Author Topic: Florida Times-Union property under contract; $250 million project planned  (Read 16184 times)

jaxlongtimer

Re: Florida Times-Union property under contract; $250 million project planned
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2021, 10:57:22 PM »
If I were the developer, I would look at putting the restaurant along the river (sunset views should be great! - especially if they add a rooftop eating/bar section) with some nice greenspace surrounding it for outdoor eating. I would connect it with well-defined pedestrian corridors to Riverside Avenue (there should be lots of potential foot traffic from the existing residential, office and hotels already in Brooklyn) and the bases of hotel, office and/or residential midrises built along Riverside Ave that have ground floor retail/activity centers and/or residential (maybe with a little retail, as suggested, to service the bikers, walkers and kayakers on the Emerald Trail/creek) facing the creek .   This should generate some built in traffic and buzz to support the restaurant.  I would put the parking structure (little or no surface lots) in the center of the property recognizing that the riverfront, creekfront and street frontage at the property edges are the most valuable square footages.

Given the potential to attract Riverwalk, Brooklyn pedestrian and creek/Emerald Trail traffic on a "spontaneous" basis, the restaurant should be a casual (i.e. jeans, shorts, nice outdoor wear, etc.) and mid-priced affair .

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2021, 02:12:04 PM »
If I were the developer, I would look at putting the restaurant along the river (sunset views should be great! - especially if they add a rooftop eating/bar section) with some nice greenspace surrounding it for outdoor eating. I would connect it with well-defined pedestrian corridors to Riverside Avenue (there should be lots of potential foot traffic from the existing residential, office and hotels already in Brooklyn) and the bases of hotel, office and/or residential midrises built along Riverside Ave that have ground floor retail/activity centers and/or residential (maybe with a little retail, as suggested, to service the bikers, walkers and kayakers on the Emerald Trail/creek) facing the creek .   This should generate some built in traffic and buzz to support the restaurant.  I would put the parking structure (little or no surface lots) in the center of the property recognizing that the riverfront, creekfront and street frontage at the property edges are the most valuable square footages.

Given the potential to attract Riverwalk, Brooklyn pedestrian and creek/Emerald Trail traffic on a "spontaneous" basis, the restaurant should be a casual (i.e. jeans, shorts, nice outdoor wear, etc.) and mid-priced affair .
"Over great" recommendation. Most sensible proposal (outside of maybe 2 others) that I've seen yet.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialagency.com; thank you!!!

fsu813

« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2021, 03:00:24 PM »

Something tells me The Jaxon followers will need to express our opinions loud and clear to the DDRB when the time comes.

Here here.

And if you're interested in this issue, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there's only one organization (with paid staff) that is consistently advocating for great design in key spaces right now, and that's Scenic Jacksonville. Going to meetings, lobbying, using expertise to build consensus and pressure.

Built design is part of their mission - if having a better built and natural environment is your jam, get engaged with them.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 10:41:01 PM by fsu813 »

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2021, 06:37:06 PM »
And if you're interested in this issue, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there's only one organization (with paid staff) that is consistently advocating for great design in key spaces right now, and that's Scenic Jacksonville

Excuse me while I throw up. 

fsu813

« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2021, 10:37:43 PM »
And if you're interested in this issue, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there's only one organization (with paid staff) that is consistently advocating for great design in key spaces right now, and that's Scenic Jacksonville

Lol. Well, is there another? If so, they didn't show up or give input: https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/dia-approves-dollar182-2-million-times-union-site-plan-with-first-phase-restaurant

Wish the local AIA and planning chapters could be more engaged in advocacy, but I don't think they feel it's their role, necessarily.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 10:53:59 PM by fsu813 »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2021, 11:48:27 PM »
The local planning chapter has been involved with public policy and working with historically excluded neighborhoods that need planning the most. In downtown, the local APA chapter reviewed Boyer's draft zoning overlay rewrite and had her adjust the boundaries to make sure LaVilla was actually within the LaVilla district. Something that most won't care too much about at the high level, but will be instrumental in helping that area of downtown eventually redevelop with its own character and sense of place very different from the rest of the central business district. I believe AIA has been heavily involved with the riverfront and some of its members were very vocal about the Landing getting torn down and went as far as even to provide free concepts of what a renovated and modified space could be. From my experience, the lion's share of effective advocacy work is done before showing up to public meetings.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

fsu813

« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2021, 08:56:17 AM »
From my experience, the lion's share of effective advocacy work is done before showing up to public meetings.

Definitely.

