Author Topic: COVID Again Rampant in Jax  (Read 27588 times)

Ken_FSU

Re: COVID Again Rampant in Jax
« Reply #150 on: July 29, 2021, 02:49:14 PM »
Baptist hospitals reach maximum capacity as COVID cases surge in Jacksonville

A surge in COVID-19 related cases in Jacksonville and beyond has created what Baptist is calling a 'critical' situation.

On Thursday, the hospital tweeted that hospitals are at maximum capacity and our emergency centers have reached a critical point.

"We are asking the community to please do what they can to help," said Baptist in the tweet. "... We are caring for patients with critical emergencies first."

Baptist says if you are experiencing symptoms related to heart attack, stroke, or severe respiratory issues, call 911 or get to an ER ASAP. You will be seen right away.

However, if you are experiencing a non-life-threatening health issue, Baptist says you should contact your Primary Care physician's office, or seek urgent care in person or online via telehealth.

Baptist's Head of Emergency Room Operations tells First Coast News that every “nook and cranny” of the hospitals are being utilized, which includes break rooms, conference rooms and more.

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news/coronavirus/2021/07/29/baptist-health-hospitals-jacksonville-reach-capacity-covid-surge/5419140001/

You have got to be an unfathomably selfish human being to see an article like this, refuse a vaccine, and still galavant around the city unmasked.

Like a total garbage human.

jaxoNOLE

« Reply #151 on: July 29, 2021, 05:12:04 PM »
Before anyone tries to spin it as fake news, Baptist clarified the above article to indicate they are NOT at capacity, but are very busy and ER visitors may experience extended wait times. Although the distinction may be moot in a few days if we continue at this rate.

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/breaking-baptist-hospitals-reach-maximum-capacity-as-covid-cases-surge-in-jacksonville/77-4b45250e-c222-4aa7-9041-e688807d56e9

Baptist is apologizing after it erroneously published on social media that hospitals and emergency rooms were at maximum capacity due to the surge in COVID-19 cases here on the First Coast.

The original post on social media about being at maximum capacity was deleted by Baptist.

Hospitals and emergency centers have reached a critical point, however, are not at maximum capacity, a representative for Baptist later clarified on Thursday.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #152 on: July 29, 2021, 05:30:10 PM »
Thanks for clarifying!!
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #153 on: July 30, 2021, 02:09:26 AM »

A surge in COVID-19 related cases in Jacksonville and beyond has created what Baptist is calling a 'critical' situation.

On Thursday, the hospital tweeted that hospitals are at maximum capacity and our emergency centers have reached a critical point.

"We are asking the community to please do what they can to help," said Baptist in the tweet. "... We are caring for patients with critical emergencies first."

Baptist says if you are experiencing symptoms related to heart attack, stroke, or severe respiratory issues, call 911 or get to an ER ASAP. You will be seen right away.

However, if you are experiencing a non-life-threatening health issue, Baptist says you should contact your Primary Care physician's office, or seek urgent care in person or online via telehealth.

Baptist's Head of Emergency Room Operations tells First Coast News that every “nook and cranny” of the hospitals are being utilized, which includes break rooms, conference rooms and more.

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news/coronavirus/2021/07/29/baptist-health-hospitals-jacksonville-reach-capacity-covid-surge/5419140001/

You have got to be an unfathomably selfish human being to see an article like this, refuse a vaccine, and still galavant around the city unmasked.

To be fair, you shouldn't be 'galavanting' around the city, masked or unmasked at this point. People need to get vaccinated, stay home/avoid contact with other people as much as possible and wear a mask when they have no choice but to go out.

“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #154 on: July 30, 2021, 06:36:24 AM »
Long lines and wait times for Covid tests... but... no line or wait for vaccines... just freeking unreal...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

fsu813

« Reply #155 on: July 30, 2021, 07:47:34 AM »
Before anyone tries to spin it as fake news, Baptist clarified the above article to indicate they are NOT at capacity, but are very busy and ER visitors may experience extended wait times. Although the distinction may be moot in a few days if we continue at this rate.

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/breaking-baptist-hospitals-reach-maximum-capacity-as-covid-cases-surge-in-jacksonville/77-4b45250e-c222-4aa7-9041-e688807d56e9

Baptist is apologizing after it erroneously published on social media that hospitals and emergency rooms were at maximum capacity due to the surge in COVID-19 cases here on the First Coast.

