Author Topic: Competing plans surface for proposal to hike gas tax  (Read 2525 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Competing plans surface for proposal to hike gas tax
« on: May 10, 2021, 07:03:09 PM »

Proposal to hike Jacksonville’s gas tax gets pushback as competing plans surface.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/competing-plans-surface-for-proposal-to-hike-gas-tax/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

Re: Competing plans surface for proposal to hike gas tax
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 08:01:21 PM »
[Cynic Mode ON]
Has Bowman declared he is running for Mayor?  This move is a great strategy. [1] Smaller tax increase to please the tax-averse, [2] Dedicate funds to NW Jax, [3] if it fails, he can say he fought the good fight against those greedy tax-and-spend liberals.
[CM OFF]

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 08:33:48 PM »
I've been thinking, is Arlington included at all in any of these plans? I recall there being talks about redoing the whole expressway corridor a decade ago, and this seemed like a good opportunity to put at least some money into that, especially now that there's an administration that could be interested in pitching in for highway removal.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 09:11:04 PM »
Unless FDOT is a major funding partner, I wouldn't spend much on the Arlington Expressway. That thing will suck up the entire LOGT funds and it's not even a local street.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxoNOLE

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 09:33:05 PM »
Not to mention the Mathews bridge. Oof.

I want to say the Arlington Expressway is slated for resurfacing by FDOT in the next several years, but I can't recall where I saw that. JTA also still hasn't responded to my question about how far the University/Merrill complete street project will extend at the funding level in the LOGT plan.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 09:49:27 PM »
From the original LOGT Project List, Arlington has a few projects - but not the reconstruction of the Arlington Expressway

Arlington Projects (in Millions of Dollars)
Roadway and Drainage
$3.0   Lone Star Rd. Ext - Mill Cove to SS Conn
$0.6   Merrill/Townsend Intersection
$0.3   Mickler Rd. widening*
$7.1   University Blvd. Complete Street - Arlington Xway to Arlington Rd
$1.0   University/Merrill Complete Street
----
$12.0 Total

Transit
$16.2 Mayport Ferry - new boat (shared w/ D-13)

* (not THAT Mickler Road, this one is near the Christ the King church and school, south of the Arlington Xway and west of Arlington Road)

To jaxoNOLE - resurfacing of the Arlington Expressway should start this year, funding is in the FY21 (ends June 30, 2021) and FY22

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 10:30:29 AM »

IIRC FDOT has plans to downsize the Arlington freeway at some point in the future.   I'm pretty sure they've stated that traffic studies show the extra $$$$$$$ for the expressway isn't needed.

jaxoNOLE

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 11:55:48 AM »
To jaxoNOLE - resurfacing of the Arlington Expressway should start this year, funding is in the FY21 (ends June 30, 2021) and FY22
Thanks!

IIRC FDOT has plans to downsize the Arlington freeway at some point in the future.   I'm pretty sure they've stated that traffic studies show the extra $$$$$$$ for the expressway isn't needed.

Interesting. I've seen the studies from 2015 recommending conversion to an urban boulevard. Adding a few minutes to the drive downtown to encourage development around the expressway and make it more accessible could be a good idea and a reasonable trade-off, especially if transit is considered. Significantly cutting capacity, in my opinion, would be a mistake. I hate to argue against data-driven traffic studies, but--that expressway is well-used. It reminds me of the studies showing significant portions of Merrill Rd are below capacity, which, as a daily user, is pretty hard to believe.

If I was sitting in traffic on the whole stretch from Southside to the Mathews bridge, I would be going downtown a lot less frequently. I'd be surprised if currently happy downtown workers living in Arlington would want to move downtown to solve for a longer commute.

Arlington should be a fantastic resource for helping the Eastside/Sports District revitalization. Demographically, we're a part of town more inclined to care about the Jaguars and seek out the in-person sports experience. We're large geographically, but some of our neighborhoods are no further from the stadium than Five Points or Riverside. Making it as easy as possible for Arlingtonians to get across the river should be one leg of a strategy for downtown. I'm getting a little off topic, but a park-and-ride either right before or right after crossing the Mathews that connects to an eventual circulator (preferably not of the clown car variety) could make Downtown the preferred dining and entertainment destination for at least the western half of Arlington.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 04:09:36 PM »
Several years ago, the North Florida TPO studied reconfiguring the Arlington Expressway.  But, there is no funding to implement it - there is nothing in the 2045 Long Range Transportation Plan for the Arlington Expressway.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 04:59:54 PM »
^ If I were FDOT, I think I would want to tie any plans for the Arlington Expressway into any future plans for the Matthews Bridge.  At some point, that bridge would seem to age out and/or require a second, adjacent span, if for no other reason, than to increase traffic capacity.  Have the traffic counts on the bridge climbed much over the years, especially with the increased growth along Atlantic Blvd. and maybe Wonderwood?  What are the projections and how much more traffic can the bridge handle over current levels?

marcuscnelson

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 10:50:56 PM »
I thought that'd be a given. Although considering that the existing expressway is built largely to 1950s standards I question how much better it'd be than a modern arterial road as-is.

Personally, my dream would be to see it turned into a boulevard with LRT running down the middle, either crossing a replacement bridge to Downtown or circulating Arlington and down towards Southside. But yes, I realize that'd be a multi-billion-dollar redevelopment, and for whatever reason JTA doesn't seem to have the stomach for rail.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

itsfantastic1

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 11:15:29 PM »
But yes, I realize that'd be a multi-billion-dollar redevelopment, and for whatever reason JTA doesn't seem to have the stomach for rail.

You may be on to something...

If they don't have the stomach for "rail", what about "engine powered, metal guided, autonomous passenger carriers"

marcuscnelson

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2021, 01:24:30 AM »
An alternative would be actually creating a new, funded state authority/commission for rail service in the area, including commuter rail, LRT, & streetcar services. Let JTA do their mobilityworks & run the buses. The name I came up with was NEFTA (Northeast Florida Transportation Authority), which is free to any state legislator that would like to make it happen. ;D

Anyway, I think I've gotten off-topic enough. I watched the public hearing on the gas tax bill today (couldn't make it all the way downtown to say anything), most of the comments were negative, opposing any tax at all because of the pipeline cyberattack & some weird claims that the President is going to cause a recession by signing an infrastructure bill. Some endorsements of Bowman's plan to increase the debt for roads only.

Zac T

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2021, 11:54:10 AM »

Arlington should be a fantastic resource for helping the Eastside/Sports District revitalization. Demographically, we're a part of town more inclined to care about the Jaguars and seek out the in-person sports experience. We're large geographically, but some of our neighborhoods are no further from the stadium than Five Points or Riverside. Making it as easy as possible for Arlingtonians to get across the river should be one leg of a strategy for downtown. I'm getting a little off topic, but a park-and-ride either right before or right after crossing the Mathews that connects to an eventual circulator (preferably not of the clown car variety) could make Downtown the preferred dining and entertainment destination for at least the western half of Arlington.

As a person who travels between Downtown and Arlington almost everyday, I agree 100%. Arlington to me would be a no-brainer for more urban and dense development specifically along the Arlington Expressway, University, and Merrill Rd corridors.