There's also something to going on the record.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2021, 09:49:58 AM »
Lol. Well, is there another?
Looking through the roster of Scenic Jax, it looks like a bunch of retirees who are keeping busy and getting involved.  While I support that, I think it's a lot of their ideologies that got Jacksonville in the situation it's in.  We need younger people to step up, but they're kind of busy right now.  It used to be one wage earner could provide for a family of 4 with a nice house, two cars, a country club membership and a dog in the yard.  Work for 30 years and then retire and collect social security...  Wages have decreased compared to inflation, social security is gone, houses and cars cost 10 times what they used to, and what's not flooded in the world is currently on fire.  So maybe the people who have run the world into the ground should take a break from telling the rest of us what's best for us and just sit this one out.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2021, 10:10:29 AM »
Lol. Well, is there another?
Looking through the roster of Scenic Jax, it looks like a bunch of retirees who are keeping busy and getting involved.  While I support that, I think it's a lot of their ideologies that got Jacksonville in the situation it's in.  We need younger people to step up, but they're kind of busy right now.  It used to be one wage earner could provide for a family of 4 with a nice house, two cars, a country club membership and a dog in the yard.  Work for 30 years and then retire and collect social security...  Wages have decreased compared to inflation, social security is gone, houses and cars cost 10 times what they used to, and what's not flooded in the world is currently on fire.  So maybe the people who have run the world into the ground should take a break from telling the rest of us what's best for us and just sit this one out.
Here here; and I agree. But if "some" of the young people do step up or want to step up (because yes most are busy like we were), they need to really pay attention, do the research and analysis, and stop shooting off of the hip as most do and really pay attention to what's needed. I did mine, and you did yours too captain zissou I would guess (you may still be working but I am retired), but I still stay on top of my field of expertise and what they're doing in the work sector(s) (not just mine but others as well), and out in the field, and sometimes the young ones (younguns) upset me and make me mad as they come up with only THEIR ideas on the way things should work and not consider all areas and sectors of our demographic; there.......I said it, carry on.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialagency.com; thank you!!!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2021, 10:11:11 AM »
From my experience, the lion's share of effective advocacy work is done before showing up to public meetings.

Definitely.

There's also something to going on the record.

Yes, going on the record also takes place before the meetings as well. When you can combine to two, the public support in the end does make things easier for politicians to push through.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

tufsu1

« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2021, 12:27:06 PM »

Lol. Well, is there another? If so, they didn't show up or give input: https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/dia-approves-dollar182-2-million-times-union-site-plan-with-first-phase-restaurant

Wish the local AIA and planning chapters could be more engaged in advocacy, but I don't think they feel it's their role, necessarily.

Perhaps the qualm isn't with Scenic Jax being the only organization with paid staff - maybe its associating them with advocating for "great design"

fsu813

« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2021, 01:42:02 PM »

Perhaps the qualm isn't with Scenic Jax being the only organization with paid staff - maybe its associating them with advocating for "great design"

Care to elaborate? A penny for your thoughts.

For example, regarding the Morris property, I believe they are simply advocating for something better than typical, suburban mid-level architecture and site plan. Which is what the comments on this website also reflect, unless I'm mistaken. Bringing that issue into the public discourse (higher expectations/standards for prime locations, including riverfront development) seems like a positive. I believe they also gave input that aligned with this website's thoughts on the development near MOSH (apartments & restaurant). I know they're heavily involved in pushing for a master plan for riverfront development, something this website has also advocated for (a Downtown masterplan), and which resulted in the Jessie Ball DuPont riverfront study now being analyzed. And smaller items too, like ensuring the new Regions Bank signage in Downtown wasn't too billboard-ish. Etc.

I obviously think very highly of this website and it's contributors, especially the expertise it brings, and I haven't noticed any obvious conflicts of view between it and SJ opinions on place making, design, development, etc.

To Captains remark, I'm associated with Scenic Jacksonville. I think they realize passing the torch is a priority, hence, my & and a couple others under 50 humble presence (we'll see that increase soon, I believe). Bill Brinton, legendary local activist, more or less founded the organization and the type of work it focuses on. Built design is one of four focus areas, all are related to the visual quality-of-life of Jacksonville - "scenic".

Anyway, my original message was: be engaged. Advocate whatever way you're comfortable with, though it's always good to get out of our comfort zones now & again, as well. Support those that are planting flags for expecting something more in Jacksonville, whether it be this website, SJ, etc.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 01:44:58 PM by fsu813 »

sandyshoes

Am I the only one who is drooling over the thought of owning a handsome coffee-table photo book chronicling the decades inside the old Times-Union building...there is certainly enough local talent afoot to make it happen!  It would be a shame for those photos - if they exist - to be lost forever.  Surely there are still some photogs and reporters with stories to tell.  Please?  Ennis, the Author Laureate??