The original post on social media about being at maximum capacity was deleted by Baptist.

Hospitals and emergency centers have reached a critical point, however, are not at maximum capacity, a representative for Baptist later clarified on Thursday.

They are/were at maximum capacity, actually.

They've had to repurpose rooms and areas to fit patients in where they otherwise would never be. Sure, they could continue to do that until the hallways are full too, I guess. "Maximum capacity" infers panic, and that people shouldn't come there even in an accute emergency. That's why the wording was changed.

jaxoNOLE

« Reply #156 on: July 30, 2021, 09:13:25 AM »
Long lines and wait times for Covid tests... but... no line or wait for vaccines... just freeking unreal...

The real deniers won't even get tested. I personally know a handful of people who are convinced they had COVID early on but refused to get tested to confirm because they didn't want the gubmint to know. So they choose to assume they're safe since they had it, even though they dont truly know if they had it. I'm not sure how you can claim immunity from a disease you once believed to be fake, but what do I know?

WarDamJagFan

« Reply #157 on: July 30, 2021, 10:23:12 AM »
I wish you luck because luck will be required as your current health condition is no protection against an airborne virus... additionally... death isn't the only long term outcome after infection. Your unvaccinated status can make you an asymptomatic carrier and one who causes viral mutations...

Society thanks you...

Vaccinating everyone regardless of risk creates the risk for mutations and at that mutations that the vaccinations do not work on. 

It is roughly akin to everyone running around taking antibiotics.   

Nature's a bitch.  She's got her ways.

I asked you before to knock it off with the vaccine denialism. Not going to do it again.

The concept of mass vaccination potentially creating mutations is not denialism nor disinformation.  "Vaccination alone won't stop the rise of new variants and in fact could push the evolution of strains that evade their protection, researchers warned Friday.....By having a situation where you vaccinate everybody, a vaccine-resistant mutant actually gains a selective advantage.
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/30/health/vaccination-alone-variants-study/index.html?utm_source=twCNN&utm_term=link&utm_medium=social&utm_content=2021-07-30T13%3A00%3A11

"

Ken_FSU

« Reply #158 on: July 30, 2021, 10:29:43 AM »

To be fair, you shouldn't be 'galavanting' around the city, masked or unmasked at this point. People need to get vaccinated, stay home/avoid contact with other people as much as possible and wear a mask when they have no choice but to go out.

While I do think we should temporarily reinstate a mask mandate until the situation improves, I disagree with the assertion that the vaccinated should be locking themselves down again and avoiding human contact.

The vaccinated aren't the ones pushing the health system to its limits.

Depending on the hospital, somewhere between 95% and 99% of hospitalizations are amongst the unvaccinated.

The complicating factor is obviously the new data that has emerged showing that vaccinated folks can carry similar viral loads to the infected, potentially asymptomatically spreading the Delta variant to the unvaccinated. But to me, in the same way that it's totally unfair for hospital workers to have to deal with these unvaccinated morons, it's also unreasonable to expect the 50% of Jacksonville's population that has done the responsible thing and gotten vaccinated to put their lives (and potentially businesses) on hold again so said idiots who think the vaccine is going to TuRn TheM gAy don't clog the emergency rooms. If the vaccinated chose to lock down for the good of the medical community, good for them. But it shouldn't be expected.

Probably sounds insensitive, and is totally unenforceable (particularly in Florida), but I'd love to see the hospitals provide a deadline and say, "After XXX date, we will not be accepting unvaccinated covid-19 patients without a documented medical reason for abstaining." Save the beds and the medical resources for those not eligible for vaccination, those with breakthrough cases, and other medical emergencies. Similarly, would love to see businesses, hotels, restaurants, theaters, colleges, sporting events etc. be given the authority to turn away the unvaccinated. Would also love to see a 30-day lockdown ordered for unvaccinated adults.

I don't think the government should have the right forcibly inject anyone, but I also don't think you should be able to have your cake (refuse vaccination) and enjoy it too (enjoy the benefits of a re-opened society and take hospital beds away from others while the pandemic still rages on). These are the people causing all of the undue suffering in the city, and they deserve to have that hardship turned back on them. Actions (and inactions) have consequences, and if you die for not getting vaccinated, that's on you for refusing protection against a widespread deadly disease, not one me for posting up at Starbucks to work with asymptomatic virus in my system.

