Author Topic: NoCo and SoBa?  (Read 16296 times)

landfall

Re: NoCo and SoBa?
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2021, 04:43:33 PM »
Reminds me of that South Park episode.

acme54321

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2021, 04:57:41 PM »
Yep, you can't make this shit up

Fallen Buckeye

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2021, 11:02:38 PM »
I have some connections with the College of Journalism and Communications at UF. I'm considering trying to connect them with DIA to have some of the Communications Masters students take this downtown rebrand on as a capstone project. Does anyone know who would be the best contact to approach in DIA to make this happen?

I think this would be the type of project that's perfect for strengthening the Jax-UF connection, and a bunch of students couldn't do much worse than what's presented in the survey.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2021, 11:16:46 PM »
^ There are also web sites where you can crowd-source a great logo for only a few dollars (e.g. under $200).  Tens of thousands of designers from all over the world can decide if they want to compete for your monetary award.  If they have interest, they submit their logo design.  You pick the winner from all those options.  I understand that even Fortune 500 companies have used these sites with great outcomes.

Here is a link for a list of some such sites:  https://www.tailorbrands.com/blog/logo-design-contest
Ready to create a logo for your brand but aren’t sure where to start?

Instead of relying on one designer or agency to create your logo, you can crowdsource the job by starting a logo design contest.

How does it work? Easy! Submit your logo design brief, and hundreds of professional designers will create a logo just for you. When the deadline is up, choose your favorite design, finalize it, and then it’s yours.

If you decide to use a logo design contest, you’ll find that one of its most significant advantages is the sheer number of ideas pouring in, with none of the hassles of waiting for one designer to create something you like.

There are plenty of companies out there that let you create a design contest, and we’ve put together a list for you of the best ones to check out.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 11:36:04 PM by jaxlongtimer »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2021, 11:11:21 AM »
I just can’t grasp why it’s so hard for this city to simply follow the model that’s worked everywhere else for hundreds of years instead of sending out wrecking balls, clown cars, and logos with no rhyme or reason.

Could it be that a more inclusive, community engaged and market driven approach to revitalization has not been the most important thing traditionally? Call me a cynic, but it seems in the past that downtown revitalization has become a play to play, politically connected game over the years. That's about the only logical reason I can come up with why we've refused to follow simple proven models over the years.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jdog

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2021, 04:37:38 PM »
They know how to make a rebrand.  They just don’t know how to grow a brand.  Anybody can keep rebranding and rebranding.  But you have to grow and develop the brand.  And that’s really the most important part.

Jdog

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2021, 05:03:11 PM »
...aside from watching too much Seinfeld during the pandemic, I took the survey.  Narratives were atrocious.  Same with most of the logos.  The Southbank and Lavilla colors and scheme seemed pretty good to me though.

Maybe Jacksonville should just be Jacksonville.  If you tout the river as your front yard why in the hell would you bury saying Northbank and Southbank for downtown?  Heck I liked saying Townbound to describe my direction on the Arlington Ex.  Nice and homey.  Call that small town and amateur if you want but at least it’s real.

vicupstate

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2021, 08:11:14 PM »
We need more people in leadership with proven track records pushing other cities forward. Otherwise it’s just going to be more musical aspirations for decades to come.

I believe that was tried with both the Convention/Visitor's Bureau and the DDA (the previous incarnation of DIA).  I don't remember the name but someone from San Diego was hired to run the CVB and while they seemed capable, they saw the city wasn't making progress on the Convention Center (among other things) and moved on rather than stagnate their career. Paul Krutko was making major headway in bring residential to DT JAX back in the early 2000's (11 E., Carling, Parks @ the Cathedral, among others), then he was hired away to be Economic Development chief at a bigger city after being passed over for the same position in JAX.     

You can bring in the superstar staff level people, but the city leadership is either going to impede them or drive them off, if they are not with the program too.   
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2021, 08:35:26 PM »
I don't remember the name but someone from San Diego was hired to run the CVB and while they seemed capable, they saw the city wasn't making progress on the Convention Center (among other things) and moved on rather than stagnate their career.

Looked it up: John Reyes. Served as CEO of Visit Jacksonville (which is what the CVB is now) from 2005 to 2010 during Peyton's admin, left for Monterey County, California's CVB, spent nearly a decade in California and now is an SVP for Hawaii's VCB.

You can bring in the superstar staff level people, but the city leadership is either going to impede them or drive them off, if they are not with the program too.   

