Author Topic: DeSantis Signs 94 Laws, Vetoes 4 Others  (Read 10458 times)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: DeSantis Signs 94 Laws, Vetoes 4 Others
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2022, 04:31:04 PM »
I guess the good news is snowbirds voting in Florida seems to be bipartisan... I can't help but think of the irony. Trump followers claim voter fraud... democrats say there isn't any or it's not significant yet here we are. Lol.  Additionally ironic is that republicans have been pushing for better enforcement of voter ID to help prevent fraud but are stymied at every turn by democrats who claim there is no fraud... perhaps we have found a bipartisan issue that everyone agrees needs to be corrected...

Hilarious...  :) 8)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Snaketoz

« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2022, 05:12:11 PM »
BT, I don't feel like all the snowbirds are voting in a way that breaks the law.  I think they vote the way they would vote up North, but do it here.  It may affect the way Florida is run, but they may not feel the full results of their vote when they're back up North. We full timers feel the results all year.  They could vote against taxing newcomers, condo dwellers, new developments, saving themselves money, but making us have to pay more.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2022, 05:23:19 PM »
BT, I don't feel like all the snowbirds are voting in a way that breaks the law.  I think they vote the way they would vote up North, but do it here.  It may affect the way Florida is run, but they may not feel the full results of their vote when they're back up North. We full timers feel the results all year.  They could vote against taxing newcomers, condo dwellers, new developments, saving themselves money, but making us have to pay more.
Ah... I see where you are coming from. I certainly understand your concern and I agree that it is doubtful these folks are intentionally breaking the law to influence elections. If I were still a Florida resident I would support a strengthening of residency status with regards to voting.  How would you suggest enforcement?  Without a national database or voter registration this is going to be an issue in "retirement " states. 
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Snaketoz

« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2022, 07:27:22 PM »
Some sort of national registration sounds like a good idea.  Most people of working/voting age have a social security card.  Why can't voting info/registration be included?  If we had a national voter data bank we could help keep people from voting in more than one polling place.  It's very likely (I think) that there are a lot of people voting more than in one jurisdiction.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2022, 07:43:39 PM »
Some sort of national registration sounds like a good idea.  Most people of working/voting age have a social security card.  Why can't voting info/registration be included?  If we had a national voter data bank we could help keep people from voting in more than one polling place.  It's very likely (I think) that there are a lot of people voting more than in one jurisdiction.

^ Exhibit A:  Mark Meadows, Trump's Chief of Staff.  I believe, at last count, he was registered in 3 states.  No. Carolina just "de-registered" him.  No wonder Trump is an "expert" on voter fraud :).

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2022, 06:46:24 AM »

^ Exhibit A:  Mark Meadows, Trump's Chief of Staff.  I believe, at last count, he was registered in 3 states.  No. Carolina just "de-registered" him.  No wonder Trump is an "expert" on voter fraud :).

It is unlikely you will find republicans against the tightening of voter registration... it is the democrats who oppose it... hey JLT... when you post an allegation like that you really should post a link to back it up...

vicupstate

« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2022, 02:58:23 PM »
[https://www.npr.org/2021/09/09/1035687247/florida-anti-riot-law-ron-desantis-george-floyd-black-lives-matter-protests

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Florida's new "anti-riot" law championed by Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis as a way to quell violent protests is unconstitutional and cannot be enforced, a federal judge ruled Thursday.

The 90-page decision by U.S. District Judge Mark Walker in Tallahassee found the recently-enacted law "vague and overbroad" and amounted to an assault on First Amendment rights of free speech and assembly as well as the Constitution's due process protections.

People engaged in peaceful protest or innocently in the same area when a demonstration turned violent could face criminal charges and stiff penalties under the law, the judge said.

A key issue is defining what the word "riot" means in the statute. Walker noted that past Florida laws sought to prevent demonstrations that could threaten segregationist Jim Crow-era practices.

"If this court does not enjoin the statute's enforcement, the lawless actions of a few rogue individuals could effectively criminalize the protected speech of hundreds, if not thousands, of law-abiding Floridians," Walker wrote.

"It unfortunately takes only a handful of bad actors to transform a peaceful protest into a violent public disturbance," the judge added.

