Author Topic: The story of Jacksonville's Filipino community  (Read 560 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
The story of Jacksonville's Filipino community
« on: July 26, 2021, 08:31:06 AM »

Jacksonville is home to the biggest Filipino population in Florida, with more than 25,000 residents of Filipino descent in the 2010 Census. Join The Jaxson for a brief history of Jacksonville’s Filipino community from the 1940s to today.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/the-story-of-jacksonvilles-filipino-community/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Zac T

Re: The story of Jacksonville's Filipino community
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 11:55:55 AM »
Really great article!

sandyshoes

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 03:23:18 PM »
Very nice change of pace article.  More please?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 06:34:34 PM »
It was a very good article! Stay tuned!
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 08:59:45 PM »
Really loved it.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 06:28:11 AM »
What an outstanding path to citizenship... it's really too bad the program ended...

Jacksonville began in the 1940s as a result of heavy enlistment of Filipinos in the U.S. Navy during World War II. At the time, the U.S. Navy offered Filipinos a path to American citizenship
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Fallen Buckeye

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 09:46:35 AM »
Thanks for this article! It's really cool to learn more about the history of my people in Jax. My Dad would have been part of that fourth wave of Filipino immigrants in the 60 and 70's on the west coast that came to California. Unfortunately, I mostly grew up in a place where there were almost no Filipinos, and my Dad died when I was young. So I ended up not being very in touch with that side of my heritage.

I happened to move to Jax almost by accident, and one of the greatest surprises for me was that Jax has such a vibrant Filipino community. Since moving here, I've been able to catch up on a lot of the experiences I missed as a child. It's been a real blessing.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 09:49:17 AM »
Thanks for this article! It's really cool to learn more about the history of my people in Jax. My Dad would have been part of that fourth wave of Filipino immigrants in the 60 and 70's on the west coast that came to California. Unfortunately, I mostly grew up in a place where there were almost no Filipinos, and my Dad died when I was young. So I ended up not being very in touch with that side of my heritage.

I happened to move to Jax almost by accident, and one of the greatest surprises for me was that Jax has such a vibrant Filipino community. Since moving here, I've been able to catch up on a lot of the experiences I missed as a child. It's been a real blessing.

What a great story! Thank you for sharing.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?