Author Topic: Sights and Scenes: Downtown Memphis  (Read 5721 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Sights and Scenes: Downtown Memphis
« on: June 14, 2021, 08:50:44 AM »

Sights and scenes around the streets of Downtown Memphis.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/sights-and-scenes-downtown-memphis/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

Re: Sights and Scenes: Downtown Memphis
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 11:53:34 AM »
Another great photo essay.  So glad they were able to save part of Beale Street.  It looks like they have a good stock of older buildings, ready for redevelopment.

Would like a little more info on the 3-story facade held up by braces, and the interesting entrance that has "DRISY" (I think) on it, and on Blue Note Alley (just below the Drisy photo).

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 01:41:30 PM »
Beale Street before revitalization was very similar to Broad Street in LaVilla or APR in the Eastside (what's left of APR is a bit longer than the Beale strip). Basically, some old buildings and a bunch of vacant lots due to urban renewal. What you see there today is the result of +30 years of adaptive reuse and complimentary infill.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 05:00:34 PM »
Another great photo essay.  So glad they were able to save part of Beale Street.  It looks like they have a good stock of older buildings, ready for redevelopment.

Would like a little more info on the 3-story facade held up by braces, and the interesting entrance that has "DRISY" (I think) on it, and on Blue Note Alley (just below the Drisy photo).

The entrance is an old theatre - it's Daisy, not Drisy.  I took a picture of this years ago when I was in Memphis.  Here's a summary of the history.  http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/10962
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Charles Hunter

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 05:24:05 PM »
Very interesting.  Even in the pic at the your link, the "A" looks a bit like an "R"  :)
Glad they were able to preserve it.
I figured it was either a theater (movie or stage), or maybe a Masonic or Shriner -type hall.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 08:14:36 AM »

Is Beale street something a self-respecting city should strive for?  I mean, ok, so some old buildings are still around.  But it's this sorta blah touristy come and get drunk in what's not really Memphis while in Memphis thing.   Like just a giant outdoor bar.  Not sure it's worth it.

But I'm partial to things like the Stax Museum

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 08:26:01 AM »

Is Beale street something a self-respecting city should strive for?  I mean, ok, so some old buildings are still around.  But it's this sorta blah touristy come and get drunk in what's not really Memphis while in Memphis thing.   Like just a giant outdoor bar.  Not sure it's worth it.

Downtown Memphis is not particularly impressive. However, on its worst Saturday... Beale Street is more bustling than Downtown Jax's best Saturday.  You also get the very real impression that Beale Street was a place where food and music collided historically, in a big way.  Compare that with Broad Street or Ashely Street in LaVilla, where there aren't even any signs among the empty buildings and lots (nonetheless any active music halls, restaurants, etc) that tell you that blues, jazz and minstrels were once a major part of this once-proud neighborhood- and contributed just as much to modern-day music and food than what occurred in Memphis.

Also in Jacksonville, crotchety boomers complain about kids on scooters.   Why the f@ck anyone thinks DT Jax shouldn't learn from Beale Street, is exactly why DT Jax is dead and full of torn down buildings replaced by grass-strewn empty lots.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 08:31:25 AM by fieldafm »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 09:26:30 AM »

Promotion of your history in a manner that is economically lifting is certainly something every city and community should strive for. Clustering complimentary development together is also something that makes sense for a community. Doesn't mean it has to be disneyfied but the process behind successful revitalization efforts is worth exploring, both for what to do and what not to do.

We can definitely do better than this:

Downtown Osprey

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 10:06:54 AM »
^^^ instead we are on our 10th round of renderings for the Shipyards, another round of Landing Renderings on the horizon while this piece of musical and cultural history sits and rots away. It's truly pathetic and sad.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2021, 08:23:49 AM »

Good points + views on Beale.  Thank you.