it seems like this is one very violent city.  Several shootings resulting in dead people over the weekend. Including a lady in Riverside who was calling in a car break in.......

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2021/08/03/jso-woman-killed-outside-of-home-in-riverside-while-confronting-car-burglar/

WAJAS

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2021, 11:47:57 PM »
It seems they have stepped up their security at the park. The place is full of red and blue lights. I spotted at least 6 police cars, but nothing seemed to be actively occuring.

acme54321

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2021, 07:39:00 AM »
LOL, High and right I guess.