My opinion changes in a second though if we start to see the virus taking a heavy toll on the immunized or on those ineligible for vaccination.

We live in this amazing time with so much privilege. A deadly pandemic breaks out and shuts down society, and within one year, three different medical teams develop, test, and get approval for a miracle vaccine that will stop covid dead in its tracks. And we live in a city (and a country) where it's readily available, for free, on literally almost every street corner. And all people needed to do was get vaccinated.

One job, Jacksonville.

One job.

jaxoNOLE

« Reply #159 on: July 30, 2021, 10:36:01 AM »
I wish you luck because luck will be required as your current health condition is no protection against an airborne virus... additionally... death isn't the only long term outcome after infection. Your unvaccinated status can make you an asymptomatic carrier and one who causes viral mutations...

Society thanks you...

Vaccinating everyone regardless of risk creates the risk for mutations and at that mutations that the vaccinations do not work on. 

I asked you before to knock it off with the vaccine denialism. Not going to do it again.

The concept of mass vaccination potentially creating mutations is not denialism nor disinformation.  "Vaccination alone won't stop the rise of new variants and in fact could push the evolution of strains that evade their protection, researchers warned Friday.....By having a situation where you vaccinate everybody, a vaccine-resistant mutant actually gains a selective advantage.
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/30/health/vaccination-alone-variants-study/index.html?utm_source=twCNN&utm_term=link&utm_medium=social&utm_content=2021-07-30T13%3A00%3A11

"

It's misleading. Viruses mutate. Vaccines do not "cause" mutation. At worst, the presence of a vaccine may lead to mutations that have adapted to evade that vaccine--but using that as justification that vaccines are bad is akin to saying we should take all of our cops off the street because bad guys are figuring out how to avoid them.

You left off the main point from that article (emphasis mine):

They said people need to wear masks and take other steps to prevent spread until almost everyone in a population has been vaccinated.

The danger is in partial vaccination. Total vaccination snuffs out the opportunity for mutations because the virus has too few hosts to propagate successfully. It's not about getting sick, or whether you personally live or die--it's about creating a universally inhospitable environment for the virus to live in.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 10:43:12 AM by jaxoNOLE »

WarDamJagFan

« Reply #160 on: July 30, 2021, 11:01:59 AM »

While I do think we should temporarily reinstate a mask mandate until the situation improves, I disagree with the assertion that the vaccinated should be locking themselves down again and avoiding human contact.

Depending on the hospital, somewhere between 95% and 99% of hospitalizations are amongst the unvaccinated.

The complicating factor is obviously the new data that has emerged showing that vaccinated folks can carry similar viral loads to the infected, potentially asymptomatically spreading the Delta variant to the unvaccinated. But to me, in the same way that it's totally unfair for hospital workers to have to deal with these unvaccinated morons, it's also unreasonable to expect the 50% of Jacksonville's population that has done the responsible thing and gotten vaccinated to put their lives (and potentially businesses) on hold again so said idiots who think the vaccine is going to TuRn TheM gAy don't clog the emergency rooms. If the vaccinated chose to lock down for the good of the medical community, good for them. But it shouldn't be expected.

Probably sounds insensitive, and is totally unenforceable (particularly in Florida), but I'd love to see the hospitals provide a deadline and say, "After XXX date, we will not be accepting unvaccinated covid-19 patients without a documented medical reason for abstaining." Save the beds and the medical resources for those not eligible for vaccination, those with breakthrough cases, and other medical emergencies. Similarly, would love to see businesses, hotels, restaurants, theaters, colleges, sporting events etc. be given the authority to turn away the unvaccinated. Would also love to see a 30-day lockdown ordered for unvaccinated adults.

I don't think the government should have the right forcibly inject anyone, but I also don't think you should be able to have your cake (refuse vaccination) and enjoy it too (enjoy the benefits of a re-opened society and take hospital beds away from others while the pandemic still rages on). These are the people causing all of the undue suffering in the city, and they deserve to have that hardship turned back on them. Actions (and inactions) have consequences, and if you die for not getting vaccinated, that's on you for refusing protection against a widespread deadly disease, not one me for posting up at Starbucks to work with asymptomatic virus in my system.