DeSantis said during an appearance in New Port Richey that the state will take its case to the Atlanta-based 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. The governor called the ruling by Walker a "foreordained conclusion" and has said he frequently prevails when appealing Tallahassee judges' orders.

The law, also known as HB1, stiffens penalties for crimes committed during a riot or violent protest. It allows authorities to detain arrested protesters until a first court appearance and establishes new felonies for organizing or participating in a violent demonstration.

It also makes it a second-degree felony, punishable by up to 10 years in prison, to destroy or demolish a memorial, plaque, flag, painting, structure or other object that commemorates historical people or events.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2022, 04:48:35 PM »
Meh… apparently this was expected.

vicupstate

« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2022, 05:30:41 PM »
Meh… apparently this was expected.

I'm not a lawyer, but a JUDGE agrees with me and others on here about what this bill is and what it does. What he is saying it does should disturb the hell out of anyone that doesn't what to live in an authoritarian nation.   

This is by no means the first time a major FL bill has been found unconstitutional. Maybe they need to hire some lawyers in Tallahassee before they pass these bills.   
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2022, 06:25:48 PM »

.... hey JLT... when you post an allegation like that you really should post a link to back it up...

BT, I guess, somehow, Fox News didn't cover this.  What a surprise. :).  And, these are GOP friendly states. 

Here you go: 

Officials: Mark Meadows was registered to vote in 3 states
Meg KinnardAssociated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. — Mark Meadows — a former chief of staff to President Donald Trump who was removed from North Carolina voter rolls earlier this month — is still a registered voter in two other states, according to officials and a published report.

Chris Whitmire, a spokesperson for the South Carolina Elections Commission, told The Associated Press the former Republican congressman and his wife registered as voters in the state in March 2022.

"That's when he became active," Whitmire said, noting that neither Meadows had yet cast a vote in the state. "From our perspective, it just looks like any new South Carolina voter."

The South Carolina registration was first reported by The Washington Post, which noted that Meadows had been a registered voter simultaneously in three states — the Carolinas and Virginia — until North Carolina removed him from its rolls earlier this month. Meadows remains a registered Virginia voter, the paper reported. An email sent by The Associated Press to the Virginia Department of Elections was not immediately returned Friday.

Mark and Debra Meadows bought a home on picturesque Lake Keowee for $1.6 million in July, according to records for the property, which was listed on their South Carolina voter registration records.

The former North Carolina congressman appeared in South Carolina earlier this week with members of the state Legislature's newly formed Freedom Caucus, an offshoot of a similar conservative group that Meadows helped found on the federal level while serving in the U.S. House.

A representative for Meadows declined to comment Friday on the South Carolina voter registration.

Public records indicate Meadows had been registered to vote in Virginia and North Carolina, where he listed a mobile home that he never owned — and may never have visited — weeks before casting an absentee 2020 presidential election ballot in the state. Trump, for whom Meadows was serving as chief of staff in Washington at the time, won the battleground state by just over 1 percentage point.

Last month, North Carolina Attorney General Josh Stein's office asked the State Bureau of Investigation to investigate.

About a year after he registered in North Carolina, Meadows registered to vote in Alexandria, Virginia, just weeks before Virginia's high-profile governor's election last fall, the records indicate.

Meadows frequently raised the prospect of voter fraud before the 2020 presidential election — as polls showed Trump trailing now-President Joe Biden — and in the months after Trump's loss, to suggest Biden was not the legitimate winner.

Judges, election officials in both parties and Trump's own attorney general have concluded there was no evidence of widespread voter fraud in the 2020 election. Experts point to isolated incidents of intentional or unintentional violations of voter laws in every election.

Whitmire, the South Carolina elections spokesman, said that when he registered with South Carolina, Meadows should have notified any other jurisdictions of his new status.

Through the Electronic Registration Information Center, a consortium through which states exchange data about voter registration, Whitmire also said officials periodically pull voter lists and remove those who have more recently registered in a new state.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2022/04/25/mark-meadows-voter-registration-3-states/7444718001/

And...

Amid election fraud investigation, NC removes Mark Meadows from voter rolls
Joel Burgess
Asheville Citizen Times

ASHEVILLE, N.C. - Mark Meadows has been removed from North Carolina's voter rolls, a move made as the State Bureau of Investigation continues a probe into allegations the former White House chief of staff committed election fraud.