Yeah, in the end it all comes down to where the buck stops.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2021, 09:21:21 PM »
Scaring off top quality super star people, and/or forcing them out by not giving them what they need is evidence of the type and caliber of people we have here in Jax running our city government; and...the good ole boy network might have impeded prosperity and success in our city, but these newbies, most of whom are not even native Jaxson's, are doing an even worse job than the good ole boys by destroying our city and doing nothing to replace the destruction. Sheesh!!!
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialagency.com; thank you!!!

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2021, 10:56:54 PM »
^ If you look at Curry's past picks for JEA, Kids Hope Alliance, the Housing Authority, Brian Hughes... Aside from nonsupporting and incompetent leadership at the top, we have failed to hire some first class national applicants that were interested in coming here in favor of beholden friends of the mayor.  The failed results are predictable.

Even Lori Boyer... while coming into the her DIA job as an effective council person has mostly kissed the mayor's ring because she is a political appointment, not a professional one.  Unfortunately, with Curry in office, I believe he has managed to effectively convert Nat Ford into more of a politician, than a professional, lately.  Not sure about the other current authority figures, maybe the Port would be next on my list to think about.

Overall, its all about the Curry machine for now.  That's enough to scare off any competent persons.

jaxoNOLE

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2021, 01:39:43 AM »
^ If you look at Curry's past picks for JEA, Kids Hope Alliance, the Housing Authority, Brian Hughes... Aside from nonsupporting and incompetent leadership at the top, we have failed to hire some first class national applicants that were interested in coming here in favor of beholden friends of the mayor.  The failed results are predictable.

Even Lori Boyer... while coming into the her DIA job as an effective council person has mostly kissed the mayor's ring because she is a political appointment, not a professional one.  Unfortunately, with Curry in office, I believe he has managed to effectively convert Nat Ford into more of a politician, than a professional, lately.  Not sure about the other current authority figures, maybe the Port would be next on my list to think about.

Overall, its all about the Curry machine for now.  That's enough to scare off any competent persons.

Administratively, maybe, but parties on both side of the aisle have realized how easy it is to run against the non-transparency of the Curry administration. There are no legitimate coattails to ride.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 12:34:07 PM by jaxoNOLE »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2021, 08:23:44 AM »
Perhaps overcoming the politically incorrect President Jackson is just too much...  We probably need to begin rebranding the city name from Jacksonville to... maybe Springfield... or Duval...  :)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2021, 03:41:52 PM »
Perhaps overcoming the politically incorrect President Jackson is just too much...  We probably need to begin rebranding the city name from Jacksonville to... maybe Springfield... or Duval...  :)
Maybe there's some kind of curse associated with that man, or the name. The name Duval suits me just fine; after Florida's first Governor William Pope Duval. Or...Duvalton, or, Duval City.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialagency.com; thank you!!!

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2021, 03:15:48 AM »
^ Really, we should name the city after the first inhabitants to live here, the Timucua.  From Wikipedia, the name they had for what is now Jacksonville is Saturiwa.  The larger area was known as the Mocama (Timuca for "ocean") Province.  Either name might be a good choice for Jacksonville if it went through a name change.  There are many city and state names derived from Native Americans so this would just be another example of that. 

Another benefit of picking such a name is that, aside from having a real historical connection to the area (Andrew Jackson never stepped foot in Jacksonville), there wouldn't be a half dozen or more cities with the same name.  We would have a unique identity and it would give us a fresh start on building a new brand and image sans the baggage of our often less than illustrious history.
The largest and best known of the eastern Timucua groups were the Mocama, who lived in the coastal areas of what are now Florida and southeastern Georgia, from St. Simons Island to south of the mouth of the St. Johns River.[26] They gave their name to the Mocama Province, which became one of the major divisions of the Spanish mission system. They spoke a dialect also known as Mocama (Timucua for "Ocean"), which is the best attested of the Timucua dialects. At the time of European contact, there were two major chiefdoms among the Mocama, the Saturiwa and the Tacatacuru, each of which had a number of smaller villages subject to them.[27]

The Saturiwa were concentrated around the mouth of the St. Johns in what is now Jacksonville, and had their main village on the river's south bank.[28] European contact with the Eastern Timucua began in 1564 when the French Huguenots under René Goulaine de Laudonnière established Fort Caroline in Saturiwa territory. The Saturiwa forged an alliance with the French, and at first opposed the Spanish when they arrived. Over time, however, they submitted to the Spanish and were incorporated into their mission system. The important Mission San Juan del Puerto was established at their main village; it was here that Francisco Pareja undertook his studies of the Timucua language. The Tacatacuru lived on Cumberland Island in present-day Georgia, and controlled villages on the coast. They too were incorporated into the Spanish mission system, with Mission San Pedro de Mocama being established in 1587....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timucua