My opinion changes in a second though if we start to see the virus taking a heavy toll on the immunized or on those ineligible for vaccination.

We live in this amazing time with so much privilege. A deadly pandemic breaks out and shuts down society, and within one year, three different medical teams develop, test, and get approval for a miracle vaccine that will stop covid dead in its tracks. And we live in a city (and a country) where it's readily available, for free, on literally almost every street corner. And all people needed to do was get vaccinated.

One job, Jacksonville.

One job.

With that proposal in mind, should hospitals also deny care for those who don't have health insurance? Hospitals know they most likely won't receive payment on a $50K+ medical bill from someone who is uninsured. Should hospitals also deny care to those who chain smoke cigarettes or eat 8 McDonalds Happy Meals a day? It's the same concept as denying helping someone who's unvaxxed. In all honesty, I don't believe that's a road you want hospitals to go down.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #161 on: July 30, 2021, 11:20:10 AM »

Society thanks you...

"

It's misleading. Viruses mutate. Vaccines do not "cause" mutation. At worst, the presence of a vaccine may lead to mutations that have adapted to evade that vaccine--but using that as justification that vaccines are bad is akin to saying we should take all of our cops off the street because bad guys are figuring out how to avoid them.

You left off the main point from that article (emphasis mine):

They said people need to wear masks and take other steps to prevent spread until almost everyone in a population has been vaccinated.

The danger is in partial vaccination. Total vaccination snuffs out the opportunity for mutations because the virus has too few hosts to propagate successfully. It's not about getting sick, or whether you personally live or die--it's about creating a universally inhospitable environment for the virus to live in.

^This is what I've gathered from doctors and friends who are experts in this. The polio vaccine basically eradicated polio as a major public health crisis. It continued to mutate, but so many people got the shot that it had too few places to spread to do it. The situation we have here is that COVID has *plenty* of places to spread and continue to mutate. We need to get everyone vaccinated.

And again, this is not a place for anti-vax debate. I don't want to have to start removing posts but I will.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

WarDamJagFan

« Reply #162 on: July 30, 2021, 11:30:43 AM »
As I've said before I'm not anti-vaxx. I do get a little perplexed though when the hint of anything negative regarding vaccines - like the article mentioning potential mutations or documented negative side affects some people have experienced with the vaccines - are automatically stamped with an anti-vaxx label and threated with silence.

Ken_FSU

« Reply #163 on: July 30, 2021, 11:44:33 AM »
Should hospitals also deny care to those who chain smoke cigarettes or eat 8 McDonalds Happy Meals a day? It's the same concept as denying helping someone who's unvaxxed.

Fair counterpoint to an admittedly unrealistic suggestion, coming from an emotional rather than rational place of deep frustration and disappointment with my fellow man, in a city with a 27.5% positive test rate and a white-hot fourth wave showing no sign of slowing, despite every single adult in the city having the opportunity to walk into Walgreens and come out five minutes later protected from the virus.

I do wish we could put the squeeze on the unvaccinated population through lockdowns and limited access to public amenities.

When you look at vaccination data from a demographic perspective though, it's clear that - aside from watching loved ones die - education remains the strongest tool in the fight against COVID-19. I probably shouldn't use the word "idiots" so liberally in regards to the unvaccinated when there's such strong socioeconomic correlations between vaccine refusal and lack of education and minority status. It's probably easier to be distrustful of the government when you're already feeling disenfranchised, when there's so much bad information out there, when the governor and CDC are so wishy-washy, and when you might not necessarily have the critical thinking skills to put all the pieces together on your own.

Ultimately, I think the best thing we can do individually is to just keep working on the unvaccinated within our own circles and pounding the data into them as much as we can.

Like this hot education campaign just launched by the Civic Council, seven local health systems, and a rad Downtown Jax advertising agency.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/jacksonville-civic-council-launches-effort-to-boost-vaccination-rates

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #164 on: July 30, 2021, 11:47:24 AM »

One job, Jacksonville.

One job.

It's easy to blame the unvaccinated for spreading the virus - but as you said, the CDC has now finally admitted that vaccinated people can still spread the virus. And as they are likely asymptomatic, they have no idea they are doing so. So no one knows who is responsible for the spread - but we can tell who is getting sick from the virus (and most of the serious cases are unvaccinated people). But anyone can spread it - so wear a damn mask if you can't avoid going out.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”