Author Topic: A eulogy for a fallen theater  (Read 2613 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
A eulogy for a fallen theater
« on: May 13, 2021, 09:08:01 AM »

In this guest editorial, local cinephile Marc Berkovits says goodbye to a Jacksonville theater that didn't survive the COVID-19 pandemic, Regal Beach Boulevard 18.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/a-eulogy-for-a-fallen-theater/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Ken_FSU

Re: A eulogy for a fallen theater
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 07:54:49 PM »
Great little piece, Marc.

As a resident of the beaches, Regal was my go-to for years as well for taking in casual movies that didn't necessarily warrant the full XD experience at Tinseltown.

Legit probably saw 200 movies there over the years.

Many of them after a few beers across the street at Al's, Time Out, Taco Lu, etc.

Place was a dive, but it had a lot of charm.

Great staff too, especially the dude in the wheelchair who tore tickets - maybe my favorite movie theater employee ever.

Only thing I'll add is that, with or without COVID, place was sadly on the way out.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 08:24:13 PM »
I had to have seen movies there 100 times myself over the years, if not more. When it was opened, the Beaches had three movie theaters, and they all closed within a few years. Now Regal is gone due to not keeping up with other theaters. Such is life.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 08:29:29 PM »
That's probably was the only theater still open in town that I've never been too.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Ken_FSU

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 10:02:45 PM »
That's probably was the only theater still open in town that I've never been too.

Reminded me a bit of Governor’s Square Theater in Tallahassee, if you ever went there back in your college days.

The type of place where if you happened to have a heart attack during a movie, there was a good chance no one would notice the body for about a week.

I’m really hoping now that vaccinations are so widespread and now that the CDC is easing restrictions considerably that we start to see movie theaters make a comeback. Saw Mortal Kombat last weekend and forgot how much fun it was to be in a movie theater with other humans. Just can’t replicate that experience at home on HBO Max.