Macon County Board of Elections Director Melanie Thibault confirmed April 12 that she had removed Meadows the prior day from the county's active voter list. Thibault said she consulted N.C. Board of Elections staff in Raleigh after finding records that Meadows was registered both in Virginia and North Carolina.

"What I found was that he was also registered in the state of Virginia. And he voted in a 2021 election. The last election he voted in Macon County was in 2020," she said.

The state law under which he was removed was General Statute 163-57, which says, "if a person goes into another state, county, municipality, precinct, ward, or other election district, or into the District of Columbia, and while there exercises the right of a citizen by voting in an election, that person shall be considered to have lost residence in that State, county, municipality, precinct, ward, or other election district from which that person removed."

Meadows spokesperson Ben Williamson did not respond to a request for comment.

Meadows, an ex-Asheville and Western North Carolina congressman – former top staffer for President Donald Trump and a leading proponent of the false claim that Trump lost the election due to widespread fraud – has not commented on the allegations since news broke in March that he registered to vote at a single-wide mobile home in Macon County where there is no evidence he ever lived. Meadows voted absentee using that address in the 2020 general election.

SBI spokesperson Anjanette Grube did not immediately respond to a message asking if the change in registration had any significance to the investigation.

Thibault said Virginia records show that when Meadows registered in that state, he did not include information about his Macon County registration. Because of that, Virginia election officials did not notify N.C. officials about the double registration, she said.

It is a normal practice to remove voters in such a way, Thibault said.

The registration of Meadows' wife Debra remains active for the Scaly Mountain, N.C., address, which neither she nor her husband ever owned.

News first broke of the unlikely voter address with March 6 New Yorker story that cited interviews with neighbors, the owner and former owner who said Debra Meadows rented the home and stayed there a few nights, but Mark Meadows was never seen there.

Macon County Republican voters interviewed by the Citizen Times expressed skepticism a powerful member of the president's staff lived in the small home with a rusted roof.

An N.C. woman who said she was prosecuted for mistakenly voting while on probation, meanwhile, called for Meadows to face a similar fate.

On March 17, the SBI announced its investigation. That followed a letter from District Attorney Ashley Hornsby-Welch — whose responsibilities include Macon County — to the N.C. Department of Justice recusing herself from the matter because of a campaign contribution she received from Meadows.

More recently, Meadows, a top member of the Conservative Partnership Institute, has stopped speaking at CPI-sponsored statewide Election Integrity Summits. The summits show how to organize "citizen election integrity task forces" to check on people's voter records to ensure they live where they have registered.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2022/04/13/mark-meadows-removed-nc-voter-rolls/7302536001/

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2022, 06:06:44 AM »
Lol... I haven't watched a minute of fox news in years.(But apparently you do...)  Sounds like the system works.  To be honest I am probably still registered to vote in Florida. There really doesn't seem to be a automatic method of de registering and when moving... that might be really low on the old priority list. I  certainly never gave it a thought...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 06:25:36 AM by BridgeTroll »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2022, 07:14:45 AM »
Sooo... I  just checked and sure enough... I am still a registered NPA voter in Duval. Apparently simply registering in a new state doesn't clear you from the old. I actually tried to un register or de register and there doesn't seem to be a mechanism to do it.  Hell... I may be voter eligible in multiple states...lol...

jaxoNOLE

« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2022, 09:30:39 AM »
States attempt to keep up-to-date by performing regular voter roll purges, but like everything these days, even that activity stirs controversy. The following position piece is opinion, but lays out arguments on both sides:

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/crsj/publications/human_rights_magazine_home/voting-rights/-use-it-or-lose-it---the-problem-of-purges-from-the-registration0/

Being registered to vote in multiple jurisdictions is not evidence of intent to commit fraud.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2022, 03:41:40 PM »
DeSantis struck down again.  Does anyone have a scorecard of how many lawsuits DeSantis & Co. have lost so far?  Such a waste of taxpayer dollars.

DeSantis-appointed judge signals Florida's congressional map is unconstitutional for diminishing Black representation

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/11/politics/florida-desantis-congressional-map/index.html

MusicMan

« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2022, 09:49:09 AM »
What's the status of this? Thought it was stayed....